RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: Souperbowl Chili.. Sorry Texans, There Are BEANS In This Chili!

Vendor Sponsor

Souperbowl Chili.. Sorry Texans, There Are BEANS In This Chili!

I know there are chili threads but didn't want to dig one up. This is today's chili for the game. I don't drink anymore so I subbed water for the beer(s) and instead of bell peppers I used chopped Hatch chiles I grew this past year. Same great flavor but a little bit more kick and some nice colors with their reds, browns, and purple hulls.

Here you go, Doug's Own Kick Butt Chili (smaller recipe) enjoy!

Ingredients:

2 1/2 to 3lbs very lean ground beef, preferrably 93/7 (note: you won't have to drain this when it is browned, keeps the flavor better too!)

1 large yellow onion (Vidalia onion preferred, if you can get them)

1 green bell pepper (red and orange add some NICE colors if you like!)

1/2 large celery heart

1/2 lb white mushrooms (portobellos are -nice- in this chili also)

1 24oz can red kidney beans

2 16oz cans chili beans (your choice here, can use black beans, chili flavored beans, etc, mix and match as you wish.)

1 16oz can Del Monte stewed tomatoes

1 16oz can Heinz tomato sauce

1 12oz can corn (any kind, it just adds color and crunchy texture)

1 12oz beer of your choice (3 required, preferrably domestic American brand, one for chili, two for the cook! NOTE: strong European or German beer may be too strong in flavor for this recipe, so don't use say a Guiness extra stout or a black and tan. Stick with something plain unless you -like- bitter chili.)

1/4 cup Old El Paso jalapeno slices, with vinegar (1/8 for less spicy).

1 package Carroll Shelby's chili mix (discard the masa flour, use the seasoning package, cayenne pepper package, and the salt package)

1-2 cloves fresh chopped garlic (or 1 tablespoon minced garlic)

1 tablespoon sugar

Salt, pepper, tabasco sauce or tapatio hot sauce, to taste

1/8 to 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (use to your liking to brown beef and saute vegetables with)

1 tablespoon butter (use along with some olive oil, to saute mushrooms with)

2oz darc chocolate (70% cacao or better)

Start by browning the meat in a large deep skillet, in olive oil. Brown thoroughly, breaking the meat into small pieces as it cooks. Add salt, pepper, and garlic. Place entire contents of skillet in 8qt stockpot and turn heat on medium. (If you used ground meat with higher fat content, drain the meat in a collander before putting it in the pot.)

Add beans, tomato sauce, stewed tomatoes, tomato paste, corn, and one beer.

Coarsely chop onion, saute until semiclear, add a bit of olive oil if you like, then add to pot.

Chop celery and bell pepper to your liking, medium-coarse is good. Saute these in olive oil, add to pot.

Coarsely slice mushrooms, or cut into cubes if you use portobellos. Saute these in a little olive oil and butter, add to pot.

Let chili come to a simmer, stirring often, but do NOT let it stick to the bottom of the pot, or get scorched.

Add the chili mix package, add salt, pepper, jalapeno slices and some of the jalapeno vinegar, add tabasco or tapatio sauce if you like, add the sugar. (If you can't find this Carroll Shelby mix in your grocery store, use chili powder and season to taste).

Once chili begins to simmer well over medium heat, add chocolate, turn heat lower, simmer for 2-3 hours, stirring often to prevent scorching on the bottom, and drink the other two beers during this cooking time.

Serve hot.

This makes a very hearty, rich, meaty chili that is great in cold weather, it warms the bones and sticks to the ribs, people love it.... Feeds about 6-10.

My favorite way to enjoy this kick butt chili? I like it with a grilled cheese sandwich, and plenty of dill pickle slices on the side.

There you have it!

Last edited by DougGuy; 02-01-2015 at 04:56 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Sounds good, what time is supper?
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

Boolit Master

Sounds good most people here use too much chilli powder for my taste.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

In Remembrance

My favorite chili seasoning is Hammet House brand (google it). Meat however you prefer, chunk, ground, with beans , without, all good. Follow directions on .pkt. I became acquainted with this while living in Claremore, Ok and eating at Hammet House Restaurant. It is now shipped from Florida, but is good enough I located it and order it religiously.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

It should have firm beans. I like to use dark red kidney beans or great northerns.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by fatnhappy View Post
    It should have firm beans. I like to use dark red kidney beans or great northerns.

That is some right nice looking victuals, I would sail right on that! (Yes this is the correct spelling of the word "vittles")
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

Man, you have got to post the recipe for that cornbread!

Sigh!!! Amazing what some folks call chili.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Vendor Sponsor

So... Char-gar if we were marooned on a desert island somewhere, starving, and I came across a bowl of this chili, I wouldn't have to worry about you wanting half of it huh?

Banned
    Looks good except for those darn kidney beans. I like chili beans in mine.

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    So... Char-gar if we were marooned on a desert island somewhere, starving, and I came across a bowl of this chili, I wouldn't have to worry about you wanting half of it huh?

Death before dishonor!
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Moderator Emeritus

Pintos on the side for my chili. I hate kidney beans!