Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lube Choices??

Banned
    Buck,

I believe that is 350 Alox.

Joe

Banned
    BUCKS OWEN

If you get LARS carnuba red blend hot enough to melt it I hope you aren't in that type of heat with it, we would become a member short.

It just plain works

Banned
    Yeah the red would probably be better, but let me tell you that I lived in Tulsa, Ok for sometime and I got through the summers with Javelina and really didn't have a problem and I've seen summers that were 115 or so.

Joe

Banned

If it ever got that hot here, my lube would never melt anyway. I would not go outside to shoot and would stay in the basement working on stuff to shoot in the cooler weather.

Boolit Grand Master

I have mentioned before that I have used NRA/Alox for years with excellent results (I also use Emmert's Home Mix for certain things). I had ONE failure. I spent a week at a shooting school in Columbia, Missouri (The Ray Chapman Academy). It was a terrific week. However, it AVERAGED 106 degrees for that week. The range (outdoors) was covered with crushed white limestone. I felt, along with the others, like we were being "Turned on a spit". My .45 ACP ammo (#68 cast semi wadcutters) was lubed with alox/beeswax. I had the ammo in a .50 caliber G.I. ammo can (original O.D. color). I made the error of letting the can sit in the sun no more than TWENTY minutes (after being there several days with no problems). Thereafter, I was plagued with misfires. The lube had melted and migrated to the primer and powder. I got a LOT of experience in "Clearing a .45 auto" however, so all was not lost .

If you keep your ammo in the shade you will be unlikely to have any problems. This was an extremely unusual circumstance (I was only out in it because I was at the school and had spent good money to get there). I met some extremely nice people and got to shoot with the likes of Mike Plaxco and Ray Chapman (a true gentleman) amongst others so it was definitely worth it. Never before or since have I had problems with lube.

I DO take precautions. When I am at a match, I keep the ammo in a cooler. No ice or anything, just the cooler. It cools down at nights (leave it in the van) and stays decent all day in hot weather. I do NOT let ammo sit out in the sun - I do NOT let ammo sit out in the sun,,,

Dale53

Boolit Master

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by StarMetal
    Yeah the red would probably be better, but let me tell you that I lived in Tulsa, Ok for sometime and I got through the summers with Javelina and really didn't have a problem and I've seen summers that were 115 or so.

Joe
    Joe,
    Your slick 50 lube (well my vershion of it, + a little more grease -atf) seems to handle the New Mexico summers ok. And I bet it would handle the tasks at hand also..........Buck
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Banned
    Buck,

Yeah, actually my Slick 50 One lube is a tad harder then the NRA 50/50 stuff, but I make it that way. Still soft enough to work through my luber/sizer without heat. I'm glad it's working for you.

Joe

Boolit Bub
    My best homemade is a molygrease/beeswax recipe that I got off of this site. Decided I didn't like it because of the color. Went back to it because of the performance. Flows nicely thru my RCBS sizer and stays put on the bullets.

Yep, that's something one learns in a hurry when you live in a hot climate. Not just because of melting lube but high pressures too! When I'm out varminting with a "hotrod" jacketed load, they don't sit in the sun! (Or the chamber for very long...)

Think I'll just go with some of the "NRA formula" and see how it goes. Thanks for the input guys....

Dennis

I just got several tubes of Thompson's blue lube from Midway. I thought it would be easier to work with. I haven't given it much thought as to soft sticky lube (like RCBS cold lube) would be any more accurate than a harder lube. I don't shoot in competition so I am not it it would make a big difference to me. Sometimes working with something that is easier is good. I really believe that you guys know more about this subject than me and so now I feel the need to experiment and see for my self. Thanks for everyones two bits on the subject.

Boolit Grand Master

Look up RandyRat here. Get his tac1 and call it done.

Boolit Master

Wow! osteodoc08 I appreciate that a lot.

Many enjoy using TAC1 and it is a very successful lube, but it does have it's limitations for heat, I mean real hot weather. So I worked on a second lube TAC X for warmer weather. It ain't perfect but it works for 99% of applications you need in hot weather.
    If your in 100+ Deg F weather, your in the oven and you better protect your ammo or have a very high melt temp lube.

Chances are your "very high melt lube" won't be worth a darn in cooler temps or at the minimum it won't hold the same zero. Just ask the guys working on the Lube quest, I gotta give em credit, it's a tough challenge and they have given a lot of info out here on their time and dime.

One more thing, the lube has to be easy and affordable to make with ingredients you can find.