RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load Data Lee Precision

View Poll Results: 357mag bolt action...would you buy one?

Voters
790. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

387 48.99%
  • no

148 18.73%
  • maybe

212 26.84%
  • are you smoking crack?

43 5.44%
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: 357mag Bolt action, new on the market

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by NHlever View Post
    When I worked at Ruger, I tried to talk to folks about this, but they were pretty hung up on the .44 mag......
    Curious as to when you were there...

When I attended Armorer's School in NH, 1986 Chris Peters and Dave Flint were the primarys

Got my Ruger the day before yesterday and thanks to redneckdan I got a nice Ruger walnut stock (Midway does not send out of the USA). So far I've only shot some lightweight wadcutters at a soup can, but I've come to conclusion this rifle is going to provide some serious fun and see lots of use. It's very light, low noise and light recoil plus super cheap to use with cast. What more could you want?
    I hope to get it shooting some smallish groups eventually. I've got a few molds and a couple more on the way. Let the fun begin.
    Thanks again redneckdan.

Awesome!!!!
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is final!
    Will kill for food!

Boolit Master
    Interesting that this thread just popped back up as just this weekend I started thinking that a 357 magnum would make a wonderful supressed round. I keep trying to get excited about the 300 whisper, but the extra fast twist barrel just isn't cast friendly, and I have a pile of 35 caliber molds. I figure the 200 gr WFN at 1100 fps would be a reasonable game getter.

I really wanted a Rossi 357 lever action, but it's not really friendly to optics nor the best platform for a supressor. So I started doing some googling and low and behold found the Ruger 77/357. I've never seen one in a gunshop up here, but I think I'll be ordering a stainless one sooner or later.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    8 twist is ok at 1100 fps and lower with the biggie boolits. Just how low of velocity, don't know. If the round did not eject and the bolt did not stay open on last shot, that was the lowest I went when finding the "load" for the gun type. Best was and is 12 grains of the 680 powders. ... felix

If you want the military gun, get the barrel from Wilson's combat WITH the VARIABLE gas return takeoff. His "target" barrel has a longer case called the 40mm. There IS a whale of difference in getting a valid load because the powder limitations will not be severe as with the shorter case called the Blackout. ... felix

Paul, I forgot.....Wilson might NOT make his 40 mm case barrel with a 8 twist. I think I saw 11 twist at one time. However, his offerings are sorta' volatile, so it won't hurt to make a call. However, you can lengthen the chamber of a Blackout to 40 mm yourself provided he will allow you the reamer (specs). Or, he can just do you the barrel himself. ... felix
    Last edited by felix; 10-23-2013 at 03:10 PM.
    felix

Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    8 twist is ok at 1100 fps and lower with the biggie boolits. Just how low of velocity, don't know. If the round did not eject and the bolt did not stay open on last shot, that was the lowest I went when finding the "load" for the gun type. Best was and is 12 grains of the 680 powders. ... felix

If you want the military gun, get the barrel from Wilson's combat WITH the VARIABLE gas return takeoff. His "target" barrel has a longer case called the 40mm. There IS a whale of difference in getting a valid load because the powder limitations will not be severe as with the shorter case
    called the Blackout. ... felix

Paul, I forgot.....Wilson might NOT make his 40 mm case barrel with a 8 twist. I think I saw 11 twist at one time. However, his offerings are sorta' volatile, so it won't hurt to make a call.
    However, you can lengthen the chamber of a Blackout to 40 mm yourself provided he will allow you the reamer (specs). Or, he can just do you the barrel himself. ... felix
    All is true about 7.62x40wt, but it lacks support of manufacturers and works best in modified mags. Also there is a lack of factory brass. The 200 I made for a buddy required two step process to form. For cast the 7.62x35 performs at optimal levels. No matter the cartridge, you're still limited to operating pressures of the brass, action and magazine length.

Boolit Master
    I have enjoyed shooting the 2 .357 rifles I've had for more than 25 years. One is a converted Martini single shot, enough said about that one. The second, and most used is a Springfield Timberwolf pump. 10 shot tube mag in that one, fires much faster than any bolt ever could, 18" barrel, built like a half size 870 shotgun. I had a friend that owned The Old Sacramento Armory, Ed Faust. Ed was also a fair size importer, and before he closed his doors, he imported 10,000 Timberwolf parts kits. These kits were rifles that were made for Springfield by IMI and never finished. By never finished I mean all parts were there in the parts kits,except a few small coil springs and pins. ( needed a FFL for transfer ) Lost contact with Ed, but he advertised these kits in Shotgun news at less than $200 as a kit you assemble. Don't think he sold many, sure not the 10K he imported. I hear someone bought these kits in the pacific north west, who that is, unknown. If you could trace who had the kits, could sure get one of these on the cheap if you were handy, and assemble your own. Ed said before he went out of business, almost no 44 parts, the kits were all .357. The reason prices are so high in the U.S. is there were only about 1000 44 mag rifles imported total. I like the idea of a bolt, but I think the Timberwolf at about 5lbs. and a takedown would be much handier in the field, mine sure is.
    Chris
    Last edited by cwheel; 02-12-2014 at 12:23 AM.

Banned
    this thread still lives...OMG

LOL! Yes it seems to go on and on.
    I still love my Ruger77 .357. I got mine for $550.00 a little while back.
    It Shoots great with cast Accurate molds 160L over Alliant 2400, and with Lee's 125 grain and W231 in .38 special.
    Will kill for food!

Boolit Master

A friend of mine and I each bought one ( 77/357 ). Both are scoped. Neither of them will reliably hit a 11" x 16" paper target at 50 yards with any ammo I can find. ( or load ) Loads that shoot 2" at 50 yards from my TC and my S&W 686 ( both scoped ) included.

Bullet weights 130, 148, 158, 160 at velocities from 700 to 1600 fps cast, swagged, and jacketed.

Has any one had any luck with this model?
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by williamwaco View Post
    A friend of mine and I each bought one ( 77/357 ). Both are scoped. Neither of them will reliably hit a 11" x 16" paper target at 50 yards with any ammo I can find. ( or load ) Loads that shoot 2" at 50 yards from my TC and my S&W 686 ( both scoped ) included.

Bullet weights 130, 148, 158, 160 at velocities from 700 to 1600 fps cast, swagged, and jacketed.

Has any one had any luck with this model?
    I scoped my Ruger 77/357 from post #156.

After reading about your results, I went back and looked for my sight in target.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ruger 77-357 rifle target.jpg 
Views:	627 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	98867

That target was shot at 50 yards on 6/7/12 with a brand new gun that had been previously cleaned, after bore sighting the scope.

I was shooting Fiocchi 357 magnum 142 grain FMJ/TC to sight in, the lower hits were a few rounds of Winchester White Box 38 special 130 grain FMJ to see my holdover between the 38 and the 357 at 50 yards.

I also checked my heavy 357 magnum JHP 158 grain Blue Dot load, and my Lyman 358311 cast 357 magnum load. They both shoot to point of aim at 50.

This obviously is not the best target, but shows the gun has potential while I was dialing in the scope. When sighting in my rifle, I hadn't exactly been planning on posting the target on the Internet a few years later.

My 77/357 will stay on paper plate at 50 yards easily using either factory ammo, or my hand loads.

If I could not reliably hit a paper target at 50, I'd take a close look at the barrel crown. I would also be thinking about sending the rifles back to Ruger for a check over.

Sorry about your results, it sucks when a new gun doesn't shoot as well as is expected. Hopefully it all turns out good.

- Bullwolf
    Last edited by Bullwolf; 09-12-2014 at 10:11 PM.

Bullwolf,
    My results are very similar to yours. My 77/.357 loves the lead.
    These are two different Targets shot at 50 yards. The Boolit is a .36-160L from Accurate molds, lubed with BAC lube and seated over 2400. The more I shoot my Ruger the better it seems to get.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130505_170527_713.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	98869
    Will kill for food!

Boolit Master

Turns out the rear action screw was loose.
    Tightened it up and it shoots just like yours.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Bub

Video of my suppressed 77/357

Does great with heavyweight hunters supply bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by paul h View Post
    Interesting that this thread just popped back up as just this weekend I started thinking that a 357 magnum would make a wonderful supressed round. I keep trying to get excited about the 300 whisper, but the extra fast twist barrel just isn't cast friendly, and I have a pile of 35 caliber molds. I figure the 200 gr WFN at 1100 fps would be a reasonable game getter.

I really wanted a Rossi 357 lever action, but it's not really friendly to optics nor the best platform for a supressor. So I started doing some googling and low and behold found the Ruger 77/357. I've never seen one in a gunshop up here, but I think I'll be ordering a stainless one sooner or later.

Boolit Bub

I'd like to see 357, 41, and 44 mags in Ruger's American line of rifles. I think at that price point they'd sell really well, especially in those states that don't allow centerfire rifle cartridges for deer season.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TCStehle View Post
    I'd like to see 357, 41, and 44 mags in Ruger's American line of rifles. I think at that price point they'd sell really well, especially in those states that don't allow centerfire rifle cartridges for deer season.
    Now you're talking! I'm a big fan of the American line. Here's a pic of my 8 yr old son with his first deer that he got with my .308 predator and can. (Amazing what a can and good recoil pad can do - he's a skinny little guy and shot it like it was his .22!) I also have a .22 mag American and plan to add more. I's jump all over .357 and .44 mag versions.

Boolit Master
    My vote is yes! I need one of those ruger m77/357 rifles.

where rocks are shot at & milk jugs, too...
    I probably won't get my wish, but one in .357 Maximum would be just the ticket for legal deer hunting where I live, I have the 77/44 which is also legal but the .357 Max is great in my Contender properly chambered by Mike Bellm, want to possibly get a carbine barrel chambered by him for this also.
    “Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."

Winston S. Churchill

Walked into a local Pawn shop last week and there on the rack with the others was a Ruger 77/357 with a VX-II scope. We are a 357 family and between the kids and me we now have six. Will be fun to compare targets, this carbine and my Handi. GP

Boolit Master
    Nothing to really do with this thread, but the last two days it has shown up on the "new posts since you last visited" list. I've been keeping up with this thread so clicked on the last post and it is coming up with a post made on 1/10/15 and no new posts. Whats up with that??????

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast