Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Homemade checks work good!

How do you find the products by Charlie Darnall on ebay what do you type in the search area? Must be fairly well hidden. I tried Gas Check Tool and every thing else I could think of.
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
    Life member NRA, USPSA, ISRA
    Life member AF&AM 294

As of this moment, there are none listed on Fleabay. This is a link to an auction that recently ended for one of his tools.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=013

I emailed him yesterday, at present he is resting and not making any gas check tools

TTC
    NRA life member (benefactor)

All the correspondance I've received from his, I can't make heads or tails from it, talks in riddles? Has yet to answer any of my questions directly, answers make no sence. Maybe, he gets so much email, and is trying to answer them, he can't keep them straight?
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
    Life member NRA, USPSA, ISRA
    Life member AF&AM 294

Boolit Buddy
    If I had a lathe, I'd be messing around and making these. I was able to find the punch sets for about $6, so I ordered a couple of sets. There isn't really much to these. There appears to be pleanty of interest!

I think I'm going to get some of the copper sheet stock from Menards and if needed, I'll anneal it to soften it.

For those in need of a tool, maybe someone on this site with a lathe can be talked into making some. I would post some photos if that is the case and someone would like an idea on how to proceed.

Boolit Master
    From what I have seen, and based on an experience many moons ago, I believe that I can make a lee cast sizer work.. some machining required!!! But for the O.D. .. heck if I don't wanna change what lee offers... I can just order up what I need. If it works, I will let y'all know! MV
    Duckdog, Where did ya find punches? Thanks
    Last edited by racepres; 03-22-2008 at 03:16 PM. Reason: ??

Boolit Buddy
    Just google in "12 pc hollow holw punch set" and you'll find some. There is a considerable price range. The .311 gas checks are made with a 3/8" punch.

I think they all must be made in the same place, as they all look the same, no matter where they come from.

I thought about using a Lee sizer, but figured I couldn't get the check down to the bullet's base diameter. Only the finished diameter. I would think a person could reduce the side of the punch that fits into the ram. That would give a guy the bullets base and the sizer would give the outside "finished" diameter. I think I see where your going.

Good luck!