RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
Lee Precision

Thread: Boolit lube

Boolit Buddy

Boolit lube

Question for someone. I read here that a alox is good to go. Why dose the Casting Manufacturers not use it instead of the wax type.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The commercial bullet casters use the Magma sizing and lubing machines which heat the lubricant and prefer the hard films because they make a "neater" bullet which is less sticky, all the better for flowing through bullet feeders in the Camdex, Star and Dillon loading machines, and the bullets withstand rough handling better in shipment.

My own experience has been that these hard lubes are less effective in wetting the bore and they don't flow well in light loads, and are more likely to cause leading in light cowboy loads, etc.

But they are a convenience for the large volume commercial loaders. I don't use them. I prefer 1 part of Dexron ATF to 4 parts of beeswax by liquid volume. Works in rifle loads to 2200 fps, is easy to make and works well for either dip or pan lubing or in the Lyman 450 and RCBS sizers. No heater required. You can increase the ATF if you like a softer lube, which some people do.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    I have been pan lubing all, rifle and pistol except my tl .45 in 5 to 1 beeswax and bull plate. Sized with lee push thru. So far i have not pushed past 1200fps. Am going to try the a alox on my pistol boolits, they have the grease lube. Eventually i will get lyman 45 but for now this works. I just did some 9mm the other day. Lubed let dry. Sized then lubed again. They seem to have a dull covering on all but i only see that orange in some of the lube grooves. Hope this is enough.

Boolit Grand Master

There are a few that supply their bullets tumble lubed, but not real popular. As Outpost said it's better, less messy, better looking to run the cast bullets through a big semi-automated lubersizer. During shipping and handling a hard lube stays in the bullet better, so most use a hard lube applied during sizing...

Tumble lubing is easier, less involved equipment wise and works in most applications and is therefore a good choice for new casters. Keeping the whole process simple, especially for a new caster is a major consideration/reason to tumble lube.
    My Anchor is holding fast!