Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Long Do you like it.

Boolit Master

How Long Do you like it.

Well in my Ruger single action and Colts i like a 4 and 5/8 barrel. My double action i like a 5 inch barrel. But the only problem they now a days they only come in 4 and 6 inch and longer barrels. My opinion a 4 inch is too short and 6 inch has a better feel but any thing over 6 inch feels weird too muzzle heavy. I have a few old Colts and S&W with 5 inch barrel too me they have the best balance not too long or short. My single action the 4 5/8 have a nice balance for doing spinning the gun like the Hardin butt forward trick. I have a few 8 lnch barrel the only reason i bought them because i got them cheap. They are safe queens.

Boolit Master

I also think more DA revolvers should have a 5" option I think it is just a good all around length. FB

Boolit Mold
    I like the 4.62 barrel the best. I can shoot it just as good as my 7.50 barreled Rugers.
    There's nothing more sexy than a 4.62 barreled Ruger Blackhawk.

Boolit Bub
    i guess it depends what you want it for. Longer barrel helps with velocity, hinders handling.

I have barrels from 1 7/8" snubby all the way up to 7.5". Love em all.

Aesthetically, yeah the 4 5/8" really looks the business on the BH.

where rocks are shot at & milk jugs, too...
    Depends, I love my 649 snubbie, loved both my BH in 4-5/8", now my New Vaquero in 4-5/8", and would really like to have a SRH at 5.5", that would pretty much cover it for me. I really miss the customized Model 27 nickel plated & shortened to 3-1/2" and even though it was that short I was able to shoot many a jack rabbit with it, wish I still had it, had promised to sell it back to the original owner if he changed his mind, and two years later he did..
    “Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."

Winston S. Churchill

I generally like my auto pistols to have barrels between 4.5-5" and revolvers from 2-4".. but I agree, the 4 5/8" or whatever Ruger and Colt SA's are about perfect for that platform.
    Sent from my computer using my fingers.

Boolit Master
    6 inches

Boolit Grand Master
    Depends.

For carry a shorter barrel is nice. For hunting or range use a longer barrel is nice.

I like a 4 5/8 BH for carry in the field. My SRH with a 7.5 inch barrel is great at the range.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Groo here
    This is interesting.
    Way back when guns had long barrels. [large frame or "fighting" guns]
    A short barrel was 4 3/4 or 5 inch and all was well.
    A cop gun was 5 or 6in ,
    Then we got cars and barrels got shorter to not poke holes in seat or cop.[ swivel holsters for longer and the "border patrol/FBI slant to fit between the seat and back]
    About this time the 357 came out and the magic 3 1/2 in barrel appeared [ although smiths had made short guns for years]
    IMHO the correct barrels for revolvers would be 3 to 3 3/4 inch for short guns and 4 3/4 to 5 1/2 for long ones. [ real long 7 1/2in]
    With 3in and 5 in as standards.
    If you look at Ballistics by the inch , a pattern will appear for most rounds.
    There is a big jump in speed at over 2 1/2in ,at over 41/2 in and at over 6 1/2 in.
    So unless you need the sighting plane of a 4/6in why pay for the weight / length of the extra inch?

Boolit Buddy

Great question. I use my handguns for three purposes, hunting, handgun silhouette, and concealed carry/personal protection. As a result there are only two lengths I like which are 7 1/2" and 5". Barrel lengths of 7 1/2" work great for me for both hunting and silhouette shooting. They're the longest I can carry comfortably while in the field and aren't too muzzle-heavy while shooting at game or steel targets. For daily carry I can't imagine carrying anything with a barrel longer than 5". I have a couple of S&W revolvers with 8 3/8" barrels and they're good for hunting but I pretty much have to carry them in shoulder rigs; they're just too darned long to hip carry. The S&W's work great at the silhouette range but I prefer to the 7 1/2" length for extended range sessions.

Boolit Master
    This is sort of why I like my Dan Wesson .357 Mag. When I first got it I had a 8 inch barrel with a heavy shroud. It was for shooting at the range and I even put a scope on that shroud, it was really fun. I thought I might want to use it as a self defense gun so I got a 4 inch barrel and a standard shroud and a holster. That seemed fine too. I now have a 6 inch barrel with a heavy shroud and a standard shroud for the 8" barrels. If I was carrying in the woods the 6 inch might be my choice. If I could only have one barrel it might be a 5 inch but who knows.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    A lot of old gun writer love the 5 inch for a carry gun. Most of my friend i ask have the same opinion 5 inch has a better balance then the 4-6 barrel. My ruger with the 4 5/8 stainless with real stag grip is my beauty girl best of balance compare to anything with a longer barrel. Gunfighter of the old west love the 4 5/8 barrel. I bet Colt was and Ruger best seller are the 4 5/8 barrel.

Boolit Master
    I like my 5.5" and 7.5" Blackhawk. It's just right for me. Now, if'n I was trying to do a fast extraction, the 4.62 would be the choice, probably even shorter.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Banned

Depends on caliber and use, carry is always different. I hunt with mine and even 10-1/2" is preferred over short even with a red dot. I don't carry, I hunt deer and shoot long ranges so even the huge 45-70 BFR can be shot off hand.
    First is to look at what you do and where the gun will be carried. I use shoulder holsters so it does not matter what size and the gun is in hand when on stand. You sure will not use a hip holster on a 10" 45-70 BFR!

My 29-5 is a 5". I really like the way it balances.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master

For all around carry, I like 4 inches for my Smiths, and 4 5/8 inches for Blackhawks and New Vaqueros.

When strictly hunting with a handgun 7 1/2"-8 3/8".
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Banned

BALANCE is a funny thing. After shooting the long barrels I can NOT shoot short as good. The lighter gun just will not hold still.

Boolit Buddy
    My advice is to buy several in each barrel length available. That way you'll be well informed to make your decision. That's what I do and it changes daily. Currently thinking I need more in the 5"-6" range.

Boolit Grand Master
    If I had my druthers, I'd have more 3 and 5 inch barreled revolvers than 4 and 6. The "odd" barrel lengths shoot as well as the even ones do, yet are more portable. My hunting guns are longer, 6 to 8 3/8", but for plain packing while brush busting a 5 incher carries easier. And a 3 inch barrel carries like a two inch but shoots like a 4.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

5" is best for me! The balance just feels right.