WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: List of available Mil Surps

List of available Mil Surps

Alright Guys, here is the list I talked about in my last post. I really need some help with what I need to know about these, what I should be willing to spend and some of them I just need to know what they are.

1. This gun says Remington Armory no. D. It has an eagle stamp on the receiver and barrell. It has a straight bolt handle, bayonet, ladder sight, and matching numbers on everything except the magazine. It is supposedly a .308 of some sort.

2. This gun is supposed to be chambered in 7x57. It has a stamping on it that says ANKARA with 1940 below it. Above that is AA then a hammer and a star then FA. There is a sliver of the moon below that in between the ANK ARA. There is a round hollow piece of metal in the buttstock and it has a straight bolt handle.

3. This gun is an Arisaka. It has the flower on it. It is supposed to be 7.7mm with a straight bolt handle, laddle sights, good rifling, but, rough bore.

4. This gun is a 7mm Mauser 1895 that has been sporterized. The bolt does not go back into the receiver. The safety does not turn and the guy that has it thinks it has some sort of a broken spring.

5. This gun is an Enfield No. 4 MkII. It has a pretty rough stock, is chambered in .303, and has a triangular mag.

6. The next gun is an Enfield that is supposedly chambered in .308. The barrel is completely coverd all the way to the end. It is not exposed at all. It has pretty good wood and a more squared off magazine.

7. The next gun is an 1895 Chilean Mauser. It has decent wood and good metal. It has no bluing left, but, there is no rust. Supposed to be a 7.62. Has no matching numbers. A5177 serial number. On the side it says:
    Mauser Chileno Modelo 1895
    Manafura Loewe Berlin

8. Next gun is another Chilean Mauser that has been sporterized. The bolt, barrel and receiver match, but, none of the other numbers match. It has a nice crisp cartouche. The side of the gun says:
    Maues Chileno Modelo 1895
    Deutsche Waffen-uno munitions fabriken
    Berlin

9. The next gun looks like a Mosin Nagant sort of. It is another one of the ANKARA guns except it is a 1935. Supposed to be a 7.62. It is a model #1948 and has a bayonet.

10. There is an Arisaka with no flower that has a folding wire bipod.

11. There is a M1944 that is chambered in 7.62x54.

That is about the long and short of it guys. I know the descriptions are not great and I don't have any pictures, but, any help you could offer would be appreciated!!

Super Moderator

.................Some of the descriptions are great. A couple are nebulous and don't make sense. My comments for each item.

1. This gun says Remington Armory no. D. It has an eagle stamp on the receiver and barrell. It has a straight bolt handle, bayonet, ladder sight, and matching numbers on everything except the magazine. It is supposedly a .308 of some sort.

Remington Armoury is an old term. A straight bolt is also old, ditton magazine (exposed?). The only thing I can think of is a Remington contract Mosin Nagant. Does it have a hex action? Very desirable if in good shooting condition. It would be in 7.62x54R Russian.

2. This gun is supposed to be chambered in 7x57. It has a stamping on it that says ANKARA with 1940 below it. Above that is AA then a hammer and a star then FA. There is a sliver of the moon below that in between the ANK ARA. There is a round hollow piece of metal in the buttstock and it has a straight bolt handle.

This is a Turkish rifle. It would be in 8x57 and NOT 7mm unless someone rebarreled it. You don't say if it's been sporterized or not. If it does not have K. Kale stamped below the ANKARA it is a German or Czech action and not a Turkish made action.

3. This gun is an Arisaka. It has the flower on it. It is supposed to be 7.7mm with a straight bolt handle, laddle sights, good rifling, but, rough bore.

The intact chrysanthemum is a good indication it's a Vet bring back. The Emperor of Japan asked that the 'Mum's be removed from captured rifles, after the war ended.

4. This gun is a 7mm Mauser 1895 that has been sporterized. The bolt does not go back into the receiver. The safety does not turn and the guy that has it thinks it has some sort of a broken spring.

The bolt must go back in (if it belongs to that rifle) possibly it just won't rotate down to lock up? Sounds like an issue with the bolt shroud and cocking piece.

5. This gun is an Enfield No. 4 MkII. It has a pretty rough stock, is chambered in .303, and has a triangular mag.

A triangular mag?

6. The next gun is an Enfield that is supposedly chambered in .308. The barrel is completely coverd all the way to the end. It is not exposed at all. It has pretty good wood and a more squared off magazine.

Indian made at Ishapore arsenal. Chambered to the NATO 7.62x51

7. The next gun is an 1895 Chilean Mauser. It has decent wood and good metal. It has no bluing left, but, there is no rust. Supposed to be a 7.62. Has no matching numbers. A5177 serial number. On the side it says:
    Mauser Chileno Modelo 1895
    Manafura Loewe Berlin

1st gen Chilean contract rifle (Loewe became DWM). May be converted to NATO 7.62x51. Some of these were re-bored, re-rifled and then had the chamber reamed out, sleeved and then chambered th the NATO cartridge. The new chamber sleeve was silver soldered or brazed in place. The seam ahead of the chamber can (or will be, or IS) eroded out by firing. A cheap stop gap, cheap means to upgrade the arm.

8. Next gun is another Chilean Mauser that has been sporterized. The bolt, barrel and receiver match, but, none of the other numbers match. It has a nice crisp cartouche. The side of the gun says:
    Maues Chileno Modelo 1895
    Deutsche Waffen-uno munitions fabriken
    Berlin

Later manufactured rifle then #7. Unless altered it's a 7x57.

9. The next gun looks like a Mosin Nagant sort of. It is another one of the ANKARA guns except it is a 1935. Supposed to be a 7.62. It is a model #1948 and has a bayonet.

This is a fully "Turked" M1888 Commission rifle that has been placed into a so called M38 Turk stock. The cartridge will be 8x57 unless dorked with. All these M1888 full conversions were dated 1935. If it has a clean barrel they're nice rifles.

10. There is an Arisaka with no flower that has a folding wire bipod.

Yup, that's what it is

11. There is a M1944 that is chambered in 7.62x54.

Can buy these locally on sale for $69.

I'm not going to be so dumb as to try and price such, sight unseen. Any sporterized military rifle is a $100 rilfe if it's shootable and without seeing it. Incomplete rifles, rifles that won't operate or with trashed barrels might be worth a lot for parts, worth something to a collector, or might be worth restoring. Without seeing them it's impossible to say.

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Thanks Buckshot. I don't have any way to get any pictures. On some of these rifles, I will try to get better descriptions. Like I said, I really don't know anything about these guns, so, I did not know what to look for.

Boolit Bub

308 to 7x57 MAUSER?

Is it possible to form 7x57 cases from 308 or 7.62 nato cases. I know the 308 case is significantly shorter than the 7x57 but has a bit larger diameter. Could the 308 be run in a 7x57 resizing die and then fired in the 7x57 chamber (powder and paper refill)? Anybody got an idea. I've never tried it but I'm curious.

I don't think it wold be worth the effort as the brass is readily available.

Quote Originally Posted by SHOOTER IN EXILE View Post
    Is it possible to form 7x57 cases from 308 or 7.62 nato cases. I know the 308 case is significantly shorter than the 7x57 but has a bit larger diameter. Could the 308 be run in a 7x57 resizing die and then fired in the 7x57 chamber (powder and paper refill)? Anybody got an idea. I've never tried it but I'm curious.
    Yes, it can be done, but the resulting case will be about 1/4" short. I make mine from .30-06, and I use military cases so there won't be a 7x57 with a .30-06 headstamp. Any of the long cases with .30-06 head size (.270, .280, .25-06, etc.) can be used also. The 7x57 brass is available commercially, but I do the conversion because I have lots of .30-06 brass, I don't mind the extra work for the few cases I need, and I'm chea...oops, I mean frugal.

Boolit Grand Master

Midway has Rem 7x57 brass for $44/100.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Bub

Question Corvette, Twidget, Mt Gun

Thanks a lot for your replies. I'm sure most of my posts and questions seem somewhat strange; that's because shooters in my country are in real exile, when keeping our guns active due to the scarce supplies of ammo, reloading components and tools. Those like myself who can't imagine life without our favorite sport, have going through a nightmare for about 5 years now due to increasing restrictions and paper work. To get a carry license for my S&W 625 in 45 ACP. I had to wait for about a year plus nearly US$ 2000 in taxes and "gifts". The above You may find boring. Sorry for that.
    Back to the subject of converting 308 cases to 7x57 mauser. I have nearly 200 rounds from Norma. I treasure them for serious shooting, so I have to reload. The 7x57 mauser was issue army weapon until 1946 when it was substituted for the 7.62 FAL (308) . To reload for plinking and small game I assemble my rounds from military salvaged brass, cast (125 grains) bullets from a mould I bought on a recent trip to Miami and 12 grains of 800X. The old brass mostly 1946 and earlier vintage must be worked to remove the built in anvil in the primer pocket, opening a flash hole in the center of the pocket and filing around the extraction groove to make the case fit in the case holder of the reloading press. Once the modest batch of these altered cases get tired of being reused and reused many times over, I would be left with two options: 1) Shooting my precious Norma factory loads, a sacrilege, given the circumstances and 2) Reform empty7.62 shells which are relatively easy to find. I use the 800X because I have a stored supply that would last for years. Unluckily I only have less than a pound of IMR 3031. I use a cotton filler over the 800x.

Two questions I have TWIDGET. Do the 308 cases have to be necked down before fireforming? And would the resulting 1/4" shorter cases present any significant shortcomings?

Boolit Bub

Twidget You're Right

Twidget, I took the time and went down to my basement-work shop. I formed one 7x57 from a 308. In fact the neck resulted 1/4" short. I put a light load (110 JSP) over 11 800X. It worked fine. No gas leaks or other hazards were observed. Accuracy was fair. I didn't put a crimp, since it was only firing a light single round. I am not sure if crimping such a short neck may put the bullet out of center, on the other hand with more powerful loads, I feel that a crimp is necessary so bullets in the magazine would stay in place. What do You think?

Boolit Grand Master

Shooter in Exile -
    Please accept my apology for not recognizing that not everyone can easily place
    an order with some of the big US suppliers and have it delivered (in my case from
    Midway) the next day.

Sounds like you are struggling mightily to enjoy our hobby which is out of favor in
    your country.

Hang in there.

If there is anything legal that I can do to help, please send me a PM. I can get some stuff
    here and package it up for shipment, whatever. I'm not sure if the issue is availability of
    money or transferring currency, or regulations on ownership, or just paperwork
    on getting shipments through your customs. One friend's primary problem in another
    country is theft from the official mails making mail order a real ordeal.

I am currently traveling in, and have been on this trip, in several countries much less free
    than yours on firearms, so I am very aware that our precious firearms freedoms in the US are not
    available to everyone.

Would it be legal for me to ship you some 7x57 brass? I have large quantities and if you wouldn't
    mind some once or twice fired Remington, I could give you at least 100 for nothing except the
    knowledge that you would get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

Bill
    Last edited by MtGun44; 03-20-2008 at 07:42 PM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Bub

Smile Bill

Thank You very much for your concern and generosity. I don't have a problem financing my hobby. I have an account and credit cards from an american bank. The real problem is the difficulty of legally importing the items our hobby requires. As most non shooters and anti-gun fanatics ignore, most of us, You and me included are law abiding citizens, no matter how unfair is a given Law. Most of my guns are sitting idle, collecting dust. Not to mention the nerve breaking stress we have to endure. Some books and publications I would like sometimes to order, so I gratefully accept your help. When the occasion or need comes I'll send You the information, the money transfer to the bank account of your choice and the address of a relative who lives in the U.S.A, where it would be easier for You to send the package. Please accept my praise of your kindness.
    Nageeb.