Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
WidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scope recommendations for a 45-70 Handi?

Boolit Master
    Mine got a new rubber pad and a 4X steel Burris I found for $60 made in the 80s. Also the weaver base is junk buy the one by H&R its much better.

I did this after running 450g cast at 1900fps on Weaver base and a now destroyed Simmons 3-9 scope. The butplate HURT, then the scope hit me in the face...with rings and base attached! New butpad and H&R base the 3-9 lasted about 60 more rounds and came apart.

I only run my 45-70 at about 1600fps now and the combo is a super fun rifle!

Boolit Master
    I mounted a pistol scope on a 20ga barrel I got for my Handirifle. I made the base out of 3/4×1/8 steel. There are no little lumps to keep the scope from sliding so I drilled and tapped holes in the base and drilled and countersunk holes in the bottom of the rings after I took the mounthng stuff off. The whole mess is hung on the barrel with hose clamps. If this does not get me recognized as a redneck bubba I will use duck tape.
    Closest recorded range Chrony kill (3 feet with witnesses)

Boolit Buddy

Recently put an OLD 4x Tasco scope on my 4570 HR, redfield rings. Shoots great. I got that scope used from a friend easily 35 yrs ago..have no Idea how long he had it.

I have an old Redfield Wideview with the TV screen optic shape, and it's in straight 6x. I think it's the straight 6x is probably the best choice all around for many older calibers with heavy bullets that usually stay under 2,000 fps. There are some great variables out there, but for fixed power a 6x is tough to beat all around.