Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load Data

Thread: 300 BLK OUT - OK to shoot lead through a suppressor - Experience

Boolit Mold

300 BLK OUT - OK to shoot lead through a suppressor - Experience

Sure as shootin' don't want to mess up my new (not even received yet) YHM suppressor!
    Who's (if anybody) is shooting cast through a suppressor and what are you shooting?

My Rig is as follows:

16" DPMS .300 ACC BLK 1-7 Chrome Lined

Yankee Hill Machine Titanium Phantom .30 ULT (30 Cal. Ultra Light Tactical)

Current boolit mold -
    LEE #90385 C312-155-2R 155 GR Hard Cast lead dropping at 164 GR getting powder coated and gas checked

Future boolit mold -
    220ish GR (Tell me what sub sonic your using) will most likely also get GC & PC

Boolit Mold
    Hope to hear from some more experienced sub guys, looking forward to checking back tomorrow!

Boolit Master
    I only shoot cast through my 300BLK now. 208gr AMAX's get expensive in just a little while.... I have the ACE 230gr blk mold that he did on a GB a while back. I really like the mold and the bullets from it. My set up is an AR with a 16" carbine gassed barrel. I put the upper together myself one piece at a time as I could afford it. I tumble in 45-45-10 and size to .309. I load over 1680 and an OAL of 2.22". I shoot these through a Liberty Mystic (the original, not the X). No problems at all and the bullet is pretty accurate. I have done less than an inch at 50 with it and typically get around 1.25-1.5 MOA with it. BTW, I only shoot subs in my 300blk so have no experience with supers. I did, however, cast a pile of MiHa's 311-410 bullets today to try. They won't get put through the suppressor though as they will have gas checks on them and I don't want to take the chance of one coming off and rattling around inside the can.....

Boolit Master
    Just shot some more NOE 247 boolit powder coated through my form 1 can today. I am a bit leary shooting gas checked boolits through it, but I have shot about 100 cast 125 grain hollow points, and nothing bad happened. You may want to powder coat after applying a gas check to "glue" in on. The NOE is plain based, but I just started experimenting using a gas check boolit without a gas check. Powder coat seems to be helpful in this regard.
    I dont know what mount you are using but check your can regularly to make sure it is not unscrewing. I noticed with a standard 5/8x24 mount as soon as the can warms up it want to unthread. No quicker way to ruin a can than let it unscrew, and shoot a boolit through it.

Boolit Master
    lol I thought I just replied to this but it was in the coating section. I would not shoot GC through mine.........why gascheck for the 220? The point is subsonic. Coated with hytech I have had no problems. I did opt for a take apart for this very reason but no buildup in mine or a buddies.
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Boolit Master
    My can is user servicable. When I shoot conventional grease lubricated lead through it I take it apart and clean it after every 100-150 rounds. That's shooting subsonic.

There are usually substantial sized chunks of lead that fall out of the tube when I drive out the core, so based on my experience I wouldn't shoot bare lead thru a can unless it is servicable. I don't know how powder coat would behave, but I hope to be trying it soon.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Buddy
    I have found that traditional lubed cast bullets left a lot of lead fouling in not only the silencer, but also the bolt carrier internals. What a mess to clean up. No leading in the bore though.

However, powder coated (I wet tumble them in Harbor Freight white) lead bullets don't leave any lead residue in any part of the silencer or rifle. So that's all I shoot now.

It's worth mentioning that I don't know if the uneven coating of the wet tumble method would create any stability problems that would cause a baffle strike in a silencer with a tight bore. The silencer I use is a 9mm can that I built myself on Form 1. It's got a .412" bore. It works very well, but the bullet would have to be wayyyy out of whack to come close to striking any baffles. Then again, if using a can with a .30 cal bore, you can always coat them with an electrostatic gun which would leave them very uniform (and stable as long as your bullets are free of voids and abnormalities).