RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC the New 300 AAC Blackout Lee Mold

PC the New 300 AAC Blackout Lee Mold

Anyone pc'd the new Lee Mold for the 300 AAC Blackout boolits? I just ordered the mold and I am thinking that PC'ing them is the way to go. Maybe have to run them thru resize after PC. What's the word?

Vendor Sponsor

If you are talking about the Lee 230 with the Semi boattail... yes many people here have PC'ed and shot this bullet ...me included ..
    it shoots good but not great .. tried multiple loads and about 6 different powders... ended up averaging about 1.5" at 50 yds .. No leading at all getting to 1150 FPS or down to 800 FPS using 50/50/ and 2 % HSB
    Did much better in my 308 than in the 300 Blackout
    Now the NOE 247 HP mold is killer in my blackout and 308
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    If you are talking about the Lee 230 with the Semi boattail... yes many people here have PC'ed and shot this bullet ...me included ..
    it shoots good but not great .. tried multiple loads and about 6 different powders... ended up averaging about 1.5" at 50 yds .. No leading at all getting to 1150 FPS or down to 800 FPS using 50/50/ and 2 % HSB
    Did much better in my 308 than in the 300 Blackout
    Now the NOE 247 HP mold is killer in my blackout and 308
    Smoke, have you tried the NOE 247 with a gas check shank just coated without a gas check? I have a combo mold 50/50 and don't think it is a good idea to put a gas check through my can. Just curious if there was a difference in accuracy if it was not added, and just coated.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Xacex Noe offers a 247 in a plain base also. Some of his molds are 4 cav two of each style. I picked on two cav molds one of each tried both and they shoot great in my 300 BO. Only problem I have is swelling the nose if I size base first or if I put to much PC on. Since I figured out what was going on I size nose first. Thinking about just PC the bearing section of the bullet and see how that works but to many other things going on right now.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Master
    Sorry much better molds out there. Driving band is too small and boat tail? I owned one, then I saw the light. Good luck.
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	127437The Lee 230 grain PC coated slug has shot well for me..

Boolit Buddy

Views:	69 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	127438I like the NOE 247 grain PB better... It's a 5 cavity..

Boolit Buddy

Views:	68 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	127439A tray of the NOE 247 grain slugs in OD.. All are subsonic..using IMR 4227 out of a 16 inch barrel w/ a pistol length gas tube.. My objective is to hit 6-12 inch steel targets at @ 150 yards... It accomplishes this easily, cycles 100% of the time and I get bolt hold openon last round..

Vendor Sponsor

My 247 is a Plain base so I can not speak on this Mold .. I can tell you most of my molds are GC design and I DO NOT use gas checks and they shoot very well

kweidner is correct on the Lee Driving bands for most 300 barrels .They are too small and cause seating/crimp issues with some loads .. When I switched to the NOE Molds things got much better

PS I have pushed the NOE 247 all the way to 1400 FPS with no leading and great accuracy
    Last edited by Smoke4320; 01-14-2015 at 06:13 PM.

Boolit Master
    I own the NOE, and have had Tom make me 2 that I designed in 215 and one in 250 gr just for coating. I just ordered a set of my 215 design for my bullet master. It is MOA accurate to 150. The hand mold prototype is on it's way to Erik for HP and then once proven I will order another set from Tom for bullet master and then off to Erik to hollow point them. Got to sell a bunch of solids first though. Hollowpointing and making extension plates for 8 molds is a bit costly. I also swage 2 different projectiles specifically for the BO. I guess I am BO crazy these days. It is a really intruguing round to me. Particularly when the lead Hytek coated seated over a fast pistol powder is fired suppressed. One of the spookiest, quietest, most accurate rounds I have ever ran through my 7.62 can.
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Boolit Buddy

Just starting out with this mold, curious as to what coal you are loading to with the Lee 230 ?

Boolit Master
    Love the lee 230 gr w powder coating!!! I'd buy a 6 cavity from lee if they ever made one. I'd spend good money in that mold too. I get 1/4 inch groups at 50 yards w it using h4198

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
    Just starting out with this mold, curious as to what coal you are loading to with the Lee 230 ?
    Your barrel/chamber will determine that.. Load a resized case with a bullet lightly seated in the case . Close action..carefully remove case and measure .. This will be where the bullet hits the rifling .. On mine I have to back out .010 to get reliable bolt closure

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by odfairfaxsub View Post
    Love the lee 230 gr w powder coating!!! I'd buy a 6 cavity from lee if they ever made one. I'd spend good money in that mold too. I get 1/4 inch groups at 50 yards w it using h4198
    Mind giving some specs? I have just started playing with this for 3006 and while your data may not transfer directly, technique details would.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Vendor Sponsor

jcren
    If you are looking to shoot this subsonic with the 30-06 its real simple
    Trail Boss Powder.
    Find where the base of the bullet to be loaded is located in the case and make a mark on the outside of the case at
    this location.
    Then fill the case to that mark with Trail Boss, pour into the scale pan and weigh. This is your
    maximum load. Pressures will be below the maximum allowed for this cartridge and perfectly safe to use!
    Take 70% of this powder charge weight (multiply the maximum load from step 1 by .7), and that is your starting
    load.
    Start with this beginning load and work up to your maximum charge, all the while searching for the most accurate
    reduced load. Once found, the fun begins!
    Last edited by Smoke4320; 01-15-2015 at 06:54 PM.

Boolit Buddy

Your barrel/chamber will determine that.. Load a resized case with a bullet lightly seated in the case . Close action..carefully remove case and measure .. This will be where the bullet hits the rifling .. On mine I have to back out .010 to get reliable bolt closure
    Smoke, I'm loading these for an autoloader, an AR. I can test the distance to rifling, but I need to take a bunch off to ensure they will run in the mags. Max COAL for a 300 is 2.260, I have yet to load a heavy load for subsonic at that length. When I load 220grSMK's, I load to 2.180".

Just wondering if any have some experience loading this boolit for an AR action..

Vendor Sponsor

All mine are in a ar action
    I can send you some lengths I use tomorrow
    But basically like you I make them fit the barrel then setback for mag if needed

Boolit Master

Thanks for the input Smoke, I have played with trailboss but right now I am searching for a load that will 100 yd zero with my j-word 200 yd poa. Btw, thanks for all your pioneer work with powder coat, I have a working solution to the biggest (in my opinion) inconvience of powder coating. I will hit you up for some "cred" when I work out the details and get pics.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Buddy

All mine are in a ar action
    I can send you some lengths I use tomorrow
    But basically like you I make them fit the barrel then setback for mag if needed
    Thanks, I'd appreciate that and I will play with it a bit.

This is what I loaded up this morning at 2.180, similar to what I load the 220smk for. I haven't found much load data on this yet, but I have done a lot of work with subsonic jwords in the 300, so I will tap on that data and experience and see how we make out. Hope to have these shot in a few days if it stays half warm.. lol

Boolit Buddy

Newb, still learning, those were my first cast... ever.. lol

Looking forward to casting for the 300, cos those fancy cooper covered ones are just to dang pricy for me to digest for plinking and target practice.

Got some powder ordered from Smoke today so the nexn's will be a bit purtier..