Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Repackbox
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What one hand gun would you buy for Alaska?

Boolit Master
    I'm a huge fan of the 480, but that said the Toklat is far and away the most versatile hand gun you can buy, and I'd add two gunsmith tweaks, and action job to smooth out the trigger pull and a full moon clip conversion. With the moonclip you have much faster reloads and can quickly go from a cylinder full of full patch fodder to small game loads. I also believe you can run 45 acp which makes the platform even more flexible.

All ready have them, Smith 57, .41 Mag with 250 grain LBT cast bullet or my 29-2, .44 with 250 grain Accurate bullet. The .41 will out penetrate the .44.

Boolit Master
    IF it's too big, it will stay in camp. IF it costs too much to shoot, you don't do very well with it to boot. I found out the hard way that anything bigger than a Model 29 with a 5 inch barrel (or a 5.5 inch Vaquero/Blackhawk) tended to stay in the safe while walking through the woods at home. Carrying for a day can be very educational.
    Those heavy weights got horse power, but HEAVY WEIGHT means you might get tempted to leave it in camp...and run out of luck the same day.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeMineA10mm View Post
    First of all: DO NOT consider a 10mm for wilderness protection. (Look at my user name, and I'm telling you to get at least a 44.) The 10mm, in my opinion, is the ideal personal defense caliber for use against humans, and it will do double-duty as a lower-48 deer and hog cartridge pretty well, but it is NOT a bear cartridge. In addition to the caliber inappropriateness, I would prefer to have a revolver in the wilderness.

Next: I believe the truth about self-defense in the wilderness in Alaska (and a few other areas) is that Moose are more dangerous than Bears. If you are smart and prepare yourself, you can avoid most encounters with bear and moose, but the moose tend to be more in areas where interaction with humans happen, so statistically, you'll run across them more often. And, Moose are just crazy mean. Worse than bears. So, I'd think hard about stopping Moose at least as much as I would worry about bears...

Last, I love Elmer Keith and there's no question he had a LOT of experience with wildlife of all kinds, including bears, but there have also been changes that have happened since he last wrote in 1981. Still, some of his experience is illustrative and helpful, so I'd go to: http://www.elmerkeithshoot.org/GA/ , scroll towards the bottom, and read the series of EK's articles about Black and Griz.
    10mm, I totally agree. When we first moved up here not a single soul warned us about bears. Many folks did however warn us to be cautious around moose. Especially a momma with her calves. A moose is not scared of you in the least and will stomp you into a greasy spot in a minute. I have learned to "read" them since moving here though. If you have ever been around horses you know when they get ticked they lay their ears back on their head. A moose does the same thing and will also bristle up the hair on the neck. You will see many more moose than bears while out and about except in certain instances when the bears congregate at some rivers when the salmon are running.

I would also say that there are more moose caused injuries than bear induced injuries each year.

Not my pic, one I snagged off the web of McNeil River Falls when the salmon are running just for illustration.

where rocks are shot at & milk jugs, too...
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    After several decades of carrying different .44 Magnums for bear defense in the Northwest Territories of Canada, and using them WITH CAST BULLETS on bison and moose, I say this:

With normal-weight cast bullets (my 429244s were 265 grains) the .44 penetrates COMPLETELY THROUGH (that's IN this side and OUT the far side) of animals even over 1000 pounds. I've seen it, and I've done it repeatedly.

If cast bullets are in the equation, what possible need is there for a heavier bullet that recoils harder, and will only exit to punch a hole in the air just like my 265s did? The penetration to go through-and through on a BISON is surely ample for any bear in creation, and YES, the bullets broke bone in some of the animals before exiting.

If soft-points are the chosen bullet, then maybe bigger/heavier might make sense, because expansion (and maybe some weight loss) will reduce penetration.

For me, though, a .44 with "normal" cast bullets is an amazingly effective device, and I was confident in its ability even in griz and polar-bear country.
    Good to know! I had been looking at the possibility of a 44 mag SRH as a back up for bear hunting or where bear present & handgun is legal (not Canada, of course). Still trying to decide on barrel length knowing shorter is preferred for a close encounter but longer better for hunting. I have seen several used lately with longer barrels, considered checking cost of shortening to 5.5" as a possibility.
    “Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."

Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Buddy
    I don't think ill have the chance to go ,but I would feel pretty good with my BFR 500 JRH. Using a light load its about 1000 fps with a 440 gr bullet. Upping it to a med load its about 1200 fps both loads shoot ragged holes at 35 yards. Both loads are easy to control and the 5 1/2 barrel in a cross draw would be fairly easy to carry. I do shoot a lot of big game rocks and cans its a fun gun tks KEN

Vendor Sponsor

I have three guns and I would consider any of them adequate. S&W696 .44 Special, Ruger BH Bisley .44 Special, and Ruger SBH Bisley .44 Magnum. all loaded with either 429421 or 429244's at 900-1100 fps. These will go clean thru just about anything and leave a 7/16" hole behind.

If I was going light it would be the S&W 696 as it carries so nice and still packs a punch. I probably would bypass the BH Bisley and move right to the SBH Bisley simply because there is only a 2 oz difference in the guns.

I shoot the SBH best as it has the best sights.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master
    Probably take my S&W 44 mag, but might be tempted to take my Desert Eagle 44 Mag. Reload quickly and empty a mag pretty quickly too. The shotgun with slugs would be tempting instead. How about OOO buckshot?

Quote Originally Posted by ballistim View Post
    Good to know! I had been looking at the possibility of a 44 mag SRH as a back up for bear hunting or where bear present & handgun is legal (not Canada, of course). Still trying to decide on barrel length knowing shorter is preferred for a close encounter but longer better for hunting. I have seen several used lately with longer barrels, considered checking cost of shortening to 5.5" as a possibility.
    We can apply for and get "Wilderness Permits" if your employment or work requires you to be in bear country. I have one frequently - they issue them for periods of a year and now the Chief Firearms Officer insists on revolver only.

While a friend of mine who I certify, carries a 5" 460 Smith I prefer either a 4.75" Uberti SAA in 45Colt or a 4 5/8" Ruger Flattop in 45 Colt loaded with cast 260 gr LSWC over 8.5 gr of Unique. I prefer the Uberti due to it's weight. If the 45Colt won't do the job at a range of 10 yards maximum then I am done anyway. We have Grizzlies and Black bears up here. Blacks are worse but both are pretty shy. The handgun only backs up my Mossberg loaded with slugs.

For large Grizzlies I think even the largest buckshot is just going to make the bear mad. A good load radio works as well or a talkative, preferably slower runner than you as a friend, helps as well.

Take care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Vendor Sponsor

Ruger Alaskan in .480 caliber.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Something between the 44 maggie & the 475 that you can shoot well, accuracy is #1, missing the target is way down the list. Good, heavy cast slugs will work great & do not have to be driven at top speeds to get the job done. The heaviest bullets that your gun will shoot well is going to be just fine. One of the most famous gov. trappers of all time insisted on using single actions because you could quickly dump out 2-3 empties without dumping the loaded ones also, stuff a couple loaded ones back in & resume the fight & he did it for years. With a double action if you dump the cylinder the loaded ones come out along with the empties, how much fun would that be if things were a bit western! Again, maximum velocity isn't necessary but heavy, hard slugs are, that & accuracy will take care of you. Soft bullets will get you in big trouble! One last thing, a 340 gr. cast slug at 1100 fps is NOT going to bounce off the head of any bear, trust me!

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by robertbank View Post
    We can apply for and get "Wilderness Permits" if your employment or work requires you to be in bear country. I have one frequently - they issue them for periods of a year and now the Chief Firearms Officer insists on revolver only.

While a friend of mine who I certify, carries a 5" 460 Smith I prefer either a 4.75" Uberti SAA in 45Colt or a 4 5/8" Ruger Flattop in 45 Colt loaded with cast 260 gr LSWC over 8.5 gr of Unique. I prefer the Uberti due to it's weight. If the 45Colt won't do the job at a range of 10 yards maximum then I am done anyway. We have Grizzlies and Black bears up here. Blacks are worse but both are pretty shy. The handgun only backs up my Mossberg loaded with slugs.

For large Grizzlies I think even the largest buckshot is just going to make the bear mad. A good load radio works as well or a talkative, preferably slower runner than you as a friend, helps as well.

Take care

Bob
    Thanks for sharing your experiences here, very helpful to someone like myself who has only been in situations where a large black bear or an angry moose would have been a possibility. I hope to hunt elk someday in areas where a grizzly might be encountered and a slower companion might not be available
    “Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."

Winston S. Churchill

Making lots of noise as you travel through heavy brush certainly avoids surprising a bear. When my son and I go fishing we talk load always to and from the vehicle. Never had a problem and don't need one either he is faster than I am.

Take Care

Bob
    ps Read BruceB's post it is very insightful.
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Banned
    If you're with someone else my choice would be a Berretta Tomcat in .32ACP. Shoot your associate in the leg and while the bear is mauling him you should be able to get away or at least get to a long gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    If you're with someone else my choice would be a Berretta Tomcat in .32ACP. Shoot your associate in the leg and while the bear is mauling him you should be able to get away or at least get to a long gun.
    I saw something like that in a movie recently!

Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Master
    Probably the same gun(s) I carried while in Idaho and Montana for two months this year...4" S&W .41 Magnum.

Loaded with the original Remington 210 SPs that take a direct hit on a bone to expand at all or one of the hard cast loads from Federal, CorBon or Buffalo Bore will penetrate as well as anything else.

As to a Single Action or a Double Action the last thing I want to do if there is bodily contact between me and the bear is trying to cock a hammer to save my life. I have also seen semis jam during knock-down-drag-out fights between LEOs and badguys...

Bob

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM52 View Post
    Probably the same gun(s) I carried while in Idaho and Montana for two months this year...4" S&W .41 Magnum............................................ .................................................. .................................................. ..................
    As to a Single Action or a Double Action the last thing I want to do if there is bodily contact between me and the bear is trying to cock a hammer to save my life. I have also seen semis jam during knock-down-drag-out fights between LEOs and badguys...

Bob
    When something is getting ready to chew on me, a double action revolver is the only answer...besides a quick exit! KISS principle,

Boolit Master

A couple years back a young lad got a job with the interior dept (I think that was the employer) in Alaska and he wanted to "borrow" an "Alaskan Handgun" for a couple months. Looked at the 500 Linebaugh Max, 500 Smith, 475 Linebaugh, 45/44 Redhawks but below is what he choose and several people up there in God's Country offered him a boat load of cash for that little gem.

Converted S&W 25-2 in 45 Colt with lanyard - carried 300 grain cast at 1,100fps. He saw several black bear up close and in/around camp but no problems and the only browns encountered were at a distance and never paid any attention to him. All shots fired by him and others in God's Country hit paper, cans & bottles at 10 to 40 yards. That little gem will be going to a grandson in the future.

Attachment 127355

Boolit Master
    I bought a 7.5" 480 ruger super redhawk back in 09. I had it with me up in WA state while working and for a black bear hunt. The one thing I found when out hiking around was the gun was just to long to carry comfortably. Maybe a chest rig would have been a better way to go. I had complete faith in that gun when it came to stopping a two or four legged threat regardless of size.
    I stopped carrying it while hiking due to weight and size and carried my 10mm with double tap 200gr wfn cast bullets at 1275fps from my gun. They did some great penetration on wet news print when I tested them. Again I felt fine with it.
    If I were to be working up in the wilderness of Alaska I think I would carry either a 4" redhawk or a Mt gun in 45 colt. It is my favorite cartridge and is more than capable.

My good friend who used to be a fishing guide on a few rivers up there started out with a blackhawk in 44 mag and then moved to a scandium framed 44 mag. He also had an 870 loaded with slugs that was on the drift boat. He had one time in the 4 years guiding that he had a bear come close enough that required him to fire a warning shot in front of the bear. His client had saw the bear and lost his cool and started running back to the boat.

Boolit Master
    I went to Nome in 94 and took my Freedom Arms 454 Casull . If I were going today it would be be my BFR in 500 S&W