MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyWidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load Data

Thread: Powder Baffles

Boolit Buddy

Powder Baffles

Always used the standard RCBS baffle or no Baffle Now I see RCBS has a Quick change baffle (whatever that means) and I see a Prairie Dog (6-104) Perfect Powder Baffle That looks interesting enough anyone here at CB ever use one of these or is it another flash in the pan to waste $$$ on I make hard plastic ones from an old post I found here a few years back and they work pretty good but the double baffle design of the Prairie Dog looks like it might filter the Powder thru a little more evenly Plus it can be adjusted for more or less flow
    anyone with some insight on these for me ?
    Thanks DOGG!!!
    WARNING
    TRESPASSERS
    WILL BE SHOT
    SURVIVORS
    WILL BE SHOT AGAIN
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

In Remembrance

Years back I bought the RCBS powder baffle. A friend of mine back then spotted mine and asked could I make a similar baffle for him from a soda can. I made him a baffle and since then, nearly 30 years, have made and sold at least 20 or more.Robert

Moderator Emeritus

I made a few out of light guage sheet metal and just double stack them a little apart from each other. Never thought of using a soda can; probably easier.

Boolit Grand Master

I have made them from plastic pop bottles. Lay them out and cut with scissors a punch can cut the powder grooves. Find the inside dia of the hopper. Set a set of dividers to scribe this dia and scribe one side move over .250-.300 and scribe second side. With a scribe and straight edge connect the radiouses and cut out with sharp scissors. Use an appropriate hole punch to cut the pass thrus in the radiosed ends. Flod in hald and install. Spring fiction will hold it in place. I made a set of flat baffles oval and set at angle with flat edge that set at an angle accross hopper second one at 90* to it worked good but was a pain to set-up.

Need photo(s)? But does a powder baffle really make that much difference? Just wondering, 'cos I'm new to reloading cartridges.

Boolit Master
    Here's a link for a pattern to make your own baffles. http://www.ray-vin.com/tech/hack/baffle.pdf

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dikman View Post
    Need photo(s)? But does a powder baffle really make that much difference? Just wondering, 'cos I'm new to reloading cartridges.
    Good question. I got my kit back in 1985 (RCBS) the Uniflow came with both drums then. I have always used the smaller drum when possible. I never had any problems and never used a baffle.

After reading several threads on the baffle subject I caved in and bought one. They really are inexpencive and as others stated not hard to home fab.

I look at it as a "what the heck can't hurt" kind of thing. So now when I use my Uniflow I see it in there and think "yeah looks good" lol.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks for the replies fellas but what I was wanting to know was if anyone has any Prairie Dog baffles and if thy do any better than what I already use
    I have made a bunch of them outta plastic (I like the soda can idea) and have OEM baffles I was just wondering if the double disk the Prairie Dog uses is any better
    Thanks Guys DOGG!!!
    WARNING
    TRESPASSERS
    WILL BE SHOT
    SURVIVORS
    WILL BE SHOT AGAIN
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]