Snyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Arizona, NM must sees

Boolit Buddy
    The Great State,El Paso Tx. in the winter months, Michigan in the Summer Fishing for Salmon .
    Alamogordo N.M. has a nice Space and Science Museum. There's also an I-Max theater next to it. Along the trip you might see a sign that says ( The Thing ! ) fair warning !!! Have a wonderful trip..

je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master

Once you see the London Bridge it's just a bridge. If you're in this area a day or two I'd take you east of here for a jeep ride through the desert. It's the higher north end of the Sonoran Desert and is a lot different than the Mohave type desert around here. A lot different with the mountains and canyons than you'll see along the way and down around Tucson. Could even get some shooting in.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master

We have been to Karchner 3 times. It is a living cave and completely different experience that any other we have been in. You enter thru air locks and are misted with water to prevent the loss of lint, hair,etc in the cave.
    There is also Grand Canyon Caverns south of the Grand Canyon. It is a private enterprise and was used as a bomb shelter during the cold war.

Boolit Master

Don't forget White Sands Nat. Mon. right outside of Alamogordo. Its kind of fun to go to White Sands when its about 70 degrees then head up towards Ruidoso and play in the snow.

Banned

This is a must for my next trip to Arizona
    http://www.thetrain.com/

jmortimer , you might look into this one as well

http://verdecanyonrr.com/

heck if you come thru Scottsdale I'd even recommend
    http://therailroadpark.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iln6n7F9qz8

they just opened the model railroad exhibit building and it turned out great.
    and they have a small gauge to haul yourself around the park - they do
    a great christmas ride at night during the season.
    Last edited by Artful; 01-05-2015 at 02:09 PM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Buddy
    The drive from Flagstaff down to Sedona, up over the Mingus Mountains via Jerome, and in to Prescott is one of the best in the country. The Redrocks of Sedona are something else(just don't get sucked into a Vortex) and Jerome is a cool old mining town with lots of odd, singular characters in it.

You can spend a good bit of time around Prescott's downtown or at some of the museums in the area.

Banned

@Artful
    Thanks, This is now on my list. Most anything involving a train I like.

Boolit Buddy
    Then there's a little gun show in Vegas called "The SHOT Show" from the 20th thru the 23rd...

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    IF you feel up to it take a trip from Bumblebee up to Crown King for some great scenery.

HEHE it was a single lane road when I drove it years ago.

The general store in Crown King had a 2 X 12 plank outside to leave your firearms in.

I asked the young lady what happened if someone came in still carrying?

She smiled and came up with a double bbl shotgun and said "I MAKE BELIEVERS OF THEM."

Absolutely beautiful views of valleys full of Arizonas world famous BIG cactus.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

where rocks are shot at & milk jugs, too...
    I used to go to the Payson area any chance I had, would have moved there but no jobs. Visited Zane Grey's cabin before it burned down. Oldest son was just a tyke when I lived there but his favorite past time was checking out petroglyphs & ruins. He also liked shooting cast boolits out of my Blackhawk with light loads using Trap 100 at the Rio Salado Sportsman Club, sure did love my years in AZ. & 4th of July in Prescott is something I'd like to do again if I ever get the chance
    “Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."

Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Master

200 miles south of the center of the United States
    If you are going to be in Alamogordo, the Trinity Site (first atomic bomb test) is about 75 miles from there. It's only open 1 day a year (April 5), but you can drive by it on the highway. Take 54 north from Alamogordo to Carrizozo, then 380 West to San Antonio. You will pass north of the Trinity Site on 380. This route will tie you back into I 25 at San Antonio. The north/south part of this route also parallels the Jornada del Muerto (The dead man's route) followed by one of Corodado's Captains in 1541. There are some interesting lava fields by Carrizozo at the Valley of Fires state park. There is also the NRA Whittington Center range in Raton. 200-900 yard ranges plus a visitor center (even though the deal was no gun shops or fabric stores).

Since you about have to pass through Colorado to get to Wyoming from New Mexico, I'd suggest a couple places on I 25 in Southern Colorado. Trinidad Junior College (just across the NM line in Colorado) has a gunsmith school started by P.O. Ackley. North of Trinidad is Walsenburg- Stop in at George's Drive In on the north end of town for a green chile burger.
    Last edited by edler7; 01-05-2015 at 03:45 PM.

In Remembrance
    Bill you don't see a lot of mention of Crown King, but it is one of my favorite places in Az, or at least used to be. 20 some odd years ago, I got paid some very good money to run that 29 miles, I hear there are more trucks that goes up there now, and the pay is not near as much, so they have probably improved the road. I used to take the blazer up there and hang out on weekends too, it was nice to get away from the heat.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    There were lots of creeks you could find BLACK SAND in.

Probably had been dumped back at least 100 times or so but it still was fun.

At that time the road to Prescott was washed out with at least a 6' ditch cutting across the road but still a lot of car horn beeping at each curve to warn others you were coming.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Quote Originally Posted by jmortimer View Post
    This is a must for my next trip to Arizona
    http://www.thetrain.com/
    My wife and I rode the train from Williams to the south rim a few years ago and liked it very much. The only way we could get a room anywhere near the south rim was to book a package that included a round trip train ride and one night at the railway owned hotel in Williams.

Boolit Bub

In Yuma

The Yuma Territorial Prison. Inmates think they got it bad now, wait till you see that place!

If its still there, a restaurant by the name of "Beef, Beans and Beer". Have a "Sloppy Walt" for me please!(Two pieces of Texas Toast with a thin Sirloin steak on top, smothered in beans)

Chester's Chuck Wagon was the place for breakfast, 20 some odd years ago anyways.

Have fun and be safe!

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    The next time you are in Sedona take a drive up Schnebly Hill Road (dirt road), something most tourists miss unless they take a Pink Jeep Ride.

And here is a map of the major Vortexes or Vortices, including the one on Schnebly Hill Road, so you can avoid them. Different lists include various vortexes so Google Sedona AZ Vortex for more information.
    http://www.wildsedona.com/area/vortex.htm
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Boolit Bub
    Please make hotel reservations WAY ahead of time!!!!!! Most rooms are booked months in advance due to the oil boom going on!!!! I can recommend the KOA on hwy 'twixt Carlsbad and Artesia! If you travel from Carlsbad to Pecos Texas, you will drive thru Orla, Tx which is indisputably the armpit of West Texas and is square in the middle of nowhere!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gmsharps View Post
    If convienient at exit 268 is Mr. T's truckstop and they have the best deep dish apple pie around

gmsharps
    They also have the best cherry pie in town!
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)