Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Hornady Electronic Scales

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory

Hornady Electronic Scales

Anyone use these?
    Good points?
    Bad points?
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

Banned

I've had one for years, works great.

Boolit Mold
    Opened my brand new one the other day...would not calibrate...kept getting error. Had to send it to hornady...customer service was great...new one on the way. Hopefully it will work.

I've got one, works ok - not as sensitive as balance beam and sometimes acts up depending upon environmental factors like lights.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Banned
    I've got the cheap $30 one. It works pretty good. Much faster and less temperamental than my old RCBS beam scale. Accuracy is good enough for everything except super duper precise loads.

Boolit Buddy
    I just got the hornady benchtop scale a few weeks ago so far I really like it I like the lighted screen and the larger numbers . I bought it to replace an rcbs 750 digital scale that was temper mental as hell it was about 6 yrs old and refused to hold zero .

I've been using mine for a few years that I bought at Cabelas and it does great.

Boolit Master
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/438...grain-capacity

this is the one I have. I LOVE it. It does everything I need it too, and I haven't had a problem with it yet. Currently on clearance at Midway to boot!!!
    “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”― Ralph Waldo Emerson

Banned

Don't have that, but do have this and like it very much. $28. 100% more accurate than anything in it's price range.

BallistiScale-1500 digital scaleNow with a larger powder panBPI ballistic technicians designed the BallistiScale-1500 with the reloader in mind. Besides being packed with all the necessary features, our scale is America's best value for a high quality compact digital scale. Our laboratory technicians know that a reliable digital scale is an absolute necessity for accurate reloading; no competent reloader should be without one. We wouldn't put our name on a scale and back it with a 10-year warranty unless we believed in it. No other scale has more features and no scale can compete against this value.Why a digital scale?
    Once you've used a digital scale, you'll wonder what you ever did without it. No fumbling with beams, no lost heartbeats while waiting for a beam scale to settle. Big LCD backlit readout for those of us with "experienced" eyes. When technology offers a better tool, take advantage of it. Your loads and your sport deserve it.

Features:

• Capacity: 1543 grains (over 3-1/2 ounces)
    • Accuracy: 0.1 grain
    • Stainless steel platform
    • Large, easy-to-read LCD backlight display
    • Self-contained, hinged cover
    • Includes large powder pan & calibration weight
    • Runs on two AA batteries (included)
    • Weighs in four different modes: grain, gram, oz & ct
    • Auto off: 3 minutes
    • Pocket-sized: Convenient & portable

Boolit Buddy
    I picked up the Hornady pocket scale when they were on sale at Cabelas. Best $25.00 I've spent in a while. I checked it against my RCBS beam scale, there's not much difference in accuracy they both have a resolution of 1/10th of a grain and agree with each other on how much the test weight weighs.

Setting my powder measure is so much faster now. Less putz around time setting up = more reloading time.

Banned

The Hornady is +/- .2 grains

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by jmortimer View Post
    The Hornady is +/- .2 grains
    +1. A possible variation of ~.4 gr can be a lot for fast powders like Titegroup.
    Also, a set of check weights is indispensable for monitoring a scale's accuracy.

I have one and it has worked for me just fine the past two years, looked at beam scales of all price ranges but liked the cost and ease of use with the Hornady.

Boolit Grand Master

I have used rcbs electronic scales ( early chargemaster), dillon ( 1500 grn model early production again), A Hornady digital pocket scales, An RCBS 5-10 beam scales ( what I originally started with), An amt beam type auto dispenser, and the last few years a gem pro 500. THe rcbs set was good and was accurate when tied into the powder dispenser, trying to hand trickle to it wasnt as easy. It was an early model with the led connection between scales and dispenser. The dillion was accurate and fairly quick but again trickling was iffy. The Hornady varied some from use to use. didnt like trikling powder at all and just wasnt what I expected although it was only around 30.00. The RCBS beam scales was purchased in the 70s when I started reloading and has been accurate and reliable over the years. Trickling into it is easy it reads as it goes. The amt was slow (Imagine trickling a full 41.7 grn powder charge. Was faster if you duumped a short charge into pan and started then. The Gem pro was more money than the hornady about the same as the dillon and leass than the amt or rcbs set ups. It is very accurate geads in 5or 7 diffrent units. Grams, grains, ounces, troy ounces, and several others. In grams it reads to .02 grains. Is sensitive and can be trickled into with practice and also a compact unit. There are several diffrent digital units available from $30.00 or so on up into the thousands of dollars for a full blown ladratory grade model.