WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load DataInline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: ar-7

Boolit Buddy

ar-7

Got one for the wife as a christmas present yesterday.What are your experiences with it? ammo finicky? or other problems, this one is made by Henry.
    ]Why does anyone need an assault rifle? My first need is articulated in the US v Miller 1939 decision: every citizen eligible for volunteer or conscript military service, every member of the unorganized militia, should be familiar with his nation's military service rifle, and the service rifles of potential allies and foes as well, to support and defend the Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic.

Boolit Buddy
    I have one by Henry that resides in my truck box. I have had some feeding problems with one magazine but not the other. Occasionally it spits out a couple of rounds with one trigger pull. I had an honest to goodness Armalite AR-7 one tine. Wish I still had it.

Boolit Grand Master
    No idea about the Henry's, but I had a Charter Arms (I think) in the late 1980's. I never tried to float test it.

Mine was a bit finicky, but I always thought it was more due to poor magazines than ammo.

Mine also wasn't very accurate. Four inch or so groups at twenty five yards runs through my mind. I do know both the Colt Woodsman and New Frontier .22's I had at the same time were more accurate.

Robert

In Remembrance
    One of the small handfull of guns I have ever traded off. I thought I just had to have one (charter arms) for a boat gun. The gun was real finicky feeding, but I probably could have fixed that. The problem I had and the reason it went down the road was that I wanted to use it at night for rabbits, coon, etc and the sights were just not up to the task for night use. This would probably not be a concern for your use. Mine was not overly accurate either, but I hadn't expected it to be.

My experience has been the same as others - it can be finicky on ammo and feeding. Some brands work better than others, some don't feed well at all. I'd suggest finding whatever works and only using that brand/style of ammo for the rifle. Accuracy is just about what I'd expect for a factory gun that is made to break down and store in the buttstock, i.e. not great but fine for plinking and small game at closer ranges. All in all, it is a fun gun once you find ammo that it likes.

Boolit Master

Have a Charter Arms production model. Had quite a surprise with it, jammed up after 10 rounds or so, went to clean it and barely see down the barrel! Turned out they hadn't rifled the barrel! Worked a lot better once rifled! Tim

Boolit Master

When I was a teen I had an Armalite, used to be hell on the muskrats in cherry creek in Denver. For a few dollars I could shoot for weeks down on the farm at any prairie dog that would peek its head out, some farmers would even buy us more ammo as long as we promised to use it in dog town.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

I have an Armalite - for what it was designed for it's ok
    - but when reaching for a semi-auto 22LR I go to Ruger 10/22's.
    The Armalite isn't real accurate, of course factory sights are rudimentary at best.
    - it's picky on ammo, but when you find some that work it's OK
    - when you take the side plate off have a plastic cover or towel over it as springs jump out
    - only take 3 hands to put back together.
    It does float and is weather resistant to a degree.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

In Remembrance

Had a Charter Arms model of the AR-7, was never impressed with it. A buddy of mine that looked at `Nam thru a sniper scope for 2 tours always wanted this rifle. So last Christmas I just gave him the rifle and 1300 rounds of .22 ammo. He either must love that rifle or hate me cause I haven`t heard from him since?Robert

I also had a Charter Arms. A trip back to the factory did nothing to improve it's jamomatic tendencies. Nice concept, poor execution.

Bought a stainless Marlin Papoose and couldn't be happier with it.

Perma-Banned

Same here, I had a charter arms accuracy was horrible.

I have an Armalite. It runs the factory mag that came with it just fine not any pickyer than any other 22 semi out there. Mine likes cci blazers. Accuracy is ok. I machined a scope mount to screw onto the side. It worked ok still have the 2nd mount I made for my nephews henry. Only thing is you can't store it in the stock with the mount on. No mod to the gun just uses the large screw on the left side of reciever to mount.

Boolit Master
    My Charter arms liked copper plate/wash ammo . sights are crude but useable if you learn or adjust them to hit .

Boolit Buddy
    Well, shot about a box through it the other day. Good functioning with thunderbolts and can accuracy at 25yds, I liked it!
    ]Why does anyone need an assault rifle? My first need is articulated in the US v Miller 1939 decision: every citizen eligible for volunteer or conscript military service, every member of the unorganized militia, should be familiar with his nation's military service rifle, and the service rifles of potential allies and foes as well, to support and defend the Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic.

I have owned an Armalite for 30+ years and it shoots great with anything you feed it and also shoots with the Magazines that Henry furnishes. It has made many boat and canoe floats and we used to leave in in the pontoon boat for extended periods of time. It is just fun to plink with.

I have owned several Charter models of this over the years and none were much to write home about. Always traded or sold them to strangers, never family or friends.

Then enter Henry Arms! I bought one for a grandson because he loved my old Armalite and it is a keeper, even with cheap aftermarket magazines. Got me a camo version in a multi gun trade and use it on the water not rather than the more valuable (to me) original Armalite. Been thinking about fabricating a clamp on scope mount that maybe clamps around the barrel with set screws and cantilevers the scope back over the receiver. So many projects, such limited time!

I still lust for the Springfield survival in 22 Hornet. I have owned and shot Hornets for 55 years and just would like to play with one. They are uglier than homemade soap, but still causes a tingle. Men and their toys can not be explained according to the boss lady.
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does,he needs it very badly!" Sir Winston Churchill