Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: What is the best 357 Double action revolver? Opinions?

Boolit Master

California - in the land of taxes and no representation.
    Ok, I owned and got rid of a Dan Wesson (regret), and still own a COP, Desert Eagle, Ruger (security six), Smith (model 19) and Colt (Python) and enjoy shooting them all (except the COP). I know the COP and DE don't fit the OP requirements. My favorite is the Smith. I would like to try a Korth, just to see if the price is worth it.

Anyone ever shoot a Korth?

Thank you all for the responses and advice. It appears that the Ruger GP100 and the Smith & Wesson 686/586 revolvers are the most popular followed by the Smith 27 and the Dan Wesson 15-2. I will look around a bit at the local gun shops and see what I can find.

Banned
    That's a good plan tazman. My parting advice would be to at least consider a 4" model out of those excellent choices.
    Good Luck!

Boolit Master

California - in the land of taxes and no representation.
    I'll second that opinion of the 4 inch. I had a six inch Colt Trooper, and that barrel was just uncomfortable to carry anywhere....

Boolit Master
    I wish you were a touch closer, I have a pile of S&W's you could try out. Truth be told, if it feels good in your hand, I doubt you will notice much difference between any of the recommendations given here.

Boolit Master
    Go to a range and try them. I have a Python next to the bed and an SP101 that I carry.

They Python is particular about the load. It likes max load 125 and 140gn bullets. Others not so much. .38special it does not like at all. I got the Ruger because I wanted a good ss snubbie. Had other Rugers in the past and liked the way they shoot. Caution, if you find a Python with the stock grips, shoot it with gloves on. The sharp checkering will tear up your hands.

I did like a sw mod19 that a friend had and it was a nice gun, I just did not like it more than the Python.

Would I pay the price for a Python? No. I think a Ruger, other Colts, or Smiths are as good. It just depends on what fits you.

Boolit Master

all of my DA revolvers have been S&W except my first handgun a H&R 999

Banned
    I had a thread one time where I asked about the best 44 magnum dies and I got scolded good so I guess it depends on who you are as to if you can get away with it. Reading this thread kinda makes me laugh as I know it will end up with a dozen or so brands being named as the best. When the wife was looking for a 357 we went to a number of gun shows and delt with different dealers. The Ruger dealers pushed the Ruger products and the GP100 if they had one. Neither my wife or I was impressed with the trigger pull on the Ruger. Sure it is probably a strong gun. Quality.... iffy in my opinion but then again isn't this thread all about opinion anyway?

So, what do you look for in a quality pistol? I look for a great trigger. Nice and crisp and light. The S&W 686 was the one that topped the list and caught both my wifes eye and mine. The 686 in my opinion it probably tops on my list. Sure, you can find something that will work for you. The wife misses the model 14 or 15 I believe Dan Wesson probably because it was out first hand gun. Stung my hands with hot loads and the trigger wasn't impressive either.

There are a lot of good 357's out there so to me its simple. Just pick the one you like.
    Last edited by 6bg6ga; 12-30-2014 at 07:58 AM.

Boolit Master

Just for me, I have always been a S&W man when it comes to double action revolvers. Not saying they are better than any of the others, they are just better for me. When I pick up any S&W revolver it is "familiar" to me.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master
    Hi...

I have a bunch of .357Mag revolvers in both SA and Da configuration and have shot a few that I do not personally own.

The best .357Mag revolver I have ever shot is my own M686 Silhouette Model S&W with an 8-3/8" barrel. Scary accurate with a variety of loads...the adjustable sights front and rear make it extremely versatile and the long sight radius helps with longer shots.

I have thousands and thousands of rounds through this gun both cast and jacketed over the last 30 years or so. Everything from light 125gr plinking loads to 200gr silhouette style loads at the upper end velocity and pressure-wise. Never a problem and the sight adjustments are easy and repeatable.

Won some matches with this revolver back in the day and though I no longer shoot competitively, I am sure that if I entered a match with this revolver I would at least be competitive even against shooters with younger eyes.

GP-100 is my go to gun for IDPA SSR Division. I have a 686 No Dash that is it's back-up. Both are 4" guns. Both balance well. The Ruger is one once lighter. Both have great triggers and there is not a lot to give away on each of them. The Rugers often need a little TLC before they come into their own. Mine needed the cylinders reamed to .358 and the forccing cone cleaned up and reamed to 11 degrees for lead.

For the price difference the G p-100 is just a better buy and you can argue if you want which gun is better.

Take Care

Bob
    Last edited by robertbank; 12-30-2014 at 12:33 AM.
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Buddy

I haven't read every reply in this thread, but I have read most of them. One thing I haven't seen anyone discuss is field stripping and repair of their revolvers...and field stripping is a phrase you rarely hear in conjunction with revolvers. I like the GP-100 AND Smith & Wessons (and own both in .357), but when it comes to ruggedness, field stripping and repair, the GP-100 is head and shoulders above the rest. Check out some YouTube videos on taking down a GP-100. Most revolver guys don't consider field stripping or repairing their handgun, whereas most (serious) semi-automatic guys do as a matter of course.

If I were ever limited to only one handgun to use as a survival/do-everything weapon in an uncertain world, it would be my GP-100. Interestingly, I say this as a die-hard 1911 guy who readily admits that the 1911 is not as versatile as a quality .357 revolver! For adequate survival, hunting, defense, etc., it's hard to beat a .357 and for that application, it's hard to beat a GP-100!

If I knew that I had to go into a gun fight with a handgun, I would choose one of my 1911s, but if I happened into a defensive situation with my GP-100 I wouldn't feel the least bit under-gunned. Of course that's entirely hypothetical, 'cuz if I knew I was going into a fight I'd use a long gun!

Best regards
    Doc

Boolit Man
    Ill give another vote for the Dan Wesson pistol pac like BullWolf's pic. I currently have dan wessons in 44 and 445 supermag, and always kinda wanted the 357 pistol pack, with the vent heavy configuration.

although i will mention i was able to get a 3 shot group of 1 1/4 @ 100 yards out of a friends 357 ruger with reddot optic using 38 special loads. I had to pay attention which chambers to use of the cylinder as they were not all the same, but i noticed 3 were very consistant.
    i think it was a gp-100 but i do know it was about 6" barrel

Boolit Man
    In the 1980s I went to gunsmithing school and was lucky enough
    to have a revolver class by the great Ron Powers. I have owned
    shot and worked on most of what has been listed on this thread.

Right now I have nineteen 357s and have shot many of them at ranges
    that if I told you you would call bs, have lived where I could shoot farther
    than 1000yds out my back door, still can part of the time, I stay on a
    ranch part time and could shoot past one mile if I want too.

My two favorite 357s are the 6'' GP-100 and the 6.5'' BH 357/9mm convertible.

Both will shoot a 187gr. fngc LBT at 1500+fps and shoot six inch six shot groups
    at 200yds.

The most accurate I have owned was a stainless Dan with a 686 Smith next. The Dan has the very enviable option of interchangeable barrel lengths. I also like the lockup, short hammer fall and trigger on the Dan.
    If money is not, as you've indicated, a factor, I'd say a ss Dan Wesson pistol pac with the extra barrels. They are a snap to change, by the way.

I like my 357s. I bought the 8 3/8ths right.($300)

My wife likes the 686 with Lee 125 rnfp with 4 grains of Bullseye in a special case. It has one of the Jarvis underlugs on it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0406.JPG   DSCF0174.jpg  
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Boolit Man
    Ruger security six is my alltime favorite.