Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: That's a heavy bullet.

In Remembrance

That's a heavy bullet.

Can't sleep so watching TV. Guy on Bucks of Tecomate is shooting a muzzle loader with a sabot bullet that he said weighed 300 grams. That would be almost 4,630 grains. He of course is confusing grains and grams. These "experts" can be really entertaining when you are laid up for weeks and have read everything in the house twice. It is hard on the TV when they cause you to throw things at it.

I know the feeling. I watched a guy last night constantly referring to a "45-70 Magnum". I've never heard of that - maybe it does exist - but I'm pretty sure Marlin doesn't make a lever action version.
    All government without the consent of the governed is the very definition of slavery - Jonathan Swift
    You have enemies? Good, it means you've done something with your life - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by DLCTEX View Post
    Can't sleep so watching TV. Guy on Bucks of Tecomate is shooting a muzzle loader with a sabot bullet that he said weighed 300 grams. That would be almost 4,630 grains. He of course is confusing grains and grams. These "experts" can be really entertaining when you are laid up for weeks and have read everything in the house twice. It is hard on the TV when they cause you to throw things at it.
    Now you tell me, I saw the same show and I already ordered the 300 gram sabot mould from Accurate! I better run the stability numbers on the JBM calculator to make sure a 4,630 grain bullet will be stable at 1,000 yards.

BB

Boolit Man
    The heaviest bullet I remember hearing of was in a CO2 gun(so I guess it was a pellet), it was 7oz and used in a big bore air gun match. That was when their was a race to see who could get 1000ft-lbs from an air gun.

What caliber was the gun? If you figure it was a 50 cal sabot to a 45 cal bullet the bullet would have to be 21 times longer then the average 45 acp round.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Man
    I found the article it was the 2000 Damascus big bore match. The pellet was 1.12" in diameter and 1-3/4" long and weighed about 3,123 grains at 395fps made 1082ft-lbs. Smooth bore so didn't win the match because a certain amount of accuracy was needed

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by histed View Post
    I know the feeling. I watched a guy last night constantly referring to a "45-70 Magnum". I've never heard of that - maybe it does exist - but I'm pretty sure Marlin doesn't make a lever action version.
    Wild west reworks marlins to what they call 457 magnum, not exactly sure what it is, but you can still shoot 45/70 ammo in them.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by histed View Post
    was that on Alaska state troopers?

What rate of twist would one use with a 300 gram 50 caliber bullet?

Banned

1-----------

Boolit Grand Master

Here awhile back on the history channels wildwest tech the gaveWild Bill Hitchcock's 36 cal colt navy a muzzle velocity 620 miles per hour. Theres alot of mis information out there and people who dont always realize what is what. But its fun to catch it.

620 mph should be around 930 fps, just a little high for a navy, which lists at 840fps. Mebbie he was using hot loads, or light ammo for trick shooting. Wild Bill's biography was the first book I read in 1st grade way back when!
    Free to live, Free to die, Free to till the earth, And see the sky!