Load DataRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dillon Square Deal Reloader......Where does it fit in???

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Alvarez Kelly View Post
    You might want to pull the trigger before 1 January. Dillon prices go up effective 1 January. I bet Brian has a banner on his website reminding people of the price increase.

Happy loading!
    Just bought it!
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty Red View Post
    Just bought it!
    Congratulations. You are now officially part of the blue team.

Boolit Master

I know! But just with a Small Blue Johnson!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty Red View Post
    I know! But just with a Small Blue Johnson!
    Blue is blue. Notice what color my alias is? I chose my sponsorship level based on what color my alias would be!!

You won't regret it. Good choice.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Good deal! I mentioned the LCT as it sounded like money was a factor? I don't even own one but it's a good loader and people love em!

As Brian knows my favorite Dillon is the RL-300! Hard to find but better than ANY other Dillon I've run!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Buddy

When was the 300's made? My first Dillon was an early 550B conversion. I still have the newspaper size add and never saw a 300 listed.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Spruce View Post
    When was the 300's made? My first Dillon was an early 550B conversion. I still have the newspaper size add and never saw a 300 listed.
    Hi,
    From Mike Dillon.....Right from the source:

"Our first hobby-level progressive loader – The RL-300 – was a major learning experience. We built maybe 900 or 1000 of them, and lost about $100 on each one. This led to the RL-450, a less expensive machine to produce, and one that got the attention of the “big guys” in the reloading industry. By 1984, both Hornady and RCBS either had introduced or were preparing to introduce their own progressive reloaders, and they were much stronger than us in the distributor market. I wasn’t going to fight their fight. All good fighter pilots know that you don’t fight the other guy’s fight. Instead, I went into direct marketing. This was a go-for-broke thing. I spent every dollar I could raise on advertising. We had to sell 500 machines that month to pay for all the advertising we had purchased – we sold 5000."

That might be a collector's item.
    #4 dillon

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Banned

That was most interesting. Thanks

Boolit Buddy

Thanks Seagiant. I see from that I made a mistake. My first Dillon was a RL450 and when I recieved it had the B conversion. I traded it for some guns, and I think I lost on that trade. I liked the RL450B. 199.95 in 7-17-84. The 300 looks like a slick press.

Boolit Grand Master

That is just when I bought my RL450, 1984. Never looked back, eventually it
    was upgraded to almost 550 setup, just not easily changeable calibers.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

I have 2 SQD presses and love them. One set for large primer and one for small primer. I have loaded several 10ks of rounds on them and they just work great.

Boolit Mold
    I also gave a square deal b and use it mostly for glock fired 9mm. You will love it. I greatly prefer it to the 550 for loading pistol. I really like the auto indexing.

Vendor Sponsor

I have two SDB's one for .40S&W and one for .45 ACP. I was original y going to by a different tool head for the .40S&W press but Brian made me such a good deal on a complete press I just did that.

Now I have two and a good friend gave me a 550B with a bunch of tooling so conceivably I could dump the SDB's and load everything on the 550B. This however, would not be as much fun as using many different presses to do different things.

the little SDB's are some of the best designed machines I have ever seen. If you did wear one out they can be rebuilt for about $10! but it won't even cost you that as Dillon will do it for you for free.

Great outfit to be associated with.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    I have a SD set up for 9mm and really like it. A couple of issues: It loads so many at one setting that I don't get to use it very often. Also, gotta watch for powder sloshing on the corner before you put the bullet in. I use Unique so the case is pretty full. You will be quite pleased.
    Loren

Boolit Master

Ok, I have the SD set up on my Inline Fabracation's Mirco Mount. Also went with Dan's dual bins bracket, for empty cases and bullets, and the roller handle. Nice!

I did have a couple issues with the primer feeder. I figured it out and even though I had 11 unprimed rounds out of 300 of the first batch, I got it adjusted and figured its just one of those that need to have the primer tube filled. No compliants, all machines need to be adjusted at first. But I have to say that this press is pretty much ready to go out of the box!

After loading over 700 rounds in the past two days. Yep, that is right! 700 rounds! I think the first 300 took about 2 hours, due to primer feeder. Today, the next 400 fed smooth! And I took my time and got everything loaded in about 1.5 hours. Now I am not looking to load allot really fast. I want good ammo at a faster rate than I am loading now. This press is doing it.

The ammo loaded is great looking stuff. The dies didn't move, the powder measure was constant, and it wasn't as jerky as the youtube videos showed it.

Now, I do wish I could see if there is a primer ready to go in station two. I don't like not being able to look into station three and seeing if the powder is correct. That is about it. Oh, and the handle is placed on the press' center line. WTH? This causes me to side saddle to the left. But I am able to still add brass and bullets with no problems.

Its kind of cramp, but for me, its the nature of the 9mm. Small bullets and brass. Gives me fits even on the Classic Turret Press. If using a larger bullet and brass, I don't see a problem.

So I like it! at $375, do I think it is worth it? Yes I do.

Jerry

Vendor Sponsor

Lefty: mount the press on the right side of your bench. That way you won't run into the wall while side stepping it. also look for some kind of a light you can aim at the left side of the machine. It helps to be able to see what you're doing.

These are great little machines, and the more you use it the more you will appreciate the feel of it and how it functions.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

Well, I shot about 100 rounds at the range today, loaded from the SD. No FTF or FTE.

Looking good. I really like the Inline Fabrication Ultramounts. Sturdy and available in the size you want. I have the size between the micro and full size with the quick change plates so I can switch presses depending on what I want to do. Inline will also make you a custom heighth mount if you ask. Might cost a little extra.

Boolit Man
    Glad you like the sqare deal I now have 4 of them. I leave mine set up in .45, 9mm, 44mag, 38specal.
    Bill