Load DataInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Snyders Jerky
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: The crazy, crazy BFR .500 JRH.

Boolit Master

um, is it possible to shorted a collet once it's done?

Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    um, is it possible to shorted a collet once it's done?
    um.....yep. Shorten the collet sleeve and the die body. I asked Andy at Lee to confirm. His reply was, "What's a 500JRH? Yea, that'll work."

Boolit Master

well doesn't get any better than that. in my head as I imagine the FCD function, shortening the collet sleeve would radically change the way it crimps. Guess not.

Banned

44man, what shoulder holster works?
    I use Uncle Mikes no. 13. I bought it for the BFR 45-70, 10" barrel. It is long but my 10" SBH and the 7-1/2" guns fit too.
    Here is my JRH with the Ultra Dot in it. Attachment 98103

Boolit Master

I have that exact holster. How do you carry it under the shoulder? it's more of a bandolier carry

Oh. I see. They have many size 13's, and they hve a vertical shoulder AND a bandolier, and they look almost, but not quite, the same. got it.

This is the one I have.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/uncle-mi...FTBk7AodhxkA7Q

Not quite the same.
    Last edited by Whiterabbit; 02-28-2014 at 01:26 PM.

Banned

I like the flap on yours. I want a higher holster, climb too many ladder stands and it is better.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pal82 View Post
    I just got off the phone with Lee. Ordered a 500s&w collet style factory crimp die (SKU # 80338) $25 + 6 shipping. I'll have to shorten it in the lathe, but it should work. Anybody tried this yet? Maybe a good crimp will make up for my short barrle when it comes to slower powders.
    I bought a Redding crimp die for the S&W 500 and my smith shortened it by 1/4 inch and it works perfectly for my 500 JRH.
    Moving back to Alaska

Boolit Bub
    Hey guys, First post on this board, figured it might as well be here. I'm new to the 500JRH. I'm just starting to reload for it, looking for some more load data, if it exists. I've got some 440gr Leadhead gas checked WFN for most of my shooting, especially warmer loads. I also ordered some 400gr plain base, RFN bullets from Missouri Bullet Co for plinking loads. Interestingly, the 400gr bullets actually go about .015 Deeper into the case than the 440gr bullets! I've got Trail Boss for the lighter loads and H110 for the full power loads. I was wondering if anybody has worked with Unique or 2400 for mid-range loads? Especially for the 400gr bullet that seats deep in the case. I'll probably save the 440gr bullets for H110.

Since everybody loves pics, here's a pic of the gun the day I got it. Group fired at 20 yards off-hand. Shooting Buffalo Bore 440gr at 950fps, light loads. First four rounds down the tube by me shown. Really looking forward to doing a lot more shooting with this lil guy!

Thanks for any advice! Good to see the wealth of knowledge that is on this forum!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20131229_234238_zpsb76be17d.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	99484

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Seancass View Post
    Hey guys, First post on this board, figured it might as well be here. I'm new to the 500JRH. I'm just starting to reload for it, looking for some more load data, if it exists. I've got some 440gr Leadhead gas checked WFN for most of my shooting, especially warmer loads. I also ordered some 400gr plain base, RFN bullets from Missouri Bullet Co for plinking loads. Interestingly, the 400gr bullets actually go about .015 Deeper into the case than the 440gr bullets! I've got Trail Boss for the lighter loads and H110 for the full power loads. I was wondering if anybody has worked with Unique or 2400 for mid-range loads? Especially for the 400gr bullet that seats deep in the case. I'll probably save the 440gr bullets for H110.

Since everybody loves pics, here's a pic of the gun the day I got it. Group fired at 20 yards off-hand. Shooting Buffalo Bore 440gr at 950fps, light loads. First four rounds down the tube by me shown. Really looking forward to doing a lot more shooting with this lil guy!

Thanks for any advice! Good to see the wealth of knowledge that is on this forum!

Name:	IMG_20131229_234238_zpsb76be17d.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	99484
    Good shooting. The JRH might be the best of the best in the .500's. It rates with the .475 and .44.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks, 44man. I'm glad it was my first really big bore. I'd probably still be looking for Linebaugh brass! I only have 80 pieces of brass for now, and a bag of Starline S&W brass to work over sometime. I'm certainly not a good shot, but this gun has a lot of potential and I'm REALLY enjoying it so far!

I've enjoyed reading this thread, a couple times. Thanks for all your contributions. Some of us idiots won't get smarter if the experience people don't share the knowledge occasionally!

Boolit Bub
    Well, looks like I killed this thread, so I might as well give it a little bump. Everybody loves pics, and I can only assume video is even better! Sorry if it's low quality.

This was taken last weekend, out screwing around with a couple buddies. And oh yeah, I missed. But overall I shot pretty well that day!
    http://youtu.be/6Q_8Xqz2Svk

Boolit Bub
    Here's me getting used to the recoil. That alone took a while.

http://youtu.be/OKWeDIXGesE

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Whitworth View Post
    The first dummy for this cartridge was turned in a lathe back in 1998 (if memory serves me correctly -- it often doesn't). The .500 Smith can be used, but to get the dimensions right, you need to turn the rim down a bit, and cut the case to a nominal 1.4-inches. It is a .501 diameter. So yes, it fits in a "normally sized" revolver.

The .50 Alaskan is a different case altogether!
    Whitworth,

You mentioned cutting the rim down a bit to get the dimensions right? I assume its the rim diameter?

V/R

Jeff
    USN 86-92
    USAR 96-2013 Retired.
    CW3 USAR - 919A "Maintenance is our Passion"

Banned

For the BFR, the S&W rim does not need cut. Perfect fit.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Powersgt View Post
    Whitworth,

You mentioned cutting the rim down a bit to get the dimensions right? I assume its the rim diameter?

V/R

Jeff
    500JRH rims measure .545in diameter. 500S&W rims are .555in. The sloppy chambers of the BFR allow S&W brass to fit. ( I'm kidding!) Apparently JRH thought that the gun needed the 0.005in more than the brass did, so many custom guns require JRH spec brass.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Seancass View Post
    500JRH rims measure .545in diameter. 500S&W rims are .555in. The sloppy chambers of the BFR allow S&W brass to fit. ( I'm kidding!) Apparently JRH thought that the gun needed the 0.005in more than the brass did, so many custom guns require JRH spec brass.

The FA-83 requires the smaller JRH rim size the Ruger customs and the BFR can utilize the S&W rim size.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jwp475 View Post
    The FA-83 requires the smaller JRH rim size the Ruger customs and the BFR can utilize the S&W rim size.
    This is true. Rim has nothing to do with the chamber. Most custom makers understand you might not find JRH brass and will need to cut brass.

Boolit Buddy

I just got my custom BFR from MR, went to load up five rounds and some of the brass catches when you spin the cylinder. I don't know if the cases are not uniform or if the counter bores are not deep enough. I need to call the custom shop tomorrow and see if I need to send it back in.

Name:	BFR 500 JRH.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	125554
    USN 86-92
    USAR 96-2013 Retired.
    CW3 USAR - 919A "Maintenance is our Passion"

Boolit Master
    Find the cases that rub and measure the rim thickness, they maybe a bit thick.

Boolit Bub
    Had the same case rubbing problem with my FA JRH. It was such a light drag, I cured it by twisting the offending case on some fine sandpaper. Probably couldn't measure a difference without some fine tools, but it was just enough. Also helps to keep it clean, but that shouldn't be an issue with your brand new gun.