RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: siamese mauser

Boolit Buddy

siamese mauser

i have had a siamese mauser chambered for 45\70 for many years but it came without the mag follower. i have not been able to find one. does anyone know of something else that will work??-phil

Boolit Grand Master

Have you checked with Gun Parts"?

Larry Gibson

Boolit Buddy
    yes i have, i check now and then over a period of years and havent caught them with any yet.-phil

Boolit Master

Have you tried a magazine follower from any other model of Mauser rifle? I don't have a Siamese but on all my Mausers the mag followers are pretty much the same. Probably interchangeable. If your Siamese uses a flat spring a mag follower from another model may well work unless there is some great difference in the mag well of the Siamese.

Heck I used a Mauser mag follower in a Schmidt Rubin 1911 until I got the right one. Worked great. I got it from Tennessee Gun Parts for about $3 IIRC. He has a $10 minimum but that includes shipping.
    Chuck

Boolit Buddy
    i have tryed the ones i have, and some will fit and some wont, but the ones that fit wont work. i think its because the rail is too far to the right plus they seem to climb forward and upward wile feeding jamming the round solid against the side of the reciever. the siamese mag box is slanted for the rimmed rounds and maybe the follower needs somthing to keep it from working front to back?????-phil

Boolit Bub
    I have a Siamese Mauser in my shop that is in original condition.I'll check the follower against others I have to see if there is anything similar.

Boolit Buddy
    thanks Rayo, could you take a look at the spring also. i was told by a smith that its different also.-phil

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

You might try a P-14 mag follower.
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

Boolit Buddy
    i would like to report the problem is solved. RayO sent me some pic's and i made one, and it works!--phil

I broke the mag spring on mine and since it's slanted a regular Mauser wouldn't work. I pulled a British 303 detachable magazine ( forget the flavor) apart and cut that one down.
    She's good to go now!

Boolit Buddy
    thats good to know because i have no idea if the spring i have is rite or not. its been to long ago when i started this rifle.

Boolit Bub

Love My Mauser, Hate The Sights.

I have a 98 belgian mauser carbine in 7x57 cal. Some nut "sporterized" it, hacking the stock and filing the barrel's first ramp to give it a uniform profile. Patiently I worked on the military stock and the barrel copying features from sporting rifles so it has a somewhat acceptable sporting appearance. The action is apparently in perfect smooth condition and the headspace and chamber dimensions seem correct, something I suppose because a less than a perfect round makes it a bit difficult or impossible to close the action. The barrel rifling was dark but after polishing with a lead slug and fine valve polishing compound it looks fine and after a few cast bullets fired, I found no trace of leading.
    The sights are terrible, when lined no space is left to see the exact point of aim.

Questions: a) Does the filing of the barrel step, make the gun unsafe to fire, considering that it was confined only to that area, no more than an inch.?
    b) Is the apparent tightness of the action an indication that headspace is correct? c) Having almost no collector value, do You think I could substitute the military sights by fixed sights, for hunting in jungle and bush area with range going from 50 to 150 meters? The original rear sight can be modified and I can make the front sight myself.
    Thanks in advance.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chevyiron420 View Post
    i would like to report the problem is solved. RayO sent me some pic's and i made one, and it works!--phil
    I also have a Siamese in 45-70. I need to rework my follower because it is ramped and closes on an empty chamber.

Would it be easier to replace with a different Mauser follower or just try to weld this one back to original?

Thanks
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Moderator Emeritus

Dad tapered his Mauser bbl with a disc sander then shot factory 8mm loads with it for years. The only consequences were dead game. Gianni
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master

As a mechanical engineer, I can say difinitively that if you removed
    the step you LOWERED the stress at that point in the barrel as the
    step is a stress concentrator. Barrels are WAY over strong, so do
    not worry about it. Think about the dovetails and screw holes for
    sights that are cut into barrels at factories . . . . . . .

You may need oversized boolits if you polished very much on the bore,
    but that is one of the cool things about casting your own!

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Mold

Additional help with Siamese follower

chevyiron420 and RayO,

Any chance you'd share which follower you used, the proceedure and perhaps pictures. I have a Siamese Type 45 which is missing the follower, spring and floorplate. I would love to make it functional again. Many thanks, Big Bore

Boolit Bub
    Big Bore,
    I will send you the pics. you seek if you give me an e-mail address.

Boolit Master
    I have a Siamese mauser for 45-70. Got the action from Spring Sporters. I believe they were in Penn Run , PA. They had mag followers for 45-70.
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.