Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders JerkyWideners
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: marlin 30-30 or 44 mag. for deer and hogs?

marlin 30-30 or 44 mag. for deer and hogs?

howdy.
    I haven't hunted deer with a 30-30 for over 30 years and i just have a hankern to do so again. But I just got invited to hunt hogs on a large farm. So what you guys think? 30-30 or 44 mag. thanks

A got loaded 44 would be great.

Boolit Master

Plenty of variables but I'd say hit the mark with the right Boolit at under 100 yds. and piggy won't know the difference.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudenboomer View Post
    Plenty of variables but I'd say hit the mark with the right Boolit at under 100 yds. and piggy won't know the difference.
    I concur. 30-30 placed correctly will take either deer or hogs out to the limit of your eyesight with irons. 44 Mag will be at least as effective inside 100 yards. It will work beyond that, certainly, but 30-30 is a better choice beyond 100.

Most hog hunting I've done has seen the shooting well under 100 yards and a lever gun in 44 mag is ideal. For deer, I love and use the 30-30. It really can't be beat with the proper bullet/velocity combination.

Why not both? Carry a Marlin 30-30 and your choice of 44 revolver on you hip.
    "Time wounds all heels." Well, maybe not, but it helps me to think so rather than responding to bad actors.

Boolit Bub
    I really like my .44 for hogs.

Boolit Master
    Depends on the hogs. Any normal weight feral hog a 30-30 is going to more than take care of so long as you don't try to shoot through the cape on a boar. If you are intentionally going after the old nasty monster 600+ lb hogs you need to choose a third caliber.

Have a good hunt.

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

In Remembrance
    Which ever shoots best at the distance you will be shooting.
    Using cast, I would probably go with the 44 and just keep the distance suitable.

Boolit Master
    I'd just carry whichever you shoot a bit better, r just whichever you feel like taking when the day comes if you shoot them equally. Both are very effective.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Master
    30-30. No doubt about it on this end. Just look at the stat's and see for yourself.

Boolit Master

Either one as long as a good bullet or boolit is used. I don't like the high velocity "blows up in animal and expends all it's energy" theory.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Buddy
    Either will work, but I vote for the .44 - because you can load more rounds into the rifle. It should cycle properly - you understand that an angry hog won't wait for you to clear a jam (and it doesn't take much to get 'em angry). In SE Mo. you shots will mostly be under 50 yards. I understand that Iron County has a good population of hogs, but I haven't hunted there - yet.
    M

Boolit Grand Master

Well, for me it would depend on distances to be shot. If under 100 yds, either would be fine, and it would be 6 of one and half dozen of another. If it will be beyond 100 yds, I would favor the 30-30. The suggestion of carrying a 30-30 rifle and side packing a 44 also has merit if you are so inclined.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Either will work but i'd prefer the 30-30 myself.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

I would have to agree that I would Greatly prefer the 30-30 over the .44 Mag.

The 30-30 has a larger range of use and usually much better accuracy than the .44 Mag Marlin.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Master
    I don't think accuracy is going to be the issue. When hunting deer or hog if you can hit a pie pan at 75 to 100 yards you have minute of deer or pig accuracy, and I have never seen a 30-30 or 44 mag rifle or carbine that couldn't do ALOT better than that kind of accuracy.

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Quote Originally Posted by GoodOlBoy View Post
    I don't think accuracy is going to be the issue. When hunting deer or hog if you can hit a pie pan at 75 to 100 yards you have minute of deer or pig accuracy, and I have never seen a 30-30 or 44 mag rifle or carbine that couldn't do ALOT better than that kind of accuracy.

GoodOlBoy

A Pie Plate maybe good enough for some but I demand far better from any Firearm I plan to hunt with. As whatever game I am after deserve a clean kill out of respect. How can one have good shot placement when the firearm they are using is not capable of it to start with. Combine the inaccuracy of the firearm with what the shooter might do during the pressure time of hunting. The pie plate could easily grow much larger.

Now if I was simply shooting at targets or tin cans then it would not matter nearly as much or really be much fun when you can not hit what you are aiming at unless it is a barn and you are in the inside. lol.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

100 ft or 100 yards. 30/30 is the way to go. Had my try at hog hunting with a 44 mag never again.
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

Boolit Buddy
    30-30 is easier to find and more affordable. If you reload, there is a lot of choices of bullets and powders to dial in a good hog load.

In Remembrance
    I never bought in to the pie plate deal, especially on most texas deer, and eatin size hogs.