Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's better than an elk for the freezer?

Moderator Emeritus

Since I can't hunt elk in MN I have to settle for grass fed beef. Have 225 pounds coming for $710. Added in 3 extra chuck roasts and have to pay his retail on those so that drove the price up $60. Cut, wrapped, delivered to my front door for that price. I buy from that farmer once a year and often go out and pick the steer I am getting early spring. Come Dec. or Jan. he goes to the butcher after being on hay from the farm and a little grain to bulk some fat. I served a sirloin to a chef and he wanted to know where he could buy it in restaurant quantity. Tender, great flavor from being on mostly grass, just enough marbling to keep it moist. Gave the chef their card and he got on the waiting list and has to buy like everyone else. Whole, half, or quarter only. Last I heard he grabbed a half and was developing recipes to use all of it including tongue, heart, and liver.

Last elk I got part of was from a friend, He brought it back hanging in halves in a refrigerated truck. For helping with the cutting and wrapping he gave me a quarters worth of mixed cuts off a half. He was going to toss the bones until I said run them thru the band saw and cut them into 2" pieces. I roasted some, then made stock for him. After that we had a stock making party from the bones and split the results. Makes great soup base, gravy base etc. Served it over beef roast one time and a friend raved over the beef gravy. She asked what the secret was so I handed her a pint of elk stock and told her to cook the roast in that then use the pan juices for the gravy.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    He was going to toss the bones until I said run them thru the band saw and cut them into 2" pieces. I roasted some, then made stock for him. After that we had a stock making party from the bones and split the results. Makes great soup base, gravy base etc. Served it over beef roast one time and a friend raved over the beef gravy. She asked what the secret was so I handed her a pint of elk stock and told her to cook the roast in that then use the pan juices for the gravy.
    Going to remember that for the future. Thanks.

Boolit Master
    Great work.....elk meat is our #1 red meat.....until I can draw a moose tag

I killed two last year and it was "just enough" for my family for the year, we have a little bit left and my 2014 elk went in the freezer last week. To save on freezer space I suggest getting a pressure canner. Last year we canned about 100 pounds of meat from 3 elk and it is excellent....anyone that comes over for dinner is likely to have my canned meat in BBQ sandwiches, tacos, or meat gravy over noodles.....there are almost never any leftovers for lunch the next day.

My dad actually took the last of my 2013 canned meat because he ran out and I will have fresh canned after the first of the year when I get around to it. Shelf life is great and it never gets freezer burnt....not that I have ever had an issue with that happening when I butcher and package.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Master

Oh yes, swmbo has made it very clear she wants some to bottle, to go along with all the bottles of venison.

We tend to eat "buck meat sammiches" when out hunting.
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

I'll take a good cow elk steak over beef any time, and WAY over deer
    meat.

Congratulations, that is wonderful - but now you know the secret, -
    those suckers are a LOT of WORK to butcher!

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.