Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Powder coat fire lapping

Boolit Buddy
    Wonder how you get them to final size if they have this abrasive coating? Or, more optimistically, this would be a way to open up your sizing die.....

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanOH View Post
    Tell your friend just to use HF flat black.
    EVERYODY KNOWS that stuff will strip the rifling out of your barrel in short order....wink....
    WRONG! There is no solid proof that matte powders "strip the rifling" out of any barrel. PC DOES clean barrels, but not detrimentally.

If you have documented scientific proof please........back up your claim.

banger

Boolit Bub

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by DanOH View Post
    Tell your friend just to use HF flat black.
    EVERYODY KNOWS that stuff will strip the rifling out of your barrel in short order....wink....
    I think a few people missed your wink

Boolit Grand Master

I haven't tried PC with an abrasive for fire-lapping but have used wax lubed boolits and Hi-Tek coated boolits. Both work but there is no need to use the HT as the lapping compound does a great job with a Carnuba Red lubed boolit. The last rifle I used this on was a 1917 Enfield 30-06 with a terrible bore.

The last 4 or 5 inches was counterbored, barely any rifling in the first 3 or 4 inches and 50 yard accuracy with jacketed or cast was around 10" off the bench.
    I made up 5 boolits with CR and Midway 600 grit lapping compound applied between 2 steel plates. After firing these accuracy is now around 2" at 50 yards with .308" jacketed bullets. The bore is at .313" so am going to load up some cast and try it soon. The bore actually has a little shine to it now so hopefully it will be "good enough" since I do not want to change the barrel on this gun.

I think the Carnuba Red helps hold more of the lapping compound and the gas check helps grind it in a little? I think simpler is better in this case.

Boolit Buddy
    [QUOTE=bangerjim;3053453]WRONG! There is no solid proof that matte powders "strip the rifling" out of any barrel. PC DOES clean barrels, but not detrimentally.

If you have documented scientific proof please........back up your claim.

It may not be true but "it's the seriousness of the claim" that must be considered!
    Many urban legends have a grain of truth...but you are right, I don't believe this one has any merit.
    HF flat black pc'd boolit's can look awesome and work just fine.
    Sorry for the thread hijack..I was being tongue n cheek.

Boolit Buddy
    I would stick with a tried and known method of Fire lapping (personally I generally hand lap). Here's why, ESPC is tougher than an oil based compound - it might be too abrasive for too long. You're gunna have an inconsistent harder embedded lapping medium, even if you size before. If you size after making PC'd abrasive added bullets you're still gunna have a bullet that likely varying with how abrasive it is that Varys between bullets. If you size them after then your putting where on your sizing die and removing a random amount of abrasive off each bullet since there's gunna be variance in there sizes after you coat them....

good idea but lots of unknown variables and there are known methods with consistent results.
    Smooth is Fast