RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Cast my first bullets tonight!

Boolit Man

Cast my first bullets tonight!

I received my LEE pot in the mail today and I just had to try it out. I had some clean ingots of range scrap so I decided to give my pot and new molds a try. I didn't figure I would get any great results tonight, but I wanted to play around with flow rate, temp of melt, temp of molds, etc. I still want to order a thermometer so I can log temp when it seems to be right. I experimented with higher melt temp and lower melt temp to try to see the differences. I wanted to see how the bullets would drop when things were too cold and too hot and what they looked like. It took me a while just to figure out what the flow rate should be to get a nice sprue puddle. After I started dropping, what I considered to be, decent bullets, I let them cool and measured them. The mold was a LEE TL452-2302R. The bullets were measuring .451 and were very frosty. I lowered the temp of the mold unitl the puddle hardened at about 5 seconds and I added a little pewter to the mix. By the end I have bullets that meaure .452-.453 and weigh 234-235 grains, although only a handful. I also tried the LEE 356-120-TC mold and was dropping bullets at .358 that weighed 124 grains.

I have a couple of questions too. I am going to check the BHN of these bullets, but it seems to me that they might be a little soft due to the fact that they are weighing heavy. Would that be a correct assumption? I am going to start out with a BHN of around 12 for .45 ACP, 9 mm, .38 Special, and .380. If they are a little soft and heavy, should I add a little lino?

Anyways, below are a few pics from my phone. I am wondering about the bases. It seems like they taper a slight bit at the absolute bottom. Should they be 100% straight? Any critiqueing would be appreciated. I am looking forward to smelting some of my lead, in a different pot outside, in to ingots and really spending some time casting and learning. I am gonna take the handful of bullets I have now and try out the 45/45/10 lube recipe and run them through my LEE sizers just to learn how all of that works.

Congrats! You are well on your way now!

Boolit Master

They look great and the beveled base is the way they are made.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Well done!

Boolit Buddy
    Very nice for a first casting session!

Boolit Master
    Wish my first one's came out like that.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Your off to a fine start, after sizing them load them and shoot. I do find a thermometer while not totally required is helpful, you would be surprised at temp swings when adding ingots etc.
    I don't load any pistols you mentioned but I'd think you alloy is plenty tough enough.

Good job on those!!
    Like most of us....your hooked
    d:^)
    I hope my wife doesn't sell my guns for what I told her I gave for them!

Boolit Grand Master

Doing good! Keep on keeping on and welcome to the addiction.
    Don't worry about too much about hardness, load and shoot and see how they work.
    After years of using straight wheel weights discovered 50/50 WW and lead works better even out of 45 acp and 9mm Luger. Hard boolits are over rated. Size and proper lube is much more important.
    I cast mine just below frosting, have never owned a thermometer .
    Gary

Wish my boolits came out that nice looking. I'm working on it though!
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Man
    Thanks for the tips and kind remarks. I already slugged my barrels and have some assorted sizers. I will be sizing and making some dummy rounds to see if they pass the plunk test.

Boolit Grand Master
    Wait till you shoot your product.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    Looking great. As others mentioned, they don't need to be harder than 12-14 bhn. I like to water drop mine.
    -BE

Boolit Master

Awesome looking boolits and you have it going on with the dummy rounds and slugging your barrel.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Boolit Buddy

Welcome to the addiction !
    Nice looking boolits!

CPL Lou

Boolit Man
    they don't need to be harder than 12-14 bhn
    Good to know, I am going to try to zero in on 12.

Congratulations! They look good.

I started last month and had good luck too. I wish it was good luck but.... mostly I spent a long time listening to these guys.

The only problem now is sending my hard work down range.
    Last edited by strobro32; 12-15-2014 at 09:14 PM.
    If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst, boing or explode...it's probably not worth shooting.

Boolit Master

Great job with your new hobby,--AND a great job with the casting.
    They look very good and should give you pleasure shooting them.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Master
    You've gone and done it now. Look forward to having molds for calibers/cartridges you don't own, heck you'll prolly end up buying molds to justify buying a gun to go with it. You're gonna become a salvage yard junkie (if you ain't already), your wife is gonna be complainin' that you don't spend any time with her, your kids will be searching the streets for their wandering father.

Nice boolits, a very good start. If you're gonna use 45-45-10, they will likely not need any sizing, just add lube, seat and shoot. Enjoy!