MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by thespice View Post
    yeah that's the stuff looks metalic to my eyes but looking better yeah dark green... just tried again on few samples I got given few months ago and it will come off with ya nail for sure... but I think he knows that as when my mate bought these off him he did tell him they cant be pushes to fast as the coating aint tough and comes off with ya nail... maybe he just had bad batch he sold....
    Just for interest sake, what does the surface off alloy looks like after coating is removed?

I spoke to a couple of his customers, and was told that sometimes he gets large orders, and impossible delivery deadlines, and, I suspect he may have rushed things a bit.
    As a general observation, if first coat is applied too thick and not dried enough before bake that is most probably is main suspicion for poor adhesion.
    Second guess is, that he may have overloaded his oven, and the bullets were not done correctly or received uneven cook.
    Possibly it also could be a combination of the two scenarios.

With limiting the speed, he may already knows that they were not perfect.
    There is really no reason to limit speeds with the coating, but alloy properties is limiting factor.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    Just for interest sake, what does the surface off alloy looks like after coating is removed?

I spoke to a couple of his customers, and was told that sometimes he gets large orders, and impossible delivery deadlines, and, I suspect he may have rushed things a bit.
    As a general observation, if first coat is applied too thick and not dried enough before bake that is most probably is main suspicion for poor adhesion.
    Second guess is, that he may have overloaded his oven, and the bullets were not done correctly or received uneven cook.
    Possibly it also could be a combination of the two scenarios.

With limiting the speed, he may already knows that they were not perfect.
    There is really no reason to limit speeds with the coating, but alloy properties is limiting factor.
    shiny when first scratched off but dulls quickly...deff nothing like the lead I make mine outta ww an bit of tin just keeps shiny and hardish for ever....
    so you saying about speed can you coatings be pushed to 2100fps with no gas check then..i want to shoot 125gn hollow points I cast outta my 357 mag marlin at same speed as jacketed as jacketed are non exsistent these days...

Boolit Master

shiny when first scratched off but dulls quickly...deff nothing like the lead I make mine outta ww an bit of tin just keeps shiny and hardish for ever....
    so you saying about speed can you coatings be pushed to 2100fps with no gas check then..i want to shoot 125gn hollow points I cast outta my 357 mag marlin at same speed as jacketed as jacketed are non exsistent these days...
    I dont know if you have been following this blog over a period.
    There is many results published where the coatings have been really pushed far above what you require.
    Main thing is, that the alloys were made with hard alloy mixtures, if I recall 32-34, Gunoil had also published some results as well.
    To achieve jacketed speeds, you cant simply use any scrap Lead, but you need to have a suitable alloy mix, and, after coating, sized correctly to suit barrel.
    Some results were with non gas checked ammo.
    Below are some results; hope it is useful to you. Apology for long report.....

All the boolits were coated with the Red Copper Hi-Tek.
    Here are the results of my range session yesterday:
    Savage 30-06 200grs, 314299 GC'd, Heat Treated Lino 32BHN, sized .311", Reloder 17 powder, Fed 210 primer, 3.3" oal.
    charge avg vel. group size 100 yards
    45grs no reading 1,835"
    46grs no reading 4.958"
    47grs 2,397 fps 1.469"
    48grs 2,396 fps 4.921"
    49grs 2,483 fps 3.75"
    50grs 2,484fps 3.395"
    51grs 2,508 fps 6.0" + This charge is max per Alliant for jacketed

AR15 in 5.56, 16"? barrel, Lyman 45gr RN GC'd, Heat Treated Lino, Sized .225", H4895, WSR, 2.025", crimped
    Charge Avg Vel. Group Size 100 yards
    22.5grs 2,502 fps 2.916"
    23grs 2,603 fps 4.06"
    23.5grs 2,596 fps 1.230"
    24 grs 2,666 fps 3.386"
    24.5grs 2,754fps 2.450" This load is over 3,100 fps in my 23" Contender

Contender 23" Heavy Barrel in 223 Rem. 45gr Lyman RN, Heat Treated Lino, GC'd, sized .225", H4895, WSR, 2.02".
    24.5grs 3,159 fps 3.812"
    25 grs 3,272 fps 3.682"
    25.5 grs 3,346 fps 1.830"
    26 grs 3,360 fps 3.256"
    26.5grs 3,400 fps 2.907"
    27grs 3,460 fps 2.482"
    27.5grs 3,489 fps 2.181" Two tiny specks of lead on the dry patch

All of the top charges in the 3 guns was at max case expansion. Temperature was also about 114 degrees when we finished firing the groups.

I went to the range Wednesday to continue the test of the Lee 200gr RN GC in my 1960s era Savage 110 CL in 30-06. The powder is H1000, WLR, sized .309", Hi-Tek Gold 1035. I started at 58 gr and went up a grain at a time to 61 grains. Range was 100 yards, 5 shots.
    Here are the results:

#1 58grs, avg. velocity 2,445 fps, Group size 1.602" for 5 shots
    #2 59grs, avg. velocity 2,470 fps, group size 1.311" for 5 shots
    #3 60grs, avg. velocity 2,510 fps, group size 2.217", one pulled left
    #4 61grs, avg. velocity 2,547 fps, group size 2.708"

All the boolits were coated with the Red Copper Hi-Tek.
    Here are the results of my range session yesterday:
    Savage 30-06 200grs, 314299 GC'd, Heat Treated Lino 32BHN, sized .311", Reloder 17 powder, Fed 210 primer, 3.3" oal.
    charge avg vel. group size 100 yards
    45grs no reading 1,835"
    46grs no reading 4.958"
    47grs 2,397 fps 1.469"
    48grs 2,396 fps 4.921"
    49grs 2,483 fps 3.75"
    50grs 2,484fps 3.395"
    51grs 2,508 fps 6.0" + This charge is max per Alliant for jacketed

AR15 in 5.56, 16"? barrel, Lyman 45gr RN GC'd, Heat Treated Lino, Sized .225", H4895, WSR, 2.025", crimped
    22.5grs 2,502 fps 2.916"
    23grs 2,603 fps 4.06"
    23.5grs 2,596 fps 1.230"
    24 grs 2,666 fps 3.386"
    24.5grs 2,754fps 2.450" This load is over 3,100 fps in my 23" Contender

Contender 23" Heavy Barrel in 223 Rem. 45gr Lyman RN, Heat Treated Lino, GC'd, sized .225", H4895, WSR, 2.02".
    24.5grs 3,159 fps 3.812"
    25 grs 3,272 fps 3.682"
    25.5 grs 3,346 fps 1.830"
    26 grs 3,360 fps 3.256"
    26.5grs 3,400 fps 2.907"
    27grs 3,460 fps 2.482"
    27.5grs 3,489 fps 2.181" Two tiny specks of lead on the dry patch

All of the top charges in the 3 guns was at max case expansion. Temperature was also about 114 degrees when we finished firing the groups.

I went to the range Wednesday to continue the test of the Lee 200gr RN GC in my 1960s era Savage 110 CL in 30-06. The powder is H1000, WLR, sized .309", Hi-Tek Gold 1035. I started at 58 gr and went up a grain at a time to 61 grains. Range was 100 yards, 5 shots.
    Here are the results:

#1 58grs, avg. velocity 2,445 fps, Group size 1.602" for 5 shots
    #2 59grs, avg. velocity 2,470 fps, group size 1.311" for 5 shots
    #3 60grs, avg. velocity 2,510 fps, group size 2.217", one pulled left
    #4 61grs, avg. velocity 2,547 fps, group size 2.708"

Boolit Master

More results; NOTE no gas checks....

165 grain, 309 dia, 308 rifle, maximum load 41 grains ADI powder 2206H , travelling 2650-2750 ft/sec,
    20 shots were fired. Only powder residue left barrel was clean. 2 coats of coating.
    One coating also gave same results same. No gas checks were used.

125 grain, 316 diameter, 8 grains 2205 powder, travelling at 1200-1300 ft / sec with 2 coats.
    310 Cadet rifle. No gas checks. 65grn 309 diameter Marksman fired at 1700ft/sec with 2 coats.
    Last edited by HI-TEK; 12-10-2014 at 06:44 AM.

Boolit Mold
    More results; NOTE no gas checks....

165 grain, 309 dia, 308 rifle, maximum load 41 grains ADI powder 2206H , travelling 2650-2750 ft/sec,
    20 shots were fired. Only powder residue left barrel was clean. 2 coats of coating.
    One coating also gave same results same. No gas checks were used.

125 grain, 316 diameter, 8 grains 2205 powder, travelling at 1200-1300 ft / sec with 2 coats.
    310 Cadet rifle. No gas checks. 65grn 309 diameter Marksman fired at 1700ft/sec with 2 coats.
    sounds good...

Boolit Master
    Those shipping people can be slow, The stuff arrived into us on the 20th last month.
    I know there is a back up in the port, and with custom clearances.

"Lemon Pledge"?????
    Mr. Miculek told me to use Lemon Pledge as a sizing lube also, I tried a light mist of it on .40 cal 180gr with 3 coats of HI-TEK Black and the standard star die. Made the sizing really easy and have shot 150 rounds through my Glock, the barrel looked clean like it had J bullets shot out of it.
    Don't know if there is a down side to Lemon Pledge but so far so good.
    HI-TEK is the best stuff I have used in the last 50 some years of reloading.
    Last edited by ioon44; 12-10-2014 at 10:30 AM.

good to hear - getting some pledge tomorrow to hold me over till i can get some hi tek lube. ahhh lemony fresh boolits?
    "A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys." ~ Charlton Heston, 1997

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chunky Monkey View Post
    good to hear - getting some pledge tomorrow to hold me over till i can get some hi tek lube. ahhh lemony fresh boolits?
    Lemon Fresh....a good idea... must keep it mind for next development, so we can have a scented coating lol lol...... and,..... cant forget rainbow effects as well...lol lol.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ioon44 View Post
    Mr. Miculek told me to use Lemon Pledge as a sizing lube also, I tried a light mist of it on .40 cal 180gr with 3 coats of HI-TEK Black and the standard star die. Made the sizing really easy and have shot 150 rounds through my Glock, the barrel looked clean like it had
    J bullets shot out of it.
    Don't know if there is a down side to Lemon Pledge but so far so good.
    HI-TEK is the best stuff I have used in the last 50 some years of reloading.
    I bet you have seen many changes in those years with reloading stuff. May be you should write a book of your experiences, as I am sure that it will interest many.
    I would certainly like to sit down with you to talk about your experiences.
    Glad to hear that you are happy with results.
    Most unusual way of lubing, but it seems to work...
    The only down side, if your coating equipment is cross contaminated with Lemon Pledge.
    I dont know if it will affect coating process.

If you consider the end use with sizing, many want harder alloys for various applications.
    I have doubts that Lemon Pledge will outperform the Hi-Tek 5000 when trying to size these harder alloys.

Boolit Master

Had a look at Lemon Pledge Aerosol.
    This stuff contains Silicone oil, in solvent carrier with Lemon scent.
    horror!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You wont be able to stop cross contamination, as Silicone is notorious for contamination by contact transfer.
    Bad news for trying to coat projectiles, if the Silicone gets onto things.

Boolit Master

Had a look at Lemon Pledge Aerosol.
    This stuff contains Silicone oil, in solvent carrier with Lemon scent.
    horror!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You wont be able to stop cross contamination, as Silicone is notorious for contamination by contact transfer.
    Bad news for trying to coat projectiles, if the Silicone gets onto things.
    That's interesting to know. I've read your earlier posts on that. I use silicone spray lube on my duty holster, and store the can in the vault on my patrol vehicle. I hope that doesn't wind up cross contaminating anything of mine. The work stuff doesn't ever go near my casting/coating stuff.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

wow i think i will hold off on the pledge then.

Question: when i get hi tek lube i will mix 1 part with 20-25 parts acetone (or rubbing alcohol?). then how do u apply it to boolits? spray or just like hi tek coating?
    "A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys." ~ Charlton Heston, 1997

Boolit Master

wow i think i will hold off on the pledge then.

Question: when i get hi tek lube i will mix 1 part with 20-25 parts acetone (or rubbing alcohol?). then how do u apply it to boolits? spray or just like hi tek coating?
    When you dilute, with chosen diluent, you can apply as spray with normal household garden sprayer, (500ml or smaller, plastic bottle type)
    Make sure first, that sprayer will be suitable for Acetone or solvents.
    Safest is water as solvent and you can coat and warm dry afterwards without solvents or flame possibility.
    Just a hint, if you use Water, add about teaspoon of cloudy Ammonia, to about 1 litre of the water, which to be used as diluent. It will help a lot with wetting, and also helps with polymer suspension stability.
    Same amount of Ammonia can be added to denatured alcohol or Acetone.
    (I will turn all of you into mad scientists yet...lol...lol...)

thanks - just planning this out ahead of time. i think i will use water and a small spray bottle.

question ~ what is cloudy ammonia?

Boolit Master

thanks - just planning this out ahead of time. i think i will use water and a small spray bottle.

question ~ what is cloudy ammonia?
    It is sold here as Cloudy Ammonia. Normally sold in laundry washing powder/cleaner area in supermarket.
    It is water based dilute Ammonia, and makers add a little clouding agent to make it look milky.
    Often used in combination with denatured alcohol as a very cheap effective, non smearing window cleaner.

thanks

since we are all going to scientists how about some white Hi Tek aprons or lab coats to wear while we coat boolits?

Boolit Master

thanks

since we are all going to scientists how about some white Hi Tek aprons or lab coats to wear while we coat boolits?
    You will need official certificate to permit you wearing Lab Coats... it is only for top of the tree scientists.....lol...lol
    May be a plastic raincoat will be acceptable without upsetting mad scientists...lol...lol.

Boolit Master
    I bet you have seen many changes in those years with reloading stuff. May be you should write a book of your experiences, as I am sure that it will interest many.
    I would certainly like to sit down with you to talk about your experiences.
    Glad to hear that you are happy with results.
    Most unusual way of lubing, but it seems to work...
    The only down side, if your coating equipment is cross contaminated with Lemon Pledge.
    I don't know if it will affect coating process.

If you consider the end use with sizing, many want harder alloys for various applications.
    I have doubts that Lemon Pledge will outperform the Hi-Tek 5000 when trying to size these harder alloys.
    I think your experiences would more interesting to talk about than mine, I just don't get to Australia very often last time was in 1970.
    I also have doubts that Lemon Pledge will outperform the Hi-Tek 5000, I just don't have any and the Hi-Tek Black coating I am using just won't go through my Star seizer without some lube.
    It works in the Magma Lube Master with the short dies but is still easer with a little lube.

Cross contaminated with Lemon Pledge shouldn't be a problem as I size lube & reload in a different building than I coat and bake in.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ioon44 View Post
    I think your experiences would more interesting to talk about than mine, I just don't get to Australia very often last time was in 1970.
    I also have doubts that Lemon Pledge will outperform the Hi-Tek 5000, I just don't have any and the Hi-Tek Black coating I am using just won't go through my Star seizer without some lube.
    It works in the Magma Lube Master with the short dies but is still easer with a little lube.

Cross contaminated with Lemon Pledge shouldn't be a problem as I size lube & reload in a different building than I coat and bake in.
    May be it is time for another down under visit.
    With coating & lube, you can try the Extreme, or 2-Extreme catalyst with the black coating.
    They should help greatly.
    They were designed with reducing frictional loads, especially with harder alloys.
    Just contact Donnie and see if he can spare a little for you to try as a comparison.

Boolit Grand Master

I have used Lemon pledge to lube coated boolits before sizing but now just run them on my RCBS case lubing pad. I can inspect them by rolling them a little at a time and the RCBS case lube dries fast. Think it is a lanolin mixture. No problem picking them up like with the Pledge.
    I do want to try some of the Hi-Tek lube so will call Donnie soon.