WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: beanbag loads

Boolit Master

beanbag loads

Anyone hear of loading beanbags in a 12 ga. shell. Where would you order the beanbags?? Is that something one would have to make? What load would you use??
    May all your bullets find the Bullseye.

Boolit Master

Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Buddy
    Why not just load up some wax slugs with just wax---no lead shot? Or, if you want them really light, airsoft pellets in a wax slug. Beware, though, even a wad can be lethal at short range (especially PT wads, which have a pretty hard, heavy crush section---otherwise great wads.) You'll need the fastest powder you can find; something like Extra-Lite or Bullseye.

Boolit Bub
    A number of years ago when I was on a swat team I collected all the bean bags from a day of training. I took some wads and cut the petal off and seated over a small amount of powder. I stuffed the bean bag in and then roll crimped it. Mine ended up just a little warmer than the factory ammo but it still works.

I bought some of the beanbag rounds a couple years ago and shot them, mine were cloth pouches with shot in them and tied shut

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3224_zps0ea28af0.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	123729

Vendor Sponsor

Ballistic Products has some neato Rubber Boolits they are selling now. They look like little blunt darts.

Two hardness's. to be considered less than Lethal the have to be loaded to below 400fps. I am assuming that they are providing load data with them.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Sta...ctinfo/PEG12G/

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Sta...ctinfo/PEG12R/

These things look cool and I can see a use for them and $30 for 25 is not the end of the world.

Might be something to look at instead of little bags of shot which could have a pretty devastating effect if loaded too hot.

The whole "Less than Lethal" has always interested me, as has the "More than Lethal" projectiles I saw at SHOT last year. Anything other than shot that you can cram in a shotshell for any other purpose than shooting fowl just makes the shotgun more versatile.

I saw some little machined Aluminum Missiles last year that had enough explosive power to take out an Armored Car. They fit into a shotshell and when fired had fins that deployed after leaving the barrel just like my RAM Missile does. They were very cool and downright cute. Reasonably priced at $2750. each,,, Not available at WalMart.

The idea of less than lethal is appealing, especially when in CA where actually maiming them for life will either send you to jail or completely break you in the civil suit that comes after the scumbag's Lawyer sues you for not killing them.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Personally that is what I mess around with slingshots for, less than lethal. By the time I reach for my shotgun all bets are off.

If I have to fire it, I will fire hot loads and keep firing until the reason is laying on the floor. Hopefully dieing.

In this sue happy day and age you really do not want to wound someone and let them live.

If you have just cause to wound them, go all the way and make sure you never have to face them in court.

I had some of those rubber buck rounds, shot them at my wood shed to see what the spread was, they dented the plywood close to 1/8"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by pacomdiver View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3224_zps0ea28af0.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	123729
    That looks like something that would be easy enough to make---a little rice or barley, or smaller beans like lentils, perhaps. You'd need to use a wad designed for a heavy load (WAA12R, for example) or just a gas seal, but with a fast burning powder---doubt you could get more that 1/2 oz of any kind of vegetable matter into a 12g hull, so it would be a very light load.

its full of lead shot, prob 7 or smaller

Boolit Buddy
    So, that's kind of a frangible slug, then? Sounds "more than lethal"!

Quote Originally Posted by FullTang View Post
    That looks like something that would be easy enough to make---a little rice or barley, or smaller beans like lentils, perhaps.
    A little cumin, a little coriander - express dahl delivery!

Just like this japanese prawn cannon:
    ars longa, vita brevis

Boolit Buddy
    I love to shoot, and I love to cook---seems like the best of both worlds!

Japanese fast food , wheres the binford sticker?

Trust me, I feel I must report this (BTW: the "fast food video" was great). I understand the feelings involved for utilizing "less than lethal" ammunition. The fact of the matter is, if you "manufactured" it (reloaded), I would disregard employing it against THE BAD GUY(s). The factory stuff has specifications and parameters that can be called up from their test data. The defense attorney will still possibly raise the question of your training and use of this ammunition. "Less than lethal" can still maim/disfigure, or be lethal if employed incorrectly. Do not give anything up that can be utilized against you in court. Reloading and experimentation is one thing but "real life" use is something else.

The shotgun is still the most awesome (say:defensive) weapon for close in encounters of real estate, IMHO.

JX

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Ballistic Products has some neato Rubber Boolits they are selling now. They look like little blunt darts.

Two hardness's. to be considered less than Lethal the have to be loaded to below 400fps. I am assuming that they are providing load data with them.

Randy
    Sorry, when it comes out the barrel it has to be called LESS lethal not Less than lethal.

Well maybe I could make some bean bags for 12G

Did I really post this? What was I thinking? There is no time for messing with this stuff. I must be nuts!
    Last edited by Garyshome; 06-18-2015 at 10:36 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    The beanbag itself should be easy enough to make; it seems like the real trick would be to develop a load that will give you only 400 fps or so. Assuming you'll only have 1/2 oz or less of payload, you may have a really poor burn with most common powders. Problem is that this could turn into a clean burn occasionally (like on a hot day, for example) and give you 700 fps, which would be quite lethal. If this is all just for fun and amusement, then it doesn't matter, but if it's for actual use---like the neighbor's dog---big problem.

found this on ballistic products website under their nonletal slugs

Maximum velocities on target to be considered less-than-lethal:

• US Standards: 426 f.p.s. or 130 meters per second
    • CIP Standards: 312 f.p.s. or 95 meters per second