Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Colt OMM .22 Arrived, Range Report

Colt OMM .22 Arrived, Range Report

The OMM .22 arrived @ the LGS yesterday @ 11:32am per USPS tracker. I was there by 12:20. I quickly switched the original wood grips for the (included in the auction) Goodyears. Wood looks great, Goodyears are better for shooting!

The action is super crisp and smooth. This gun dates to 1968 or 1969. They really built them back then. As per the auction copy: the outside of the gun had some minor pitting. It had been polished and reblued. the interior of barrel, cylinder, chanbers and muzzle are perefect. I'm guessing it was put away dirty, and the bullet grease saved the interior.

Single action is 3-3/4#, double action is 9#. The smoothness led me to believe they weights were less, untill I put the gages to it. Smoothness counts!

The gun handles so well, and it's a joy to shoot. Even with a 6" barrel, the I Frame weight sits the gun firmly in the hand.

All shots 15 yards off hand. later, I saw several large grapefruit-size and fist-size rocks on the backstop @ 30 yards. The OMM nailed them ever shot!

SA pull 3-3/4

Double action pull, 9#

S&B SV lead/wax, 15 yards off hand

12 shots Wolf Match, 15 yards off hand

I now wear tri-focals. I find w/ the 'black-on-black" sights, I have to tip my head back so I catch one of the lower lens. This puts the sights fairly into focus, and the target a blur, but it's better then the sights completely out of focus! W/ a glow dot or red ramp, then I can use the upper lens.
    Last edited by enfieldphile; 12-10-2014 at 12:24 AM.

Boolit Master

Lovely sidearm. My 1967 version is nearly new and has the tightest chambers of any rimfire I own. Measured with a Starrett dial bore gauge, all six go 0.2221" to 0.2222" and all are round.

Try yours at longer range. I can annoy my shooting partner on call by ringing an 8" gong at 85 yards, two handed with a forearm rest and CCI Mini Mags. I also wear bifocals.

Nice buy - I can remember when those OMM's ruled the roost, along with the Colt Woodsman Match Target, before the advent of less-expensive target-grade 22LR auto's.

Boolit Mold
    Nice shooting .....you should try a stick on peep on your glasses,clears things up quit a bit.

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Colt Officers model 22LR 1930 with Bushnell Phantom scope 4-25-2013 (2).jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	124044Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Colt Officers model 22LR 1930 with Bushnell Phantom scope target  b 4-25-2013 cropped.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	124045

I had to mill out a scope mount for mine. I can't see the target with my old eyes.
    Two years ago at a gun show I dickered this 1930 Officers model 22 down from $650 to $540.
    I took it to the range the next month. I dunno if that group is at 50' or 75'.
    What ever the standard handgun range is at Issaquah.
    Last edited by Clark; 12-09-2014 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Colt Officers model 22LR 1930 with Bushnell Phantom scope 4-25-2013 (2).jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	124044Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Colt Officers model 22LR 1930 with Bushnell Phantom scope target  b 4-25-2013 cropped.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	124045

I had to mill out a scope mount for mine. I can't see the target with my old eyes.
    Two years ago at a gun show I dickered this 1930 Officers model 22 down from $650 to $540.
    I took it to the range the next month. I dunno if that group is at 50' or 75'.
    What ever the standard handgun range is at Issaquah.
    Good shooting clark!

Yes, your OMM is pre-war, very nice!

Your original wood stocks are worth $175 on up. In fact people change out the silver emblems for gold and sell them as python stocks, then are in the $225-250 range. A sure sign of a re-blue on a colt revolver is the sides of the hammer being blued. I have used jelly rust remover vary carefully to make the sides white again on a blued hammer. Colt always left that in the white on production revolvers. No matter, you have one of the best shooting revolvers on the market. Balance is super. And when you tire of hitting aluminum cans at 25 yards single action, switch to double action. While the Colt stacks at the end in DA, I use it to know when the trigger will break.

Boolit Master

Yes!! Loved the old .22 OMM when I had one. Alas, I wanted a more compact .22 for woods running and have eventually settled on two M18 Smiths which fill the niche nicely. But I remember breaking a NIB .22 OMM out of the box with the factory target, cleaning it and breaking it in. We were popping clays with our shotguns and here's this big walnut tree loaded with almost full grown walnuts and we had to shoot up all our ammo on green walnuts. But man, the OMM would really shoot./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....