Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My week deer hunting in SE PA.....

Boolit Grand Master

My week deer hunting in SE PA.....

deleted
    Last edited by dragon813gt; 02-25-2016 at 07:30 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.

How do you like that back pack? I have the "Archery" super small version that suits me fine. Sort of expensive, but I was able to stuff everything I need into this compact unit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]The meetings will continue until we find out why we can't get anything done around here. NRA Life Member, Illinois State Rifle Assoc., Chillicothe Sportsmans Club.

Vendor Sponsor

That looks like a spot that needs to be hunted from treestand. That looks like a good tree for one too.. Just sayin'
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Well they're not going to kill themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

good looking rifle. What's it chambered for? Tell me about the sights.
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Banned

I've left tree stands up on our public land here for more than a year at a time and haven't had one stolen. Mine are usually a lot harder to get into than most guys are willing to climb though and I lock them on with a strong chain. Was out there today and sawt two chain on stands some retarded bowhunter must have set up. On the edge of a field that's been harveted a while now and he used laddert sticks, big red ratchet straps to secure everything and cut away half the tree for his "shooting lanes". One ofthem was only 40 yards from the place where everybody parks there cars before the road closes to vehicle traffic. The guy must not want to see a deer very badly.

Vendor Sponsor

I was thinking a climber but that's a lot of hauling, let alone if you have to drag deer as well!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Marlin 336 in 35 Remington. Has a Skinner Sight w/ a Merit aperture on it.

First pic was w/ the stock aperture. This one shows the Merit.
    Can you show a close up of the front sight and how it mounts? Those look like a great alternative to stock irons and are a lot lighter than a scope.

Skinner sights are my personal preference. Makes everything easier. Hang in there, usually when you least expect it, there it is.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    I was thinking a climber but that's a lot of hauling, let alone if you have to drag deer as well!
    me and my son use climbers we use our game cart or our ice fishing sled to haul them and Deer in and out of the woods
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Dragon,

If it is a Badlands you can get it repaired or replaced free of charge, even if you aren't original owner. They stand behind their equipment. Here's link:

http://www.badlandspacks.com/badlands_warranty_1.html
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]The meetings will continue until we find out why we can't get anything done around here. NRA Life Member, Illinois State Rifle Assoc., Chillicothe Sportsmans Club.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Deer.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	123713 This is the terrain I am used to.

A coworker and I drove from Pittsburg PA to Frostburg MD and back, both being deer hunters we commented on the how different hunting would be from what we were used to.

Vendor Sponsor

I like it where it's thick. If it's hard to get into and you gotta fight your way in, and you can find where a few well worn trails converge and get up a tree overlooking that, you will get deer. Doe most likely but hey I can't taste the horns once cooked. Virginia/North Carolina has some good hunting just about anywhere in the state anymore, mostly pistol range or a little more, some farms I hunt on you can use a rifle pretty good but you won't kill near as many as you will in the thick woods.

Banned

We're more rolling and wooded here in Eastern Kansas than many think, but a guy could get a long shot.

Personally, I hunt exactly the way DougGuy just described, never killed one more than 100 yards, the vast majority have probably averaged closer to 50 and I;ll kill a couple most years. This year hasn't been going so hot thus far.

Boolit Master
    I like that paracord sling you have on your 336, Dragon813gt. Did you buy it or make it?
    Here is a picture from my hunting area. I wanted to see how close he would come in.

Name:	23-11-09_0742.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	123736

Quote Originally Posted by CastingFool View Post
    I like that paracord sling you have on your 336, Dragon813gt. Did you buy it or make it?
    Here is a picture from my hunting area. I wanted to see how close he would come in.

Name:	23-11-09_0742.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	123736
    Next time see if you can get it to jump into the frying pan LOL! I live in town so shooting is prohibited but there is a doe that lives in the wooded patches that walks through the yard regularly. I'll step out my front door and she'll just stare at me from 10 yards away.

I grew up in Maryland and hunted most of my life there. Our base camp was on a small piece of private land but we also hunted the Chesapeake forest. Hunting was good. There as been years I've taken 3-4 deer during rifle season many occasions. 5 years ago the private land owner past away and my job transferred me to north east pa. The hunting up here is definitely different. Don't see many deer up here than what I'm used to seeing. The cost of me going down to Maryland for a week just isn't in my budget. But I do miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by taco650 View Post
    Next time see if you can get it to jump into the frying pan LOL! I live in town so shooting is prohibited but there is a doe that lives in the wooded patches that walks through the yard regularly. I'll step out my front door and she'll just stare at me from 10 yards away.
    I have this guy outside my office window at work. He let's me open the door and take pictures from 15 yards away.
    I've seen a couple of other bucks in the neighborhood with similar drop tines. I certainly hope he's a prolific breeder.