Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
Repackbox

Thread: Pros and cons of different M1 carbines

Boolit Buddy Nocturnal Stumblebutt's Avatar

Pros and cons of different M1 carbines

I know there are several different makes of M1 carbines, vary greatly in price, quality, and reliability, I'd like to hear from someone who can educate me on the pros and cons of the "affordable" brands like inland and universal, or other brands in $500 to $600 range. I'm interested in things like feeding issues, comparability with GI parts, etc. thanks

As far as I'm concerned, the only ones that are reliable are the G.I. carbines. Winchester, Inland, Underwood, Quality Hardware, Rock-Ola, Irwin-Pedersen, Saginaw, National Postal Meter, Standard Products, I.B.M. Inlands are usually the least expensive of the G.I. carbines, but work just as well as any other. G.I. parts are interchangeable between contractors, not always so with aftermarket makes. Feeding issues? They were designed to feed a 110gr. FMJ RN bullet and they do it well. I once tried to feed a flat nose cast boolit intended for .32 WCF from the magazine and failed miserably, (insert one at a time by hand directly into the chamber) hollow points are a toss-up as are some soft points. Cast bullets of the proper nose profile though will feed and function as well as G.I. ball. Having good magazines is also a plus!

Edit to say, I'm no collector of carbines, but they're handy to have around, easy to load for, cheap on components, and fun to shoot. I wouldn't be without one! Most of mine have been late war Inlands, the one I have now is an early war Underwood, not that it matters, I got it cheap from a private sale. This from a WWII vet who used one in Europe, "Always load 2 rounds shy of full magazine capacity and they'll always work."
    Last edited by Ithaca Gunner; 12-02-2014 at 01:25 PM.

I have an Iver Johnson 50th Anniversary .30 Carbine that I purchased new, about 35 years ago, if I recall correctly. I put hundreds of rounds through it, the first couple years I had it, with no problems of any kind. I do remember being amazed at how accurate it was out to 200 yards. Then it sat in my gun safe for the last 20 years, unused. Last year I decide to start using it again, so I brought it in to a gunsmith, I know, to be checked out. I also was thinking of putting a small scope on it. The gunsmith checked it out completely and the only thing that was done, was to replace the main spring.

The gunsmith refused to do any drilling to place a mount on the gun. He told me that they were high quality and becoming very collectible, so he would not make any changes to it. Earlier this year I saw an identical .30 Carbine at one of our many gun shows, like new, with the original box for $550.00. I gave it a lot of thought but didn't buy it. I actually could not sleep that night, as that carbine was on my mind. I went back the next day, very early, and as all these stories go, it had been sold. That has bothered me now, every time I handle mine.

For what it's worth. a friend picked up a Universal .30 Carbine about two years ago. I am not positive but I think he paid $400 for it. The first thing he did was bring it to the gunsmith we know and had him check it out. I don't know exactly what he did but he cleaned it up, buffed a few parts and maybe changed a part or two. Anyway, $120 later my friend's Carbine was working flawless in the desert, where we shoot.
    "Of All The Things I Have Lost During My Life, I Miss My Mind The Most!!!"

Boolit Master
    Some .30 Carbine brass can stretch enough that the bolt can lock up and you have to use a boot heel on the operating handle to get it open. I had one here that did that about once every six rounds. I found a raised bump on the right hand lug recess and matching dimple in the lug. after using a white arkansas stone to lower and polish the bump the carbine fed perfectly, no more jams.

The replacement barrels I've seen had short chambers, probably a lot of jamming is due to replacement barrels that weren't reamed deep enough.

From what I've seen the more tapered a case body the more likely it is to tie up an action, thats pretty obvious with revolvers but not so easily recognized when it comes to auto loaders.
    A straight tapered case that headspaces on the case mouth is the worst combination.

Boolit Buddy Nocturnal Stumblebutt's Avatar
    Thanks everyone, I know the company that owns Hi Point relatively recently acquired Inland and are manufacturing new, GI spec, M1 Carbines, I've heard mixed rumbling about Universal's, which is why I asked the question.

Boolit Master
    Nocturnal.

ALL the GI Carbines work fine with GI 110 grain Ball ammo. I bought two WWII GI Carbines in 1965 from DCM for $17.50 each plus $2.50 postage. One is Inland and the other IBM. I am amazed at the prices WWII GI Carbines go for at the local gun shows. My best cast Boolit is the Lyman #311410 130 grain RN plain base bullet and 2400 powder.

I know nothing about post WWII Commercial Carbines. All I know is two Carbines are all I need. I know it was a GI favorite because it was light and had a 15 or 30-round magazine in WWII. My Marine uncle, who served in Korea, advised it was NOT a man-stopper and he grabbed a Garand at the first opportunity.

I used to carry a Carbine here on the farm until I got my first NEW SKS for $85 in 1991. I use the same boolit (#311410) sized .311 plain base in the SKS with good accuracy and function. GI Carbines are interesting arms, but for a shooter, I would get an SKS and a few cases of ammo.

Adam Helmer
    Last edited by Adam Helmer; 12-03-2014 at 03:26 PM.

Boolit Master
    Wow this is weird I have been REALLY thinking about trying to get myself a M1 Carbine lately and been looking. I will probably sell my old remmy 700 270 to try to finance part of it if I can find the right buyer. Anyway I REALLY want an old Inland, but with prices I have seen I may just break down and buy a brand spankin new Auto Ordnance.

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

ive owned 2 universal carbines, one was a piece of junk and shot like **** and jammed way too much, so that went down the road, on the other hand I have a universal enforcer pistol, it eats anything I feed it without a hiccup and is suprisingly accurate for a 10" barrel pistol. I can ring the 12" plate at 100 with it every time. its a very fun plinker. eats berrys 112g bullets like candy

i also have 4 other carbines. I have an inland my dad bought back in the early 60's, that came in a folding paratrooper stock, a saginaw , an IBM and an early postal meter in the correct postal meter stock and was never updated with bayonet lug or adjustable rear sight.

adam, my uncle was the same way, but he mostly carried a BAR in korea

Hi Point is, or will be using the Inland name on new carbines?

Boolit Master
    I understand that the early Universal carbines used USGI parts. They are just about as good as the "real" carbines. As the USGI parts started to run out, they started making their own parts. Forgings were changed to castings or stampings, which was not good, but you could always change those parts for USGI ones if necessary.

After a while, they changed the design (to make it cheaper) so that USGI parts would no longer fit. These are the ones to stay away from. I have seen two late model Universal carbines that had broken op-rods. It is difficult (if not impossible) to get replacement parts for them. When they break, what you have is worthless. Look at the op-rod on the right side to tell these. If there is a cutout that fits over the knob on the bolt, and you can easily see the knob through the cutout, stay away from it. The op-rod on a real carbine is only cut partway through from the back so you cannot see the knob under normal operations. That is the weakest part that I know of, but I have been told that the change to light double recoil springs was a feeding problem, too.

unfortunately my enforcer is a cutout oprod one, but it runs great. ive put close to 1000 rounds thru it. I don't remember what the other one was other than it was junk

Had a palinfield 30 + years ago. It was alll new GI parts on a new made receiver& barrel. Worked well enough but several thousand rounds into it I noticed the not GI quality gas block being 'peened' from the dovetail it sat in. I got rid of it back then. A buddy had an Iver Johnson... goofy metal holed handguard about nothing was GI interchangeable. A really cheapo affair with the sheet metal cutout op rod. He had on and off issues with it and eventually got rid of it.
    Every GI Carbine I have had was flawless in function. I even had a blue sky import Inland with a really worn bore and it was a tack driver . Used to put shotshells in th epicket fence and at 50 feet could shoot out the primer with which set off the powder and knocked the shot out the front of the shell. Got rid of all the carbines ages ago , but a buddy several months ago gave my son a non import winchester made carbine and it's alot of fun all over again.
    No , I did not read that in a manual or stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.... it's just the facts Ma'am.

What's the difference between a pig and an Engineer ?
    You can argue with the Pig.

Boolit Buddy
    Avoid CAI.

I believe that were complete GI parts from the war, but disassembled and the receivers cut in Europe, imported as parts only. Then CAI made a new receiver for it. Well, something that they call a receiver. Just plain junk.

Knew a guy that had two. Both of them would throw the op rod when shot. Their quality control really sucks.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Epd230 View Post
    Avoid CAI.

I believe that were complete GI parts from the war, but disassembled and the receivers cut in Europe, imported as parts only. Then CAI made a new receiver for it. Well, something that they call a receiver. Just plain junk.

Knew a guy that had two. Both of them would throw the op rod when shot. Their quality control really sucks.
    didnt know cai made m1 carbines, they certainly made up some garands that had mucho problems.

Boolit Master

GoodOlBoy..... If your going to invest in a M1 carbine, get a GI WW2 one.
    They will only grow in value and you will have a real piece of history.
    Price might be a little high now, but you will be better off in the long run.
    Denny

Boolit Man

Many years ago, almost 40, I got rid of the few GI m1 carbines I had after I shot up all the ammo that came with them. Didn't miss them, I had other gun interests. Then 3 years ago a work buddy asks me if I want one he has, he sold the other 2, but this one "had issues". Nobody wanted it. So for a very nice price, it went home with me. A few phone calls later and I had mags, ammo and a spring kit on the way. All was good until the spring kit showed up and I took it to the kitchen table to install it. My wife put it to her shoulder and had a new rifle! A lightweight, low recoil, accurate Saginaw carbine that functions flawlessly. Milspec is the only way to go. She asked what it was worth, so I told her ... then came how much was it, I told her...pause....do you want me to take it back? Like I said, she has a new rifle...and won't part with it. Dave