Snyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee Precision

Thread: 35 Remington

Boolit Master

35 Remington

Considering surplus 50 cal powder and the 35 Remington cartridge. Some say the powders don't burn cleanly until 50,000 psi, and the 35 Remington, in a Marlin 336 is a 40,000 psi gun. Probably ought to reserve the surplus for other applications. Non?
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master

With heavy Boolits I've done well with 50 BMG powder all the way to the .308 Winchester case bore ratio. (Sometimes with a kicker charge) I don't think you will be happy with very slow burn rate powders in the 35 rem. AA 2520,2460,2230 and IMR 3031 just to name a few will all be friendly to your 35 Rem.

I don't see why it wouldn't work.....and since you mentioned it, I don't know why I haven't tried it myself. I've had decent results with it in 7.62X39 and 30-30 as well as larger cases.

I'd start with RCBS 35-200-FP at about 90% load density and work up to 100%.....I'd expect to see 1800 to 1850 fps at the top end. Take a close look at ES and SD, group size and unburned powder.

If you think the unburned powder is excessive (it probably will be) back off 3 grains on the main charge and add 3 gr. kicker against the flash hole before the main charge. For a kicker, I like an easy to ignite, fast rifle powder like Re7, IMR3031, IMR4227, etc.

Should end up at 1900 fps or so with pretty good accuracy.

I think I'll load some and see what happens.

Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Boolit Master
    I fooled with some slower powders in the 35 Rem, and always ran out of case capacity before I hit my target velocity. I was trying to at least equal the speeds of a factory 200 gr. load though. If a bit less velocity is ok with you, it might work out.

Boolit Buddy
    How many 35 Remington rounds do you plan on shooting per year? I love mine and load for it, but actually shoot it very little outside of deer season. So, I don't worry too much about how much powder for it costs. My favorite is Varget. I get "full" velocity and excellent accuracy with Varget behind the RCBS 35 200 cast of ACWW. -Ed

Boolit Buddy

Another cheap powder that should work with the 35 Rem is AA2200. I bought this back in the '90's when it was in the neighborhood of $60-$75/ 8lb jug. There is still some of it out there below the cost of standard canister powders.
    Just a thought.

I would go thru quite a bit of 35 Rem ammo when I had my Contender barrel.