Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: Winchester .44-40 Model 1873 now in my care

Winchester .44-40 Model 1873 now in my care

My mom had it sitting in her closet for the last few years. It belonged to my recently departed stepfather. The story is his father traded and old LA swamp rat many moons ago. The rifle sat over the mantel for as long as I remember. I don't think he ever fired it. The bore is shinny

I remember it being heavier when I was young.

I have a feeling my black powder reloading days are about to begin.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15683679927_6453496aca_z.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	189.0 KB 
ID:	122751Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15683679557_1504901368_z.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	122752Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15869446255_bf4f82d3e0_z.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	122753
    If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst, boing or explode...it's probably not worth shooting.

Boolit Master
    Good lord that's a pretty gun. Congrats and take care of her!

Boolit Grand Master

Full case of FFG and a 200gr Big Lube boolit is what I use in mine (Uberti, though).
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Moderator Emeritus

You are indeed fortunate to have such a treasure! I gave up on my decade-long quest for a 44-40 when I came across a Henry 66 Urberti at a show this summer. Not quite the same as your '73 -- cherish your step-dad's rifle! At least in my neck of the woods, they're just about impossible to find.
    BEST!
    georgerkahn

Vendor Sponsor

Dang man I would find a clone and shoot it, save this ol' girl and put it in a safe! It's GORGEOUS! And prolly worth a BUNCH too!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Beautiful! Be a difficult decision - shoot it or put it in a glass case.

In Remembrance
    It was built to shoot, I would not waste a minute on the decision to shoot or not. In fact if I lived in whitetail country, I would have noooooo choice but to put it to use.

Boolit Grand Master

Awesome, thanks for sharing. By all means shoot it! When do you think you'd ever get another chance to shoot something as nice as that?
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy
    I would give it a good cleaning and inspection and start loading some black powder. That rifle was meant to be used.

Nice score. Has the original dust cover which is great.

How long is the barrel, looks like more than the normal 24".

Thank you all. The barrel is about 28".

This rifle has been in my dreams of late. I look forward to learning how to slug the barrel, aquiring the right mold, casting bullets, making my own BP and reloading.

I have also been daydreaming of a wheel gun in the same caliber.
    If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst, boing or explode...it's probably not worth shooting.

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    If that fine looking 1873 was mine and it is mechanically sound I would load it up with some 3F and a 200 grainer of 40-1 sized about .002 under throat diameter. My worst 44WCF has a .435+ throat and shoots best with a .433 boolit from a Saeco 220 grain mold. Will easily hold minute of ground hog out to 50 yards. The better bores still need attention to detail, especially the throat diameter to be the best shooter they are capable of doing.
    Do not be afraid to shoot it though. When up north there I get out flinters that are 1826 (a Hall breachloader) and some muskets that are near 200 years old. Have a 1780 vintage "Club Butt" that goes out crow hunting and ground hog thumping with swan shot. My oldest hunting cartridge rifle is a Marlin/Ballard 38-50 from 1870 that wacks ground hogs with no trouble. Then there is a 1866 50-70 Trapdoor that is a joy to shoot. So again if it is sound there is no reason to not to let it roar again.
    Mike in Peru
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Welcome to the forum. Beautiful example of the famous 1873 Winchester!
    Ahh...28" barrel...4" over standard. I thought that it looked longer than the standard 24".
    Thank you for that tidbit of information.

Here is a thread on loading b.p. in the .44-40 with a bit of historic information included.
    http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/ind...c,40683.0.html

w30wcf
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member
    .22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F. Cartridge Historian

Boolit Master
    No kid, you'll shoot your eye out! Clean, inspect, slug, load, shoot, enjoy, about in that order. With some smaller enjoys in the middle.

Boolit Master

That's a fine lookin rifle for sure. I picked up a 1873 in 44-40 a number of years back that had seen hard use but taken care of maybe to well. The bore at the muzzle had been wallowed out from cleaning and bullets would tumble at 20 ft. Tried a lot of different things trying to get it to shoot but in the end I had it lined and the work was done flawlessly. It now shoots so well I am using it more all the time. I carry it on my tractor and it gets to shoot things that need to be shot quite often. I am shooting smokeless but at the cowboy pressures and velocity with no issues. Good luck with yours you will love it.

gmsharps

Boolit Buddy
    Very nice rifle. Appears to be unmolested, and a shiny bore. You are very fortunate. Tom at Accurate Molds has a big lube design that looks like it would work very well with BP. Once again very nice 1873.
    Rick