RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: Ruger Single Six

Boolit Buddy

Ruger Single Six

Have had several in my life time and always wondered if accuracy could be improved if the cylinder throats would all be uniformed to the same demensions and the forcing cone smothed up. Never heard if any one ever tried this. Just wondering.Art

Boolit Master
    Good question, never heard of anyone doing it either. I guess there's only one way to find out....

Boolit Mold
    If it is a 22\22mag the bores are oversize for a 22 because the mag bullets are larger and the barrel is bored for them. The most accurate 22's are the 22 only guns,unless they do what Ruger does and install mag barrels on everything in 22.

In Remembrance
    Did not ever know that the bore was different between the two.

Boolit Master
    I didn't know that they made 22lr only models. For the longest time I thought they all had the second cylinder.

Ruger made L.R. only SS's up till 1959 when they brought out the 22 Magnum only SS; and so many of those were sent back to have a L.R. cylinder made for them that Ruger decided a convertible might be a marketable item. They hit the market in 1961 and most SS's since then have been convertibles, but L.R. only guns were offered, but had the magnum sized barrel on them, and aren't noted for their accuracy.
    McLintock

In Remembrance
    How much bigger is the bore size than standard 22lr in the rugers? What keeps them from leading the barrel badly, with 22lr?

Banned
    I've never measured the bore on mine but that's the first I've heard of the .22 mag barrels being oversized.

Quote Originally Posted by 30calflash View Post
    I didn't know that they made 22lr only models. For the longest time I thought they all had the second cylinder.
    I've got several old models...2 of them flatgates...22 lr only...they are 1956 vintage..22 magnum was not even marketed until about 1959 so there would have been no "convertible" models in the Single Six earlier than that.

I have had several. Had one that never shot worth a darn. For around $125 Alan Harton did a trigger, action & accurizing job on it. It is now one of the most accurate revolvers I own regardless of caliber. A remarkable price for work by one of the best single action gunsmiths in the world.