MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
Repackbox

Thread: 50 BMG cast boolit shooting ?

50 BMG cast boolit shooting ?

Am curious if anyone out there is/has done any cast boolit shooting in the 50 BMG caliber. I ask as a good friend in bad health gave my son a 50 BMG "sniper rifle". Loads of ball and tracer with it... but wondered about big lead pills for such an animal.
    No , I did not read that in a manual or stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.... it's just the facts Ma'am.

What's the difference between a pig and an Engineer ?
    You can argue with the Pig.

I cannot see where you would have a positive experience with it. Certainly you can make them, lots of 300-500g .511" moulds and bullets out there, but you are looking at a small powder load in a huge case and pretty expensive shots for cast. I would opt for pulled BMG bullets loaded down some and I think you would be happier that way.

Sounds neat! black powder and .50 cal pills? I think this could be a most worthy pursuit, not necessarily the black powder bit but cast in this rifle.

I have a 50 cal minie mold and wonder if I could make cat sneeze loads using it...would be awesome I'd think no ?.
    No , I did not read that in a manual or stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.... it's just the facts Ma'am.

What's the difference between a pig and an Engineer ?
    You can argue with the Pig.

Where did you all read black powder.

Anyway Lee makes a mold for it.

Gas check it.

Lube it and shoot it. I'd love to see some results.

Powder coat for lube in zombie green.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingmonkey35 View Post
    Where did you all read black powder.

Anyway Lee makes a mold for it.

Gas check it.

Lube it and shoot it. I'd love to see some results.

Powder coat for lube in zombie green.
    didn't read it anywhere, just popped into my head kind of sudden like.

Interesting thought though.

DYI 50bmg into a mini Cannon

The thing is almost big enough

Boolit Grand Master
    You rang?
    Put about 700 rounds of boolits thru my AR50. Loonng throat. 2100-2200 fps was max velocity I could get with decent accuracy. Would lose a gas check about every 10 rounds of the hot loads as I would have one way out of a decent group. Confirmed when one went thru the front of my chronograph.
    Pushed even harder to go to full speed was a waste of alloy and left lead coating the muzzle brake. None in the barrel though. Powders ranged from trail boss thru H50bmg to vv20n29 in my travails. Worked up the loads with TB. Right at about the 90% capacity range is where it really all started coming together. Velocity was 1600fps and accuracy in the 1-1.25" range @100yds. 1.5"-2" groups were the norm with the NOE boolit with higher velocity loads.
    NOE has the mould (850gr), that I used. You might get by with WQWW's for the TB loads.

Might be able to use a minie ball mould to make "cat sneeze" loads for the BMG, but with the cost of primers, wouldn't be too economical.

Thanks for the info Rockrat. I remember when you first directed me over here from AR-15.com and I purchased the NOE mold in the group buy. I was having so much fun casting bullets with that mold that I screwed up my hand. Tweaked a nerve in my wrist and I had to take it easy for a while. That three bullet mold is pretty heavy especially when you've got a big pot of lead and are having fun. Took me a while to get a consistant cast where the bullet weight was close to same for most of them. I put the gas check on with a Lee sizer die and pan lube them. They are too long for my RCBS Lubersizer or what ever you call it. Anyway again thanks for the post. Going to have to find me some trail boss.
    Life member NRA since 1983

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imag...113199d940.png

"I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Grand Master
    If you come across a lyman 450 cheap, you can have it modified to work. With the trail boss loads, I suspect LLA lube would be enough.

Yeah, that mould gets pretty heavy when filling, probably 1/2 pound when full.

Boolit Master

Either a Lyman 450 or 4500 can work with the correct technique for the NOE 850 Grain boolit. I put together a series of Pics to show how to do so a few weeks ago. See post #17 at this link:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...28#post3000128
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Buddy
    Is it feasible to machine a chamber adapter to use say 50 70 cartridges in the 50 BMG.
    That would let you use a standard large rifle primer and I would guess a lot of 50 70 load data could be used.

Boolit Grand Master
    Probably could. Would be a long jump to the rifling though

Boolit Master

I would buy 50/70 or 50/90 first. Why a cast in 50bmg? 50bmg fills a use cast init? It does not make any sense IMHO unless just cause I can or fantasy.

Banned

I have GC's if you need them.

blammersboard.com to order some

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    I would buy 50/70 or 50/90 first. Why a cast in 50bmg? 50bmg fills a use cast init? It does not make any sense IMHO unless just cause I can or fantasy.
    Same reason we all cast.

Boolit Master
    I really like the idea. You could shoot trialboss and lead without the huge boom. Sounds Like fun. I have thought of getting a 338 Lupa and shooting cast with it.