Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gout, again!

Banned
    To me excessive Uric acid build up would mean your body/kidneys weren't doing their job. It seems kind of funny that one can go for years without any problems note some people never have a gout attack. I simply do not buy into the idea that certain foods trigger an attack. In my case I never ate any of the foods in the so called list that are supposed to trigger Gout attacks. Allopurinol, Colchicine, and Indocin didn't have any effect in helping in the least. Yes, I understand what Uric acid is and I understand it is expelled thru urine and feces. I also understand that when the body cannot do its job that is when you get an attack. My particular physician said no to certain foods causing an attack. So to me the internet cures of Cherry juice, vinegar, certain foods, and in particular the medicines had no affect. But, if it works for you then count your blessings.

Boolit Buddy

Is this what a gout attack looks like?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416194970.138683.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	122037

Boolit Buddy
    As I lay here on the bed I'm rubbing the ole gouty toe. I feel your pain. Mine hurts a little all the time and somewhat more quite often. However I have had only one real gout attack in the 10-15 years of knowing what I had, that hurt.

Boolit Master

I can't say any of the home solutions worked for me. I tried dried cherries, black cherry juice, apple cider vinegar, etc. Water helps somewhat as you're diluting and washing out your system but it's generally very slow.

My triggers seemed to be around the holidays; wine, seafood, rich red meat like prime rib.

I was on allipurinol but I haven't been back to the doc in over a year to get a new script. I have had a couple days of gout this summer; dehydration did trigger it while working outside.

In years past it would be so bad I'd be walking around the house with a chair, my bad footed leg kneeling on said chair. Not the way to live for sure.

Moderator Emeritus

Looks like reactive arthritis, does it hurt on top of the foot right behind the toes? Back of the ankle?

Quote Originally Posted by gkainz View Post
    Is this what a gout attack looks like?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416194970.138683.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	122037

Boolit Buddy
    Since I started taking the allopurinol I haven't had any more flare-ups... about 2 years now... At different times I've used Indomethecin and Ibuprofen for anti-inflammatories with mixed results. Tried the cherries... no joy. So it's 300mg Allopurinol once a day. Now if I could just figure out what to do with this arthritic hip...

Boolit Grand Master

Thank goodness I have never had any of this. Sounds miserable.

Here is what the Mayo Clinic says:
    "Your body produces uric acid when it breaks down purines — substances
    that are found naturally in your body, as well as in certain foods, such
    as organ meats, anchovies, herring, asparagus and mushrooms.

Normally, uric acid dissolves in your blood and passes through your
    kidneys into your urine. But sometimes your body either produces too
    much uric acid or your kidneys excrete too little uric acid. When this
    happens, uric acid can build up, forming sharp, needle-like urate crystals
    in a joint or surrounding tissue that cause pain, inflammation and swelling.

Lifestyle factors. Choices you make in your everyday life may increase
    your risk of gout. Excessive alcohol use — generally more than two
    drinks a day for men and more than one for women — increases the
    risk of gout.
    Medical conditions. Certain diseases and conditions make it more
    likely that you'll develop gout. These include untreated high blood
    pressure (hypertension) and chronic conditions such as diabetes, high
    levels of fat and cholesterol in the blood (hyperlipidemia), and
    narrowing of the arteries (arteriosclerosis)."

Sounds like a lot of common illnesses of old age contribute. They also
    mention that BP meds - thiazides - can make it happen.

If drinking water fixes it, that sounds like a heck of deal. Current cost
    and availability of water are good.

Good luck to the suffers, I didn't know a thing about this before I went
    looking.

Bill
    Last edited by MtGun44; 11-17-2014 at 01:18 AM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Looks like reactive arthritis, does it hurt on top of the foot right behind the toes? Back of the ankle?
    Hi Mary, it hurt like the dickens across the top of the foot but not in the toe joints. This was about 6 months ago. Couldn't walk on it for a week. Doc diagnosed gout just by looking but then the uric acid levels came back normal. By that time the pain and swelling went down. I was suspicious for a few reasons - toe joints didn't hurt, didn't hurt to touch, but biggest - I broke a few small bones in same foot 10 years ago and same doc made same diagnosis - gout! Podiatrist confirmed broken bones, but apparently this doc is now spring-loaded towards a gout diagnosis on me!

Boolit Master

My bouts with gout have the most painful remedies. No wine, beer, vodka, gin, bourbon, brandy, scotch, rum or apperitifs. Hmmm..............wonder if amputating my toe would let me get back on the wagon?

Boolit Buddy
    I'll be thinking about y'all tomorrow while at the rumatoligist for a 6 month follow up and allupurional refill. Never occurred to me my nightly shot of cherry vodka was bad, I thought Cherry's were good. Dang!

Moderator Emeritus

Exact same pain I get, it is a form of arthritis that flares when you get an infection, even a cold can set mine off.

Quote Originally Posted by gkainz View Post
    Hi Mary, it hurt like the dickens across the top of the foot but not in the toe joints. This was about 6 months ago. Couldn't walk on it for a week. Doc diagnosed gout just by looking but then the uric acid levels came back normal. By that time the pain and swelling went down. I was suspicious for a few reasons - toe joints didn't hurt, didn't hurt to touch, but biggest - I broke a few small bones in same foot 10 years ago and same doc made same diagnosis - gout! Podiatrist confirmed broken bones, but apparently this doc is now spring-loaded towards a gout diagnosis on me!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Exact same pain I get, it is a form of arthritis that flares when you get an infection, even a cold can set mine off.
    Thanks for the update, and my condolences for the pain! I suspect you're right about the arthritis ... I've noticed some slowly increasing ankle and elbow pain and stiffness in the mornings ... darn those Ritis boys! That Art, he's the worst of the bunch!

Moderator Emeritus

Takes me a good 2 hours to get moving in the morning now, entire back, hips/knees/fingers/wrists/shoulders... all are stiff when I get up

The part of Texas that has Gators and Spanish Moss instead of Longhorns and Cactus...
    See your Dr and get a prescription for allopurinol, take it as prescribed and drink plenty of water. Don't expect it to provide relief if you're actually having an acute attack though.

For that you need a prescription for Indomethacin.

But if you take the Allopurinol like you're supposed to, over time your purine levels will drop to normal and you will NO LONGER HAVE GOUT.

I'm not a Doctor, but I can say that I haven't had an attack in 18 years now and I don't miss 'em at all.

More power to you if you can keep it under control with home remedies and diet, but as far as I'm concerned, gout is too painful and damaging to your joints to mess around. See your Doctor, he can probably help.
    7.62 NATO, It's kinda like 5.56 NATO, but for men...

two years ago my uric acid level was 742, 750 is critical. Now my level is 255.
    All I did was change my diet, stop drinking what I was drinking, and the level when down
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Master
    Recently had an attack too. Cherries didn't help me much, just time. I can sympathize.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

The part of Texas that has Gators and Spanish Moss instead of Longhorns and Cactus...
    two years ago my uric acid level was 742, 750 is critical. Now my level is 255.
    All I did was change my diet, stop drinking what I was drinking, and the level when down
    Hmmm... I hate to see anyone do something DRASTIC!

Seriously though, good on you.

I gave up beer, beef, booze, mushrooms and even beans, but nothing really helped until I got on the Allopurinol.
    7.62 NATO, It's kinda like 5.56 NATO, but for men...