Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load Data

Thread: Ruger #1 45-70

Ruger #1 45-70

I am eyeing a #1 red pad 45-70. I'm thinking it will make a nice addition to my #1's in 30-30 and 6.5x55. How do you like yours?

Boolit Master
    I can't afford one. But any #1 is OK in my book.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm thinking about selling my Ruger #1 in .458 Lott (originally chambered in .458 WM and then recut to .458 Lott), but I love it too much. Straight up the Lott is a shoulder buster, but this one has a recut stock, soft recoil pad, mercury recoil dampener & bolt on peep sight. Shoots like a .30-06, now. Your post struck me as 6.5 x 55 is one of the calibers I was thinking about, too.

Had one now for over 20 years and I love it. I can shoot cast or jacketed bullets and they all work great. I'd check the chamber length as some of the older ones have a shorter chamber. I know you will not be sorry if you buy it.
    That's my 2 cents worth.
    "If we wern't all crazy we would be insane"
    Jimmy Buffett

Boolit Master
    I like longer heavier rifles for the 45-70.
    45-70s tend to be more accurate with heavier bullets but they have a lot of recoil in a light rifle.
    The #1 should have had a medium heavy barrel 26" or 28" long like the Browning 1885.

If you are only going to fire a few shots while hunting the 22 inch barrel is ok.
    EDG

Boolit Master

Ruger n01 45-70 S/S laminate

Love mine. I shoot mainly paper.350 g cast at 1200fps....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ruger NO 1  45-70.jpg  

Boolit Master
    The one I had was super accurate with 300 grain Hornady hollow points, I handloaded. With a Leupold 3x9, gun would shoot cloverleaf, 3 shot groups. Also shot some Barnes, spritzers, really liked them.

Boolit Master

Mine is the all weather like Shooter6br has shown above. I have taken whitetail with it and also I am now using it as my Black Powder Cartridge Rifle. From what you said I assume it will have a walnut stock and be in blue not stainless. I would like that. I do like mine though. The stainless/laminate is nice in a hunting gun.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Banned

how it's gonna be used is all that matters. for strictly a hunting rifle, it's as top notch a s/s as they come. for real long range accuracy, it falls way below heavier/longer barreled s/s rifles such as sharps, high walls, rolling blocks, cpa's, etc.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    I like longer heavier rifles for the 45-70.
    45-70s tend to be more accurate with heavier bullets but they have a lot of recoil in a light rifle.
    The #1 should have had a medium heavy barrel 26" or 28" long like the Browning 1885.

If you are only going to fire a few shots while hunting the 22 inch barrel is ok.
    Ditto. Mine was OK with BP equivalent loads, but with heavy loads the recoil was brutal. I have a Marlin LA that shoots better and is a lot easier on the shoulder. JMHO

Mine will put a nice clover leaf on the target with a 434grn LBT LFN and a full charge of H335.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

If I get it I will put a fixed 4 Leupold on it and use it to hunt with. I have quite a bit of factory ammo so I have got the brass covered. All I'll need to get are dies and bullets. Lord knows I don't need it, but I do want it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by timspawn View Post
    .... Lord knows I don't need it, but I do want it.
    what we all say at one time, or always ....

Boolit Grand Master
    The good thing about a Ruger No.1 in .45-70 is they will handle any sane load. The bad thing about a Ruger No.1 in .45-70 is they will handle any sane load.

The one I had was a later version with the short throat. It was a joy to shoot with factory or trapdoor level loads. The Marlin level loads were okay. Some of the Ruger only loads weren't too bad, some were quite vigorous in the recoil department.

Still, I wish I had it back.

Robert

I love all 5 of mine. With the Ruger you can do it all from gallery loads to the stomper ones.

Boolit Mold
    The no. 1 in 45-70 is really nice, much better balance then the tropical model. My red pad shoots really good both cast and jacketed. The red pad got replaced with a limbsaver pad pretty quick though 😉

//Kristoffer

Mine is blued and nice wood and I love the look and feel of it. I have shot it a bit, but tend to use my Marlin when I want to hunt with a 45-70 which is not often. I guess I want to keep my No. 1 handsome. I am a fan of the No. 1 and I have never seen a No. 1 that I did not lust after.
    "Time wounds all heels." Well, maybe not, but it helps me to think so rather than responding to bad actors.

Boolit Grand Master
    love mine will use it after I shoot a deer with my handgun
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    It's a favorite.
    No other rifle sees as much range time.

Boolit Master
    I have a Ruger #3 in 45/70. Big bullets=big problems, especially off the bench. Great with 2400 loads.
    Leadmelter
    MI