Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: Deer tallow recipes?

Boolit Mold

Deer tallow recipes?

Hi. This is my first time posting on here, but I have been casting for a couple years now. What I am casting for is a TC Hawkin in .50 with both round ball and conical, 30-30, and 45 colt. I've had a few issues with the molds for the later two, but I'll keep that for another post. I have been using Crisco as a lube for the .50 on both the patches and filling the grooves on the conical, and have been paper patching for the other two with decent results. But I wound up with 2 1/3 quarts of deer tallow from a doe I took a couple weeks ago during archery season and would like to use it in a lube for these cartridges. I will probably stick with paper patch for the faster loads in the 30-30 and 45, unless I can get a lube that lets me get the same velocity without leading. But for the milder loadings I want to use the a lube instead of patching so I don't have to spend as much time on each load just cutting the patch and wrapping the boolit.
    The loads that I have found with the 45 that I like are a 252 gr SWC Lee ran at apprx 1000 fps (unique) and 1400 fps (H110). The firearm in a Ruger blackhawk and using book loads for it. Using paper patch they will both hold on a RR tie plate at 100 yards but I feel like I can get similar performance without having to take the time patching the boolits. Well, Once I get the alignment issues with the mold fixed so that I have constant lube grooves, which is why I started patching. With the 30-30 I am using the Lee 170 gr. I have been playing with 2 loadings with it too. A mild one using unique giving about 1500 fps and a full charge of (I cant remember that powder off hand) giving about 2100fps. I've been toying with patching on those where I get no leading and ease of feeding, more playing to do with the full power loading.
    Sorry that was a little long, being new here I wanted to give a background into my casting experience. Seeing what I am aiming for, does anyone have any recommendations for a recipe that would use the deer tallow? Right now I'm thinking of mixing the tallow, bees wax and possibly carnauba wax. Using difference proportions based on the load and cartridge and leaving out the carnauba on the muzzle loader. All opinions welcome.

Thanks,
    Kyle

Boolit Grand Master

A good mix is emmerts improved its good for the lower velocity loads and may work at the higher also. depending on alloys used. 50% beeswax, 40% tallow or crisco, 5% 010% canola or olive oil, and 5% lanolin if desired. I use this for BPCR cartridges with good results.

Banned
    Self Banned I exceed my own RPM threshold
    Deleted
    Last edited by MikeBitzenburger; 11-21-2014 at 09:26 AM.