Lee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Wideners
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Anyone consolidate calibers?

Boolit Buddy
    I went through this a while back and decided to dump both of my 44 mags . I had a super blackhawk and a rossi r 92 I sold them both off in a package deal along with a set of rcbs dies all the brass I had and a lee mold . I still load for 380,9mm,40s&w,45acp,32h&r/327 fed mag,38spl/357mag,45lc in handguns 30/30 win,35rem,243win, in rifles along with 12 guage and 410 bore for shotguns .I cast for everything I load except the 243 along with casting 44cal round balls for a cap&ball revolver and I make my own shot . its to much but I just don't wanna part with any of them .I'd really like to try my hand with a 41 mag but im already doing to much

Banned
    Well in pistol I don't have a 25 or 32 or things like Russian odd ball stuff, but .22 - .500 are in my safe. I'd be much more likely to buy than sell.

Rifles, same thing. Have or have had, all standard & Weatherby cals from 22 - 460 & 470, lots of metric & wildcats. I am always making a new rifle, 1 or 2 a year. So adding all the time. I do have a lot of duplicates that I will move out. (who needs 15 or 20 .22s with several match)

I'm always adding rifles of various size actions to use to make new rifles.

My version of consolidation is to move out dups like when there are 20+ 1911s cluttering up the place.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
    That's my thought on it. Just about every gun I own is in a different caliber. I like the variety. Should a shortage happen again, I'm sure to find components for at least some of my guns (I also try to keep a decent stockpile ready for such an occasion).

This was my observation a couple years back. When ALL popular handgun ammo was hard to find, I could still walk into most any gunshop around here and find .32 Long, .32 Magnum, .38 S&W and 10mm.

Boolit Buddy

I'd hang on to what ya got just in case ammo/component availability becomes scarce. Thats how I got by a few shortages before I overstocked on components. I like options.

Boolit Grand Master

I tried, but Ruger released the Single 7. I swear this will be the last new cartridge I reload for

Boolit Master
    For handguns, I still handload 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP, 38 Spc, 357 Mag, 44 Mag, and 45 Colt. I no longer have the 9x18 Makarov, 454 Casull, or 500 S&W. I decided they weren't necessary for me any more.

I haven't gotten rid of any of my various rifle calibers yet.

Dave

Definitely. I load 38-special and 357 exclusively. My casting and reloading set up feeds my S&W Model-36 snubnose revolver, S&W Model-14, Ruger Blackhawk and Marlin 1894C carbine. The problem is there aren't very many cartridges that allow you to cover a really wide range of applications that way the 38/357 does. Fortunately for me, it's always been my favorite cartridge; economical too.

Boolit Master
    I've never consolidated, but the reason I cast/load/shoot 22rf, 9mm/38/357, 45acp/45 colt and 480 is that every time I think about taking the 32 or 40/10mm plunge I think about how much I've got tied up in molds, sizers, brass, dies, etc. and figure I'll just get another gun in one of the chamberings I already use.

With lead becoming more expensive and harder to come by (I really miss getting 5 gal of ww's for $20 from the tire store) I shoot mostly 38/357.

I would never tell anyone what to get rid of anything based on my biases. But I would like to add something. There WILL be another ammo & component shortage. Always have been and always will. The hard part is guessing when so that we can all prepare in advance. One piece of wisdom I have picked up is that it is a lot easier to keep topped off than to stock up from scratch.

A lot of lead, bullets and brass is a beginning and keeping topped off on primers & powders is easier than looking for for them when there are none to be had

I got rid of .380, .300 Wby, .22 mag and also 6.8 SPC. Then I added .45 Colt, .300 Blk and .30-30
    I justified this by telling myself that I can cast the same boolits for all the .30's and the .45's

Next on the chopping block is .25 ACP. I have a lot of brass and jacketed bullets for it but I can't justify the primers these days

I would eliminate 9mm Mak but those guns belonged to my Dad and he was especially fond of them so they get a pass.

I'm proud of myself because I have resisted the urge to add a .40 or a 10mm. Sure would like a .327 though.....
    And just for your info... casting with a single cavity is about as close as you can get to zero production, while still having some production. -- Whitespider

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Zim View Post
    Yep. Much thought put into this. Basically, do what makes you smile. I geared up for 10mm and 41 mag. Then didn't like the odd ball and hard to find, so went with much cheaper and more available selections. Oh, I didn't give up anything power or selection wise.

So I am down to 32s, 38s, 44s and 45s in handgun. Easier to find molds, dies and brass.

Got a buddy that is trying to collect every single caliber ever made in a Contender or Encore platform. Has a wall of barrels, dies and brass. He is smiling! So what makes you smile?
    Shooting rather than futzing with "stuff". Cranking out hundreds of rounds instead of scratching my head saying "now where'd I leave those 4.7 x 44 Fitzenpheppher dies".