Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
RepackboxWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: H&R Shikari.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    The SPS rifle stocks aren't referred to as the sorry plastic stock, use your imagination and substitute the word for that stuff that sticks to shoes. Kindergarten level censors at work again.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Hello Belton.deer.hunter
    I do beleave it's 1-20

Boolit Master
    H&R won't put a 357 or 44 barrel on a huntsman

I tried

called gave them my serial number 2003 model , they said sure

they got it and said no rifle or shotgun barrels on a muzzle loader

I asked why

I got some BS about how they removed material from the muzzle loader frames to make the muzzle loader barrel fit

funny if they had to remove material to make a muzzle loader barrel fit why is it they will fit a muzzle loader barrel to a sb1 or sb2 frame

mine is a SB1 frame

Boolit Master
    Perhaps the muzzle loaders were sold without federal paperwork and there is a legal hitch to converting them to cartridge firing guns.
    Closest recorded range Chrony kill (3 feet with witnesses)

I have a Shikari (45/70) bought NIB for $50.00 in 1972 that still gets out to the range from time to time. I refinished the stock to bring out the figure in the fine blond pallet wood stock plugged and re-profiled the fore end. I bought a cheap rear tang and front globe sight and it will shoot one hole groups at 50 yards with Remington 405 JSP's and reduced loads. Fun gun in this configuration!

Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    I bought one of these today for not a lot of money. I always fancied a 45/70 in one of these.

My initial thoughts in the shop were that I could re chamber it to a 444 or some ancient black powder rifle calibre. A bit of research scotched that, 1 in 38" twist and cast iron frame. Still should be fun with 44 mags. I will probably load it with light(ish) plinking loads for learners at the range.

An interesting rifle, missing the cleaning rod or whatever it was under the barrel.

I wasin a hurry, so didn't get a chance to take any photos. Woodwork is classic varnished pine packing crate!

I've had a bit of fun with this rifle and a young guy at the range had a shot (or ten, lol) out of it and fell in love with it. He wanted to swap a 1976 built Win94 with Williams peep sight and a Norinco 22Mag lever action rifle for it. I am not one to take afvantage of a young guy and told him the correct value of the guns. I ended up swapping the H&R for the 94 and I threw in a half gallon ice cream bucket half full of reloads and agreed to reload them once for him. He is over the moon and I'm pretty happy as well.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

I found this 44 mag a few weeks ago at a gun show. It has handling dings but looks unfired, or at least very well taken care of. Back in the day my first muzzleloader was an H&R 58 cal. It shot very good. Hope this one shoots as good.Attachment 168421Attachment 168420

I had no complaints about the rifle, but the 94 was a more suitable rifle for me.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Shikari in 45-70. I have killed about a dozen deer with it. It is great handling and shooting gun. Trapdoor level loads are the limit due to the silver soldered lug. But it isn't bad to shoot at that level. With 340 or 405 gr cast it is a hoot.

The Gould Mould would be a natural. It is a 45/70 that I always fancied, but I now have a H&R Trapdoor so that get me my single shot BP Punkin roller stuff done in style.
    Last edited by Four Fingers of Death; 08-04-2016 at 09:00 AM.