Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: What was your first pistol?

Love Life
    The first pistol I purchased was a Springfield 1911. It was a jam-o-matic with everything and the slide release snapped on it. I put a new slide release in and traded it in on 625-8. Never regretted that decision. From then on it has been Glocks, Colt's, and S&W. Springfield handguns are not welcome in my home.

1917 DWM. I was 15 y-o.

Boolit Master

Beretta 92 FS

.45 cal patriot muzzleloader by TC

In Remembrance

Remington-Rand 1911, .45ACP. (Not the "A1") A WWI relic I bought for $25 in 1963. I shot more than 100,000 rounds of GI hardball through it by the time the frame cracked. I still have a few boxes of the 1916 vintage .45ACP ammo my gun club sold to its members at $1.00 for 50 rounds. (back when $4 filled your gas tank) The gun lives on having had a frame transplant and some new innards. It is still my go-to carry gun when hiking or camping where the extra weight isn't an issue but reliability and effectiveness might be. Everyone needs a good .45 beater gun!

Perma-Banned

Ruger Mk1 22

Boolit Master
    colt frontier scout .22-.22mag. got it in 67. shot a lot of groundhogs, bottles and cans with it. father carried it in his lunch box during the riots of 68. I had it with me when I worked at the gas station. still have it and the box it came in.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by curator View Post
    I still have a few boxes of the 1916 vintage .45ACP ammo my gun club sold to its members at $1.00 for 50 rounds. (back when $4 filled your gas tank)
    If you look at it that way, ammo is about the same price now. I noticed a station the other day as I was driving by and gas was $2.70 per gallon. That would be $70.20 to fill up my 26 gallon tank which would mean $17.55 for the ammo using the ratio above. Pretty close to what I see at some of the stores for .45 ammo these days.

Although we can no longer have pistols now, my first was a .22 Smith and Wesson Model 34 with a 2" barrel. On a number of occasion people openly laughed at my little gun on the firing point. A few minutes later when their scores had been soundly trounced, the laughter stopped. It was a great little gun.

Simon.

H&R .38 S&W top break, first revolver. I was 14 and this revolver with flaking nickel and pitted bore taught me about rifling as the thing literally would not hit the side of the barn from 50 yards; I tried a shot when the old man was not around. With that lesson under my belt, I traded up to a 1932 Beretta .32 ACP. Fine shooting pistol and very accurate. Don't remember when or why it got traded off.

Boolit Master
    Ruger 22 Single Six. Bought in 1956. My brother has it now but I have two SS in stainless.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

A byf 42 Luger.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

EAA Witness in 38 super. Good sturdy gun, 1000+ through it with no problems.

Boolit Master
    Taurus 66, .357 with target sights.
    it was just about perfect for a newbie.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Buddy

Hawes Western Marshall .357 Mag ... and boy did I screw up - just checked google for prices ... oh well ... don't remember what I sold it for, but I do remember paying $60 for it in the early 70s.

S&W Mdl 29...still have it, but doesn't get shot any more. Bought new in 1986 or there abouts. I think it cost $265.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Boolit Buddy
    Ruger single six, but WINELOVER said python and I was 16 when they came out with the python hunter and I drooled so much on the case display the guys at the LGS ran me off!
    ]Why does anyone need an assault rifle? My first need is articulated in the US v Miller 1939 decision: every citizen eligible for volunteer or conscript military service, every member of the unorganized militia, should be familiar with his nation's military service rifle, and the service rifles of potential allies and foes as well, to support and defend the Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic.

Boolit Bub

High Standard model HD, from my grandfather, who got it from his cousin, Gus Swebilus

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    If you look at it that way, ammo is about the same price now. I noticed a station the other day as I was driving by and gas was $2.70 per gallon. That would be $70.20 to fill up my 26 gallon tank which would mean $17.55 for the ammo using the ratio above. Pretty close to what I see at some of the stores for .45 ammo these days.
    Wow its been ten years or so since I payed that for fuel. Up here neer buffalo its down to 3.40 a gal. As far the first pistol.... browning buckmark. Two weeks later a tourus 1911

Moderator Emeritus

Mine was a Ruger .22/.22wmr convertible, in blue. A few days later I saw it in stainless, and traded it for the stainless version. Both had grips too small; never really enjoyed shooting them...