Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxWideners
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Help me with a possible lever gun conversion

Boolit Bub

Help me with a possible lever gun conversion

folks I am looking to have a lever gun converted to 445 super mag as I already have a good supply of brass and boolits for it. what gun would you use? will it be a simple throat/chamber job? will a standard 44 mag rifle feed the longer super mag case without modification?
    thanks
    Rob

In Remembrance
    I can't help, but seems like our resident missionary has one he converted to 414 supermag.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 22-250ohio View Post
    folks I am looking to have a lever gun converted to 445 super mag as I already have a good supply of brass and boolits for it. what gun would you use? will it be a simple throat/chamber job? will a standard 44 mag rifle feed the longer super mag case without modification?
    thanks
    Rob
    Even with extensive modification to the action, the 445 Supermag is still too long to feed through a Marlin 1894. If you could get a rare 336 chambered in .44 it would work. Not sure about other models.

Edit: Winchester 94 should work. Essentially you need a rifle that was designed for rifle calibers that was also chambered in pistol calibers.
    Last edited by Sneakybuffalo; 11-09-2014 at 01:32 AM.

My thought would be Winchester Lever action. After all it can feed the 375 big bore.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    Also look into the pressures the action you choose can handle. IIRC, a Winchester 94 and Marlin 336 are both designed around rounds that get up to 40-45K CUP. The Marlin 1894, although too short is about the same strength. The Winchester 1892 is supposedly ok up to 60K, but once again too short, so that doesn't do you much good either. I'm not saying don't do it, just asking that you choose your action carefully. Also, what kind of performance are you hoping to achieve, as in what bullet weight at what velocity? Once again, not saying not to, but make sure it works to your advantage and gains you something over what is obtainable with a stock .44 Mag out of a rifle barrel, and a much easier to obtain rifle. And you have me curious as to what is possible now.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Master
    As Artful said, the .375 Big Bore was made on a stronger action that the standard 1894.
    Last edited by Lonegun1894; 11-09-2014 at 03:19 AM.

Boolit Bub
    seeing that ssk converts the 414sm to work in the marlin 336 got me thinking that It cold be possible and I am one of those folks that like the different and strange of the shooting world and I sure aint seen a 445sm lever gun

Boolit Master

There is nothing wrong with the 444 Marlin.
    I also understand you wanting something uniquely your own.
    I'm also interested in seeing who can do this conversion.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Bub
    Interestingly enough the 445sm and the 444 marlin have the same rim diameter maybe a chop and chamber would work although the 445 is alot shorter. Wonder how it would feed

Boolit Master
    I didn't know .414SM was doable, but if it is, then I don't see why .445SM wouldn't be. There goes my worries out the window, which is good news. Glad to hear this can move ahead safely.

Boolit Master
    .445 Supermag is supposed to be loaded to .44 Remmag pressures . so a .44 rem mag . 1894 Winchester could be a good start .