Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I getting hosed on Closing costs

Am I getting hosed on Closing costs

So I'm in the market for a first time buyer home. I have been getting all the research done and I got these figures from the lender. I know some of these are prob legit (the gov ones), some are negotiable, and some are pocket liners. Here is what they had totaled for a 150k purchase.

I assume that somebody here is in the business and can tell me which to fight, and which to roll over on.

Purchase 150k
    Loan 142.5k

Origination Fee (1%) 1.425
    Lenders Title Fee 625
    Title Settlement Fee 600
    Apprasial 500
    Processing Fee 350
    Underwriting Fee 400
    Credit Report 112
    Recording Fee 150
    Courier Fee 20
    Wire Fee 20
    Xfer Taxes 15
    Tas Service 90
    Flood Certificate 10
    Verif. Employment 21

Perma-Banned

It has been several yrs since I closed on our last piece of property, but those fees seem about in line. I know that requirements have been added to the closing process and a couple of those fees that I do not recognize (less than $1000) are probably due to those new requirements.

Typical closing costs run about 3%...which is the total of the items you have listed.

You will probably learn that there will be very little negotiating with the lender or vendor of services...it will be their way or no way.

Whatever you do, don't let a few dollars in closing cost prevent you from buying. Remember, whether you rent or buy, you pay for the house you occupy.
    Last edited by shoot-n-lead; 11-07-2014 at 08:00 AM.

Boolit Master
    Does seem quite rich to me. Do an internet search on those fees.

http://www.homeclosing101.org/costs.cfm

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Here in Chiraq a local lender is on the air FOREVER advertising "no closing costs and less than 3% interest.

I am sure YMWV.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Master

Seems steep to me hope someone else can shed ao
    e light on it for you.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Water Bill View Post
    Here in Chiraq a local lender is on the air FOREVER advertising "no closing costs and less than 3% interest.

I am sure YMWV.
    That is because the costs are added back into the loan. Be interesting to see how many here have EVER closed a loan with NO closing cost...especially FIRST time buyers.

Banned

We put them on the seller when we bought our first house. Told them that if they wanted to sell it they would cover the cost. They accepted it. Try it, you never know.

Moderator Emeritus

Back in the 1987, I bought my first house on a auction (my winning bid was $7500). The only 'extra' fee I paid was a title search, that was about $100.

My second (and last) House purchase was in 1993 ($19K), closing fees were around $800.

edited: no mortgage loan on either house
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Love Life
    I got paid $250 after closing on my last home purchase. They buyer paid $4,900 in closing costs and I ended up getting paid to buy the house...fantastic!!!

As another said, try to have the seller pay the closing costs.

The mortgage lender and title company will have set fees. If you think they are too high, shop around and you might find a better deal. When it comes to who pays for what (buyer vis-a-vi seller) in a real estate transaction everything is negotiable. There are no laws that say what one must pay. It all depends on how motivated the seller or buyer is at the moment and how much they are willing to give up or pay to sell or buy the property.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Did you already sign an agreement for the deal on the house? Things are negotiable but after you sign up for a deal is not when you negotiate. Did you put up a deposit to seal the deal? Only 5% down, I would not expect the bank to be cutting you more deals. What was the appraised value, I guess that maybe the appraisal is not done yet, what if the appraisal comes in under $150K? What is the interest rate and it looks like you are not paying any points?
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, if you haven't been locked in by signing an agreement, spend some time looking
    around. And don't be fooled by "no closing costs" which are actually hiding them in
    the loaned amount, not getting rid of them.

BIG differences in costs for loans, don't get taken for a ride.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Cast Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    We put them on the seller when we bought our first house. Told them that if they wanted to sell it they would cover the cost. They accepted it. Try it, you never know.
    Yes, try this. It is common to ask the seller to pay for part or all of the closing costs.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

really only the origination fee is truly negotiable. And as others have said, it all depends on price of house, lender, and don't forget your actual mortgage interest rate. might have lower closing and higher interest. for the most part not much wiggle room. I did have very little in origination when I bought current house, but went thru my credit union.

Boolit Master

Look into foreclosure sales, they can be very motivated to move the property and can and will deal.
    I picked up a house that had been foreclosed on by the VA, I paid aprox. 30% LESS than it sold for just a few years before and had a lot of improvements done in between.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Mold

closing costs

The "usual practice" as to who pays what closing costs can vary from state to state. I did not see your lawyers fees on your list, and I would not buy real estate without the help of an experienced real estate lawyer. You need to hire the lawyer to write or review the offer to purchase, not after the offer is written, but better late than never.
    If you get to pick the title company, shop around, their prices are not set in stone. In most states, the buyer picks the title company, but not in all states. If you use the same company that the bank uses, you can realize some savings. Make sure you are getting an Owner's Policy of title insurance out of this, not just a lender's policy. You need to take a close look at the title commitment and what is covered and what is not covered. title companies will sometimes write "standard exceptions" into a policy and neglect to remove them when they should, thereby depriving you of coverage you should be entitled to. Also , find out when you can expect to get the owner's policy. some companies wait over a year to do it 30 days would be what I would expect.
    The settlement fee seems a little high to me, last time I was involved in one, about two years ago, the average was about $200. Never heard of a "Processing fee" I would ask what that is for and who does it. the only people doing any processing are the bank and title company, and their fees are the loan origination fee and the title policy premium. The rest are all standard, not much to argue about. Check with someone in your area who is experienced in real estate sales, such as a lawyer, to make sure you are not getting screwed. A lawyer is the only one in the process who owes a duty to look out for you.
    If the seller pays the closing costs, they are simply building it into the price, it all comes out on the bottom line.
    Hope this helps.
    Joe S

Thanks Joe and everyone elso who has responded. I haven't even found a place I like, but I have a Buyer's Agent I think I like, and I'll prob try to get him to do as much as I can to help me navigate through the process. I just wanted to see how I could get around some of the fees, as my aunt/uncle in KY have many of the fees waived whenever they buy an investment property. Guess I'll shop around through lenders.

Boolit Grand Master

One thing not listed is an inspection fee. A good inspection is worth every penny. Another thing missing is the survey and sometimes an engineering report is required by the loan company. As mentioned above the foreclosure market is a good place to look. Learn to play that game, it will be well worth your while. Listing agents on foreclosure porperties will show you the basics. Dealing with mortgage brokers, agents and title companies gets expensive. Almost all closing costs (in TX, anyway) are negotiable.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

Since you are a first time buyer, this is a good audio book to listen to:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TotalMoneyMakeover-ClassicEdition-800x800.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	121266
    Too many times, they will loan you more than you can really afford to pay back. If you follow Dave's guidance, you will buy less house and have more money in your budget to prepare for the coming bad times.

If your water heater dies, or your car, and you have no emergency fund it is an emergency. If you have an emergency fund and your expenses are in line with your income then it becomes merely an inconvenience.

Boolit Master
    Good advice about not buying more house than you really can afford. The calculations that real estate brokers and loan processers use push that number higher than reasonable and will make you a slave to your mortgage. If you can you should make your down payment at least 20 percent otherwise you will have to buy private mortgage insurance, this added to your monthly payment but is no benefit to you.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides