Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Wideners
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Man the rock chucker primer catch sucks.

Boolit Master

After reading Johnny_V's description, I can see that his catcher would not work with my RC. Gadget or not, I can't see a lot of benefit for me to make a big deal out of catching primers.

BTW, it is "Johnny_V, not Jonny-V for those who do a search.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master

The Johnny_V catcher is for the RCBS RC Supreme only. The design is a tremendous improvement over RCBS hit and miss catcher. If you clean your press top and install Johnny's tool, it will have no primer dust or lost primers from then on.
    I ordered a second unit as a gift to a friend. To say he was impressed is an major understatement.
    I catch the primers in a 2 litter drink bottle, and it's almost full with none on the bench or floor.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    The Johnny_V catcher is for the RCBS RC Supreme only. The design is a tremendous improvement over RCBS hit and miss catcher. If you clean your press top and install Johnny's tool, it will have no primer dust or lost primers from then on.
    I ordered a second unit as a gift to a friend. To say he was impressed is an major understatement.
    I catch the primers in a 2 litter drink bottle, and it's almost full with none on the bench or floor.
    I don't doubt what you say but I'm not going to buy a new RC Supreme just to be able to use Johnny_V's catcher. It is still not a big deal to me. I don't walk barefoot in my shop.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

I agree - the primers on the floor of my garage are a minor annoyance at most. I just sweep occasionally.

Boolit Buddy
    Not sure if this will work for your Supreme, but in my RC II, I glued into the ram slot a piece of cable about 3/16" in diameter. I left about 5/8" of an opening at the 'ramp' portion of the slot. This stops the primers from leaving the slot cut in the ram until they get to the bottom. Gives the primers less of a chance to jump out and land on the floor. Works well.

Now the primers fall to the bottom of the ram slot and land in the tray.

Boolit Master
    I am always amazed at the complainers. I have and RC that I bought in 1971.
    It was my second press. I had decided that I did not want to decap on any press again.
    I use a Lee hand punch and large alumium mold for a base. I knock all my primers out and rinse the dirt and crud out and off of my brass before I size them. After more than 40 years. My press is still tight and clean because I kept the primer ash out of it.

It seems a lot of reloaders try to finish their ammo in the same session they start it in.
    I have never done that so it has never been important to deprime while sizing.
    I may deprime and clean the brass weeks or months before it is resized. Then the prep work such as trimming and deburring is finished and it is stored again.
    I only complete the loading immediately before it is needed. Prime the cases, charge and seat the bullet. My work is broken up into several sittings.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    I riveted a piece of milk bottle plastic to the top of the catcher about 3" high that just leaves a space from 6:00 to 9:00 open to put a case in- it catches most of the primers and the rest I sweep up- not a big deal in the overall scheme of things. The little nub things I just fiddle with until all comes together.
    Loren

Boolit Master
    Dads RC is an older one he got used and no tray, we just put the garbage can under it and go from there, no issues, i do plan to get a lee turret for myself soon.

Boolit Grand Master

Hmm. nubs and felt pads. . . . . . ???? Mine is a circular plastic tray with cutout that wraps
    around the ram and has a little plastic link that spans across the backside and snaps below
    two bumps inside the tray. I lost the plastic link about 35 years ago or more and replaced
    it with a piece of copper house wire bent into a wide U shape. Must be a very different
    design than the old ones.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

I am using a 1977 JR3 rockchucker. It is a good strong press and still functions perfectly. The de-priming/catching may not be the best, but I like the strength and function. I turned the ram around so the primers fall out the back and just sweep/vacuum them up. No big deal.
    My 2, 2AMMD

Boolit Grand Master

My primer catcher is a large, low cardboard box, set on the floor below the press. Primers fall into box. If it needs adjustment, I just move it a bit with my foot. All the primers fall into the box and I empty it when I feel like it because it's a rather large box. Low tech and inexpensive.

Boolit Master
    My Rockchucker still has the aluminum catcher and I've used it forever, but now I use a new Co-ax for everything, it drops spent primers into a small bottle beneath the press, it's also a sweet press for priming, and I've shelved all my handprimers.

Boolit Master

I have a Rock Chucker from the late 60's (?) or early 70's--can't remember for sure, but I think 1970 or 1971 most likely...

I started saving primers, no real reason, in about 1980 or there about...

I have the 4th jar started now...

I've only lost a few that bounced out of the catcher on the old Rock Chucker...

Good-luck...BCB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 000_2033.jpg  

Banned
    Went to a Dillon 650

I use a LEE turret press with the white metal linkage I bought 30 year's ago.
    I just picked up a LEE Classic Cast Turret combo/set up for $200. Waiting is the hardest part.

Boolit Master

Just get a Forester Co Ax press and be done with it....
    Denny

Boolit Master
    Out think the problem. I didn't care for my RC for the same reason and sold it. The replacement is a Lee Classic Cast. If you want to keep yours modifications afe in order.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    Hmm. nubs and felt pads. . . . . . ???? Mine is a circular plastic tray with cutout that wraps
    around the ram and has a little plastic link that spans across the backside and snaps below
    two bumps inside the tray. I lost the plastic link about 35 years ago or more and replaced
    it with a piece of copper house wire bent into a wide U shape. Must be a very different
    design than the old ones.

Bill
    I don't know when my RC was built , the RC II is newer . The collection cup sounds just like this .... except neither had a band of any sort . I went with about 4 inches of 1/2 in wide elastic about 7 yr ago. It probably launches 1 in 5-6 from factory brass but next to none after that.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Grand Master

I have enough reloading stuff, I will not start saving all my spent primers. I would say that's insane but I just bought a flea market Lyman All-American Turret press, set up with 38 special dies, all complete in good shape with a bunch of extra's ( dies, shell holders, empty brass , primers , little tools)....for $48.00, and I need another press like I need more taxes. But it was just too cheap to NOT buy it.
    I'm insane, I must be! At least I have a 38 special and a 30-06 to go with them extra dies!
    Gary
    PS , Since I'm now officially insane, I will start saving all my spent primers.
    Last edited by gwpercle; 11-10-2014 at 07:43 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I cut one of the nubs off the catcher and it seems to help, I also put a thick piece of stick on felt behind it to try and keep it toward the ram. I think one reason it was missing so many before is the poor fit between the right nub and the indentation in the casting, the poor fit deformed the catcher probably making the problem worst. The problem isn't bad enough to sell the press unless it were a dedicated decapping press.