RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another 30-30 dead horse beating, I am sure... moderate target with cast bullet.

30-30 and 45-70 are rifle rounds i load... a lot, 5-700 each per year.
    Reloader 7 at 25-26.5 gr. is an ideal powder for cast bullets 150-175 grains per year and will drop a deer or pig to 150 yards with a shoulder shot... and the recoil is quite moderate.
    SAECO 315, Ranch Dog 165 , Lyman 311041, or RCBS 180FP all will do nicely if they're big enough (.310 or more), and hard enough.
    I use 50-50 ww /roofing lead. It casts soft (9-10) and oven heat treats hard (mid 20s bhn) without the brittleness of Linotype.. This alloy is great to 2000 fps (I normally shoot at 1800-1900), hits hard and does NOT break up like linotype.
    I'm a died in the wool Marlin guy, and these are fabulous shooters, never having leading issues.
    Last edited by pls1911; 11-01-2014 at 10:14 PM.
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

Le Loup Solitaire
    In a couple of 94's, one a carbine and the other a regular rife, I use 3031. I started with 25 grains knowing that the max load is around 30 grains. I found that grouping was the best at 27 grains; moderate recoil, burns clean. A number of other powders work as well; lots of data around in many manuals. Bullet used- 311291....311041 will also work. As previously stated you can go up a bit and see what your gun likes. LLS

Second post here... You mentioned concern regarding recoil.
    I gave my brother a scoped, late '70s 336 in 30-30 a couple of years back, along with a couple of hundred cast bullet rounds made up with SAECO #315s and 25.5 grains of Reloader 7. He was skeptical when I told him he's likely make his Brownings in .270 and 243 safe queens. Why? Because the report was gentle compared to the high pressure muzzle blast of the other two, and the recoil was not much different than an AR-15... very gentle.
    The first weekend at the ranch, he took three pigs. At 100 yards under the kitchen feeder, one right between the eyes, one shoulder shot broadside, the other corn holed at 150 yards running dead away. Three shots, three pigs in about a minute.
    All dropped in their shadow. A convert? OH, YEAH!!!
    "Dang, these little guns are actually fun to shoot!!"
    His other rifles have only seen the light of day for periodic or semi annual cleaning.
    Others of his friends have become converts as well, to the point I tell 'em were to go buy cast bullets. I can't feed em all...
    Last edited by pls1911; 11-02-2014 at 09:14 AM.
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

Boolit Master
    For slow loads with both 150 and 170 grainers use Trail Boss. For fast loads use 3031 for both weights. This is what works for me.

Boolit Master
    15 gr. of 5744 works great for mine and is a joy to shoot all day long.

10 grains 2400 undeer about any .30 cast bullet you have on hand. Good for 250 yards and no recoil.