MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Loading issues with the new Ruger Single Seven .327 Federal Magnum

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    If it's the pawl, you can get a free spin pawl from Midway or Brownell's, or you can simply use the one it has and modify it. Here is a pic of the free spin pawl, this should help the problem of getting the charge hole aligned with the loading gate:

Let us chat my friend. Did you try this on the single seven? I treid it and I think either I didn't go far enough or the spacing may be too tight. It now binds a small bit while turning the cylinder to load and still no free spin. It didn't want to index after wards either but that has cleared up.
    As far as the loading thing, op that spot right were the rims are catching, I took a small drum in my dremel. Sanded that spot down. Hit the whole loading notch. Used a cratex rubber wheel. Then used a felt bob and polish. You wouldn't be able the tell it was even done. You can see there is a small radius or bulge right at that spot that the rims rub on.
    You fellows with the other rugers, the single seven that I have required you to quike jamb a cartridge in the hole before the pawl catches because there wasn't enough slack to roll it back against the pawl then load.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by meister mash View Post
    Let us chat my friend. Did you try this on the single seven? I treid it and I think either I didn't go far enough or the spacing may be too tight. It now binds a small bit while turning the cylinder to load and still no free spin. It didn't want to index after wards either but that has cleared up.
    As far as the loading thing, op that spot right were the rims are catching, I took a small drum in my dremel. Sanded that spot down. Hit the whole loading notch. Used a cratex rubber wheel. Then used a felt bob and polish. You wouldn't be able the tell it was even done. You can see there is a small radius or bulge right at that spot that the rims rub on.
    You fellows with the other rugers, the single seven that I have required you to quike jamb a cartridge in the hole before the pawl catches because there wasn't enough slack to roll it back against the pawl then load.
    The radius of the loading notch is not smooth, there is definitely a small hump where the rim catches.

I had considered sanding this section down too, but I'm still of the opinion that this sort of thing should not be an issue straight from the factory. Just because numerous different types of Rugers are this way does not make it acceptable, at least to me.

Then again, I may be too particular about this issue, but I'll give Ruger the chance to address before I start grinding and painting on a new pistol.

Boolit Bub
    Well you are right that it shouldn't be an issue on a factory new gun. I just couldn't let my new toy pass through my grubby hands. So that's what I do.

Boolit Bub
    Jeff Quinn at GunBlast has a review of this revolver. He claims: The chambers line up perfectly with the loading gate for loading and unloading."
    Did he get something different for his review or is he just stating that he likes the Ruger method of loading the cylinder just as it clears the frame?

Boolit Grand Master

Well of course the chambers line up perfectly for loading and unloading. Otherwise you couldn't load it at all. The question is at what point in the cylinder rotation did they line up. I'm of the opinion that it should be at the stop. I find it odd that people find it acceptable for a brand new gun to not work this way. It seems this is an engineering fault and people have come to accept it for some odd reason.

Boolit Bub
    I am agreeing with you. It just doesn't seem like it would have been that difficult to produce the cylinder to line up at the stop, or at a minimum allow a the small amount of backward rotation to line it up.

Is there some other way to rotate the cylinder to load other than by the use of your hand? If so I would like to know about it.

Is it written somewhere that the charge hole should be dead center in the frame loading cutout when you hear a click?

Do folks expect that the shooter does not have to look at the position of the charge hole when the empty brass is ejected or a new round loaded?

I am constantly amazed at what the younger generations of shooters expect. Folks seem to want to blame the design if their wants and needs are not met. This is what I want and by god they better make it the way I want..seems to be the current thinking. The "me generation" seems to have taken over and folks seem unwilling to undertake the most simple of tasks to get things done. Everything has to be done for them it would appear, including being able to load a single action pistol without looking at what they are doing.

I guess next folks will want handguns that load and unload themselves, aim and fire themselves and then clean themselves and put itself away In the sock drawer or wherever. But what do you expect from folks who want handloading machines that do everything but crank the handle and load the hoppers for them.

Times they be achangin!
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    Is there some other way to rotate the cylinder to load other than by the use of your hand? If so I would like to know about it.

Is it written somewhere that the charge hole should be dead center in the frame loading cutout when you hear a click?

Do folks expect that the shooter does not have to look at the position of the charge hole when the empty brass is ejected or a new round loaded?

I am constantly amazed at what the younger generations of shooters expect. Folks seem to want to blame the design if their wants and needs are not met. This is what I want and by god they better make it the way I want..seems to be the current thinking. The "me generation" seems to have taken over and folks seem unwilling to undertake the most simple of tasks to get things done. Everything has to be done for them it would appear, including being able to load a single action pistol without looking at what they are doing.

I guess next folks will want handguns that load and unload themselves, aim and fire themselves and then clean themselves and put itself away In the sock drawer or wherever. But what do you expect from folks who want handloading machines that do everything but crank the handle and load the hoppers for them.

Times they be achangin!
    If you bought a new car, and to get it to drive straight down the road, you had to turn the wheel 30* to the right, would accept it as is, as part of "driving," or would you take it back to the dealer and ask that they align it properly? Or would you continue to drive it as is, pontificate about the old days, and bad mouth people that said "Hey, the dealer should fix that you know"?

Times have changed, and there will always be grumpy old farts that disagree with young wise-asses, and vice-versa. However, with CAD, CNC, and function simulation programs and all sort of other computer aided design, all in use by companies like Ruger, there is absolutely no reason this error should be brought to production.

We aren't talking about an original Colt from the 1860s, or some mid-30s Smith and Wesson. We are talking about a production run from 2014. It is not beyond reason in the least bit to expect that when the hand notch indexes on the hand, the damn cylinder can be loaded without interference from the frame of the gun, and that everything should line up. If that were not the case, why not delete the hand and hand notch and go back to square keyway like the cap and ball revolvers of old?

Quote Originally Posted by Fergie View Post
    If you bought a new car, and to get it to drive straight down the road, you had to turn the wheel 30* to the right, would accept it as is, as part of "driving," or would you take it back to the dealer and ask that they align it properly? Or would you continue to drive it as is, pontificate about the old days, and bad mouth people that said "Hey, the dealer should fix that you know"?

Times have changed, and there will always be grumpy old farts that disagree with young wise-asses, and vice-versa. However, with CAD, CNC, and function simulation programs and all sort of other computer aided design, all in use by companies like Ruger, there is absolutely no reason this error should be brought to production.

We aren't talking about an original Colt from the 1860s, or some mid-30s Smith and Wesson. We are talking about a production run from 2014. It is not beyond reason in the least bit to expect that when the hand notch indexes on the hand, the damn cylinder can be loaded without interference from the frame of the gun, and that everything should line up. If that were not the case, why not delete the hand and hand notch and go back to square keyway like the cap and ball revolvers of old?
    I did not post what I did with the intention of irritating you, but I can deal with it if you are.

There is always a foundational assumption in posts like yours. Everything is predicated from and upon this assumption. Yours is that Ruger made an error. If that is not true than everything else collapses around it.

I doubt if Ruger would share this opinion and many experienced shooters would also not see an error here. You have stated the "error" as a fact and that is very much open to challenge. What we have here is your opinion passed off as fact, which of course it is not.

You of course are free to disagree, but disagreement in such rough and coarse language does not add anything to the value of your opinion, nor the credibility thereof.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Love Life
    I agree with Char-Gar on the loading issue.

Boolit Grand Master

Loading issues with the new Ruger Single Seven .327 Federal Magnum

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post

You of course are free to disagree, but disagreement in such rough and coarse language does not add anything to the value of your opinion, nor the credibility thereof.
    I suggest you go back and read your own post for coarse language. It was a baiting post if I've ever seen one. You knew you would get a reaction when mentioning the younger generation. But you will deny that.

Here is a question. Why wouldn't the hole line up when the cylinder is locked? Why have it stop at a useless position? This seems like an engineering error to me. Opening the gate or changing the indexing seems to be the solution. I don't understand why people think it's acceptable the way it is. Guess what, things progress and are refined over the years. Just because it used to be doesn't mean it has to stay that way. A free spin pawl is another solution that probably should have come w/ the revolver to begin w/.

And since we're blaming generations. Thanks to the older folks for letting our country slip into the state it's in on your watch
    Last edited by dragon813gt; 11-01-2014 at 05:32 PM.

Love Life
    Hot diggity daggone!!! We got us a ho-down abrewing!!! Or is it a hootnanny?

Boolit Grand Master

Loading issues with the new Ruger Single Seven .327 Federal Magnum

I edited my original post to include the winky eye that I forgot to type.
    Last edited by dragon813gt; 11-01-2014 at 05:33 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

But my questions are real. Maybe it's because I'm an anal retentive person. I can load the revolver w/ out issue. But I'm the guy that has to straighten every picture frame in the house. And the screws in electrical cover plates all have to face the same way. The way it indexes is off and irks me at a core level. That being said I love the revolver and will deal w/ it's quirks if there is no fix.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    I suggest you go back and read your own post for coarse language. It was a baiting post if I've ever seen one. You knew you would get a reaction when mentioning the younger generation. But you will deny that.

Here is a question. Why wouldn't the hole line up when the cylinder is locked? Why have it stop at a useless position? This seems like an engineering error to me. Opening the gate or changing the indexing seems to be the solution. I don't understand why people think it's acceptable the way it is. Guess what, things progress and are refined over the years. Just because it used to be doesn't mean it has to stay that way. A free spin pawl is another solution that probably should have come w/ the revolver to begin w/.

And since we're blaming generations. Thanks to the older folks for letting our country slip into the state it's in on your watch
    My post was not coarse, as it did not refer to bowel gas or rectums.

My post was not intended to bait anybody, it was just a statement of my opinions and reflections about cultural change. It was not bait and nobody needed to take it even if it was, which it was not.

As to the need of a hole to line up, that is you opinion and you are entitled to it. I don't know if Ruger is hiring engineers or designers but you might check.

If you are a picture straightening retentive person, that is only a concern to those who live with and around you. I really don't care. Your quirks are of no concern to me.

As to being responsible for the decline of the country, I did not vote for Obama or Clinton, that is on your generation. I did vote for Bush twice.

I want one of these guns really bad and have been following this thread. It does sound like a pain, and I've been wondering if they would change it. Then it suddenly dawned on me that the Super Blackhawk that I've shot weekly for years is exactly the same way and I've never thought twice about it. It's funny (to me anyway) that it never seemed like an issue until someone told me it was.
    On my SBH the notches look to line up with the chambers, maybe there is a reason they do it that way. Maybe not. At any rate it's not going to keep me from getting one. I'm looking forward to everyone's range reports with these.

My 327 BH 8 shooter I do not have any problems with it for what is stated here.I was wondering about this one .Thank you for posting about what is going on with this S7 .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    All of my Ruger SA's work just fine for me. I am not in any particular hurry when I load them up. Perhaps if folks would slow down a little bit, things may work a little more smoothly for them. Seems like everyone is in an all-fired hurry anymore. The single action revolver design has been in production since 1850. Seems to work just fine for most folks.

Boolit Master
    I'm of the opinion that it should be at the stop.
    This would be nice, but it is not the way the gun is designed. It is not a malfunction that the cylinder doesn't line up with the loading gate when locked up, it is the way it is. Always has been with Ruger SA's, at least all the ones I have had. If you miss the gate and go to the click, you just gotta go 'round again. Not a big deal, IMO

Your Ruger is fine as many above had said. New model Ruger single actions don't line up to load when the bolt falls into the cylinder notch. Old models, Colt SAA copies work differently and ARE easier to load quickly. What's most surprising is the immediate carping about a defective product by those who don't understand how a given firearms is properly handled. The need to be outraged these days mystifies me and I thinks its a side effect of this wonderful communication system of the internet. It's not a youth problem it's the anonymitity. I know a several of guys my age and older that can be perfect bast&@ds on the net, but perfect gentlemen in person or on the telephone. I fear we may see the end of civilitity. That would be a shame.