Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load DataSnyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: Tsgami Chucker lathe for swaging tools

Boolit Buddy

Tsgami Chucker lathe for swaging tools

I have a chance to pick up one of these lathes at a pretty good deal with a LOT of tooling. What to you machinists think of this lathe for making swaging dies, punches etc.? I am an absolute novice when it comes to lathes, so do you think this is a good fit for a beginner? Any advice, knowledge or wisdom appreciated.

Roll Tide

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rolltide View Post
    I have a chance to pick up one of these lathes at a pretty good deal with a LOT of tooling. What to you machinists think of this lathe for making swaging dies, punches etc.? I am an absolute novice when it comes to lathes, so do you think this is a good fit for a beginner? Any advice, knowledge or wisdom appreciated.

Roll Tide
    Not a good lathe for a beginner.

Might be a good deal if cheap enough/near free. Might make a good machine for say, repetetive cutting off of jackets to length, or similar jobs where the fiddly bit gets done then it gets used a lot without mucking with it.

These are oriented towards making a bunch of the same part. Not that they cannot be used to make onesy-twosy parts, but the learning curve is gonna feel more like a free fall off a cliff.

Threading capability is usually dependent upon use of a die head of one sort or other.

Cheers
    Trev