Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
Snyders Jerky

Thread: Lee C309 in Marlin 336

Boolit Bub

Lee C309 in Marlin 336

Is the Lee C309 170 grn. supposed to engrave into the rifling? I haven't had a chance to slug my throat, although it seems that I don't really have one and the rifling simply starts abruptly.

Anyways, after creating a dummy round crimped in the crimping groove and inserting it into the chamber, the rifling seems to very lightly engage the bullet for the majority of the length of the nose (around 0.210").

Is this what a "bore ride" bullet is supposed to do?

I can't get a picture due to the high gloss black powder coat on the bullet.

The nose mics right at .300 at the high spots.
    Last edited by Sneakybuffalo; 10-27-2014 at 07:24 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

The C309-150-F engraves in my 30AS. I think it is pretty common.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

After the powder coating what do they mike at? I've got the 160 gr mold and some other Lees that are for .309 (and others, Lyman, RCBS, that are probably not much bigger). I haven't tried powder coating yet but have read about it and was giving it serious thought because I don't think they are going to be big enough for the mg barrel. My Lee 155 2R @ .312, SPG and gc'd works great. Wanted to go from there up to 180s and see. Like to see your pics if you can get them to show up.

JX

Boolit Master

Having the nose of the bullet engrave when chambered is a good thing. Many "bore-ride" bullets don't ride the bore.
    Rick

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance gpidaho's Avatar
    I have three Lee C309 moulds 113,150 and 180 all work very well in my 30-30 Handi When I powder coat mine it adds a little to much engraving and I have to "slam the door" to chamber them I'm going to do some alloy changes to see if I can find the right size. I am to the point that a nose sizer die is moving toward the top of my gotta have list. GP

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny_xring View Post
    After the powder coating what do they mike at? I've got the 160 gr mold and some other Lees that are for .309 (and others, Lyman, RCBS, that are probably not much bigger). I haven't tried powder coating yet but have read about it and was giving it serious thought because I don't think they are going to be big enough for the mg barrel. My Lee 155 2R @ .312, SPG and gc'd works great. Wanted to go from there up to 180s and see. Like to see your pics if you can get them to show up.

JX
    I'm very new to casting and powdercoating. As in, this is my first decent batch of bullets, so your mileage may vary. I need to get a bullet sizer, but I need to slug my throats first to see what I need.

Anyway, here's some pics for your viewing pleasure.

There wasn't really any flacking except where the lead legitimately got gouged by the pliers I was using to hold the bullet at first, but you can definitely see that the coat is pretty uneven, so I need to improve my method a bit. I had too many bullets or too few BBs in my container when I shaked.

Super Durable Gloss Black
    BBDT
    400* for 10 mins. Air Cooled