RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Wideners

Thread: Arisaka 6.5, 1891 Argentine Mauser Deal

Boolit Grand Master

Arisaka 6.5, 1891 Argentine Mauser Deal

These 2 guns were on a local shooting website for awhile and the seller kept lowering the price but still had no action. He put up his last price so I contacted him and made arrangements to buy both of them. Bought both for $225.00 dollars!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.5jap,1891Arg 031.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	118390Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.5jap,1891Arg 025.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	118392Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.5jap,1891Arg 035.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	118393Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.5jap,1891Arg 032.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	118394Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.5jap,1891Arg 029.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	118397
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.5jap,1891Arg 043.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	118389Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.5jap,1891Arg 044.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	118398Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.5jap,1891Arg 046.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	118395

The Arisaka is a 6.5 cal.. Intact mum but has been drilled and tapped for a scope base. barrel was shortened to about 24" and the end turned down for the the front sight. The bolt handle was radically altered and not very comfortable to use so will change it. There is very little wear on any part of the rifle, including the bolt face. The rifling is like new. Stock was cut and while I like the looks of it I am not sure how it will shoot. Under the barrel band is a piece of metal going from side to side with the barrel resting on it.
    I did a chamber cast and it is still a 6.5X50 and the barrel slugs at .267". I ordered brass and a die set from Graf & Sons. I will try jacketed bullets first and if it shoots good will probably buy a mold. I have 2 other 6.5 rifles so I guess it is time to feed them properly.

The 1891 Arg. Mauser has also been altered with the barrel about 22". Appears to still be a 7.65 X 54. Bore is bright and shiny but on the large size with a .317" throat and .3145" bore. Metal is also in very good condition. The straight bolt handle was heated and turned down slightly. I think I might install a spare Lyman receiver sight on this. I am going to do a chamber cast on it later. This is lighter than the Arisaka and might make a great elk hunting rifle for the junipers. I already have 2 other 1891s and cast boolits for my Mosin Nagants at .315" so bore size or cases are not issues.

First 4 pictures are the Arisaka, the last 4 the Mauser. Loading pictures here this morning is trying my patience.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6.5jap,1891Arg 047.jpg  

Boolit Master
    That's a great deal in my book. Work on the Jap seems to be well done.

Boolit Master

You don't run across deals like that every day. Florida's trader will see "deals" but most want full price for a used gun.
    Great find.

Boolit Master
    You got an excellent buy. I have the exact argy you do. Must been a few sporterised in this fashion. Only difference is the finish of the stock. Mine is light honey color and yours looks much better
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Boolit Master
    thats a deal, looks like loads of fun waiting to happen!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Grand Master

This is my third 1891 Arg. My first one was sold in the 60s' with the stock cut in front of the barrel band. I have since had a new old stock barrel installed (about 12?years ago) and restocked it with a Richard's out of Calif.. When I am shooting good it puts 5 rounds into 1 1/2" at 200 yards.
    I have 3 type99 Arisakas so now have a 38 to go with them. One of the 99s is full military with mum.
    I usually miss deals like this but the guns were for sale for several weeks with no takers. Many of the younger crowd do not know what these old guns are capable of, or just don't want a bolt action. More for me!

Boolit Grand Master

I installed scope bases on the Arisaka today. I took the gun to the Sportsmans Warehouse yesterday and could find no base to match the holes in the front receiver ring. It appears whoever drilled and tapped the holes did not use a jig. I used my jig to drill an additional hole in the front base between the vent holes and when installing the base discovered the front hole is not quite in the center of the receiver. I used my dremel to elongate the hole a small amount so the base sets straight on the receiver and the scope lays in the ring bases properly. Bubba!
    I got the PPU brass and Lee die set from Graf & Sons today so sometime this weekend I hope to get some ammo loaded up. Going to try some .264" jacketed bullets to see what happens. I searched for some of the .268" bullets but they are out of stock where I checked. I do want to get a 6.5 mold later.
    Also found out the safety will not stay on so have to look into that. Will be ok for shooting on the range for now. Almost looks like someone ground on the tab that keeps the safety from slipping off. I did see some dremel work on the feed ramp.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post
    It appears whoever drilled and tapped the holes did not use a jig. I used my jig to drill an additional hole in the front base between the vent holes and when installing the base discovered the front hole is not quite in the center of the receiver. I used my dremel to elongate the hole a small amount so the base sets straight on the receiver and the scope lays in the ring bases properly. Bubba!
    Also found out the safety will not stay on so have to look into that. Will be ok for shooting on the range for now. Almost looks like someone ground on the tab that keeps the safety from slipping off. I did see some dremel work on the feed ramp.
    Guess I was wrong about the work on the Jap appearing to be well done! Oh well....

Boolit Master
    That asisaka rear sight looks to be in great condition.
    I'd take it off and put it aside to use as a replacement if you find a uncut rifle that needs a rear sight.
    You could probably sell it for a fair sum to someone who needs it.

That rifle was in pretty good shape before it was bubba'ed. Thats the shame of it.

Since it is pre bubba'd I'd go full house on building a custom sporter from it.
    Though I have to say I do like the looks of the stock as is. Very handy looking.

Boolit Grand Master

I think I may just spruce up the stock some as I do like the looks of it also. Got some ammo loaded up for it now going to load some for the 1891 in the pics here.
    I have an original 1891 Arg that had a corroded barrel on it and I bought a NOS and put on it. I should have it ready for some trial loads soon.

Boolit Grand Master

I decided I should look into the safety that would not rotate in the safe position. What I found was some time in the past someone welded on a hideous bolt handle that was too short and hurt my hand to operate it. The bolt handle was keeping the bolt from rotating to the full locked position by contacting the receiver too soon. The possibility was remote but it could have opened up firing. Not what I would want to happen.

So tomorrow I will weld on a replacement bolt handle that I had in my box of parts.

Glad I checked this.

Boolit Master
    The Jap blank firing drill rifle I used to own had a pin that ran up from the sear bar to fit into a hole or slot in the bolt. If the bolt was not fully closed the pin prevented the trigger from operating. Those pins can break off fairly easily.

Boolit Grand Master

Since the bolt was not rotated far enough the tab on the outside of the safety could not go into the slot on the left side of the receiver. It would just pop back around to the off position.
    I welded on the bolt handle today and hope to finish it up tomorrow. Have two 93 Mausers to work on also. One I just installed the short chambered barrel and the rental reamer showed up this afternoon so need to get this done.

The part of Texas that has Gators and Spanish Moss instead of Longhorns and Cactus...
    Awesome deal!
    With just a little work you oughtta have yourself two excellent hunting rifles.
    7.62 NATO, It's kinda like 5.56 NATO, but for men...