Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lee vs. RCBS Lube-a-Matic for first sizer.

Banned
    Another RCBS related note.

Not every "O" framed press made by RCBS is a "Rock Chucker". The Rock Chucker is a cast iron framed press. The RS5 and Partner presses are aluminum frames. The Partner will get you started but it's not my favorite design. The Reloader Special 5 ( RS5) is a very good compromise between cost and quality.

I've had a bunch of presses over the years; some iron, some aluminum. The aluminum ones can be very strong and functional presses.
    Do your research first and spend your money second. You'll be happier in the end if you avoid buying on impulse.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 09-29-2014 at 10:16 AM.

Not sure how you roll, but if you look you can find a used lube-sizer. No need to invest full price on something to try it. If powder coating is in your future though, the Lee sizer will be fine.

Boolit Buddy
    Ordered a rock chucker, Lee sizer, Lee precision pot, rcbs 45-201-swc mold and some other goodies last night and took advantage of the $50 rebate. Still need to get about $150 of stuff next month but I have a good start.

Banned
    zanemoseley - sounds like you're off to a good start. When it come to tools (like reloading stuff) I'm a big fan of buying what you need. Some things you can save money on and some times you have to pay more so you don't have to pay twice. I have a mix of reloading equipment and spent money to buy quality when it is important and saved money when it is not.

You will be well served by that mix of RCBS and Lee products.

Good Luck !

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by zanemoseley View Post
    I think I've decide to change my plan a bit. I was looking to spend over $100 even on a used lube-a-matic plus the lube and dies. So I think I've decided to go and just get a Rock Chucker supreme to use with the Lee sizer.
    I can't tell you doodley-squat about tumble lubing (don't do it myself), but for your .45ACP plans, it should suffice. If you're going to crank the volume on the pressures, you'll probably want the hydraulic-pumping-through-deformation/obturation effect a solid band of sizer-applied lube gives you.

I will say that having broken a Lyman, the RCBS sizer that has replaced it seems to be a more stout, easier to use machine.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

I have both Lee sizer dies and a couple Lyman 450's. To be honest, I use the Lyman's almost always. It's what I learned on. I really only use the tumble lube method with 45-45-10 using my RCBS 148 DEWC for .38's
    I don't even size them. Just cast, lube, load, and shoot. Try both. You will learn what works best for you. Very easy to sell off what you don't want right here!
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Buddy
    I got my equipment last week, smelted 85lb of COWW's Saturday, cast 700 boolits Sunday and resized them today. I am 100% happy with the Rock Chucker and Lee Sizer. The Rock Chucker is a beast and the Lee is amazing for the money. It sizes .452 exactly with no honing necessary. I can tell you one thing I'm really happy I went with the Rock Chucker over the cheapo Lee press for sizing. 95% of the boolits size easy but you get the occasional one that is a PITA even with the RC, I can't imagine using the entry level Lee, it would probably be broken in short order. Here's some beauties from tonight.

Boolit Grand Master

There is no way bullet sizing would break a Lee press. I'm not going to say a Rock Chucker is a bad press. But I use a Lee Classic Cast for case forming and there are some that use it for a lot more. You're going to put more stress in the press FL sizing rifle cartridges then sizing bullets will.

Boolit Buddy
    Well the Lee Classic is a $100 press, the one I was looking at is about $30 and the handle is maybe 2/3 as long as the RC handle. The Lee Classic appears to be a much more substantial press than their cheapo model.

I got one of these about 5 years ago when I got back into reloading, and casting (from the early 80's).

I use it to reload all of my 30-06 ammo and 300 Savage ammo, and to size and lube my cast 45ACP boolits (Lee TL 200 SWC), as well as my cast 223 boolits. I love it. I have the use of a Star lube Sizer that I use for the non tumble lube 45's and it is a very fine piece of equipment. I had thought about getting dies for the 30 cal stuff, but I don't shoot enough of it to justify the cost, and so far tumble lubing non tumble lube boolits has worked just fine. My take is, use the tools that work for you.

Boolit Master

I bought one of those last year to use in a range reloading setup. Haven't done it yet but still intend to. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't do almost anything other than swage bullets or reform difficult brass. I don't do either of those so price was the determining factor. Cheaper than Ebay.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    + 1 for powdercoating. This process is fast, easy and no messy lubes. Just cast, coat, bake and size em and you are good to go.