Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
WidenersLoad DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: .38 Snubby quandry

Banned
    The "have a gun" philosophy is exactly what we are talking about! There's something that we can all agree on.

I don't think we're that far apart.

770-775 fps with a solid WC or 850 with a slightly hot SWC from a 2" barrel? The goal is to stop the bad guy from hurting/killing you.
    Now I don't think a few fps is all that critical. I also believe that the occasional five or six rounds of +P loads will not significantly harm a D- framed Colt or Airweight S&W.
    So, I will not abuse a good alloy framed S&W, Colt Cobra/Agent or old steel Detective Special by feeding it a steady diet of hot rounds but I might try to get just a little edge by using slightly hotter rounds for carry loads. Particularly if they shoot close to the same point of aim.
    I don't think that I absolutely need that edge but I also think the trade off is minimal. If my carry load shoots the same point of aim as my practice load and I only shoot 100 of those hot rounds through the gun every 10 years or so....I haven't significantly reduced the life of the gun.

A few fps isn't a big deal and is certainly not worth damaging a good gun. I'm not advocating beating up a good gun with hot practice loads. However, in a life or death situation, I don't care if I throw the gun away afterwards; it is like a parachute at that point. I'll get another one if I live.

Boolit Grand Master
    If one wishes to "cheat" a little and get maybe 50 fps more with the WC load, seating it out makes it possible to get more velocity with the same standard pressure. Conversely, if someone wanted to get 775 fps with less pressure for practice, the same rationale would apply. Velocity variation would increase a bit with the less deeply seated bullet but with careful powder choice this can be mostly a non issue. This would get you closer to what Plus P can do and any velocity left on the table after doing this, as compared to Plus P, would probably be insignificant.

The WC does show a velocity (and therefore pressure) reduction when seated out using the same charge as when seated more deeply, and a few tenths of a grain more powder are needed to bring the velocity back to what the near flush seated attained with less powder. Please confirm this for yourself using a chronograph. Slightly increasing the charge not to exceed that recommended for an equally deep seated SWC is then used as a loading rationale, using standard pressure loads as a guide, such as 4.7-4.8 grains Unique (loading manuals vary a little on top charge for standard velocity ceiling).

If the WC's fit the cylinder throats closely this is not for extended shooting sessions where powder residue and some small amount of leading may build up in the throats and inhibit chambering, but I have no problems with a reasonable amount of shooting.

Boolit Master

so now you're telling me that I need to get a wadcutter mould.
    first a hollow point semi-wadcutter, then a wide flat nose.
    when will it ever end!?

Banned
    Well it doesn't really end....but we don't tell you that right at first.
    Initially we set the hook and then carefully reel you in to the reloading/casting community. It has proven to be a very effective recruiting process.

You'all hooked me and my first attempt with 358-495's just gave me a wonderful 1 1/2' (foot) group, at 50'. This was in a 4" S+W and was like, last weeks group in a DW. I blamed that on un-sizing. I hate my new hobby. Ok highjack over. Back on topic, my Cobra shot a 1" group with plain RN Fed. red box (rest). We all know accuracy is king. I hardly ever shoot this gun but carry my own SP 158 J's, +P, I bet.

Boolit Master
    The first gun I reloaded for years ago was a 6" 32 new police (32SWL) Colt Police Positive. The reloading data for 32 calibers was all messed up and I was a green as grass noob. My first 50 loads sounded like a 357 and just weren't accurate at all. I figgered this was to hot even though it was the listed minimum load. I cut the powder about10% and went through 2 500 round boxes of Hornady 90 grain lswc's even though the boolits were all over the place. Then one day a guy brought the first cronograph I ever saw to the range . He let me shoot across it.1135 FPS. 32NP ain't supposed to do that. It was loud too and the rifling was barely visable. It took quite a while to get most of the lead out. Now here is the point: After 50 close to proof level loads and over 1000 close to magnum loads that is still a sweet shooting little gun which seems to hit where it is aimed. I have wondered if the Colt system's durability and strength aren't under rated. I'm not going to push this one and have cut the load. The old Colts are wonderful guns and I like to shoot them but finding parts is tough.
    Closest recorded range Chrony kill (3 feet with witnesses)