RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionRepackbox
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load Data

Thread: Brass Recovery

Brass Recovery

I have a Kahr CW45 on the way and am wondering how far and in what direction these things throw brass. I've had several auto handguns through the years and they all seem to have a pattern. What got me to thinking about this is that my CZ82 sends the blame things into a low orbit and I often don't find them. I do not shoot at a formal range, but on a cleared private road way.

Thanks
    Bill

Boolit Grand Master

Ejection is normally to the right up and back with most semi autos. Pressures of the load bullet wieght powder type grip firmness all influence ejection patterns.

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Ejection is normally to the right up and back with most semi autos. Pressures of the load bullet wieght powder type grip firmness all influence ejection patterns.
    Thank you Gent. I have had a lot of auto handguns and some of them have been more enthusiastic in ejecting than others. After dealing with the CZ82, I was beginning to fear I'd not recover a lot of brass without a comprehensive search. My range is grassy and its easy for brass to hide, especially if it is sent suborbital.

Bill

Boolit Master
    Try a Cz52 wow
    Frank G.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Ejection is normally to the right up and back with most semi autos. Pressures of the load bullet weight powder type grip firmness all influence ejection patterns.
    I have three Kahr's , TP45- CW45 & PM9

Try a drop cloth on the ground.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Garyshome View Post
    Try a drop cloth on the ground.
    I made anchors from muffin ingots using screw eyes, small chain and clips. Just attach to 10X12 tarp to keep the wind from blowing it away. Even then some brass will get away from you.
    John
    W.TN

Make a frame of PVC pipe just stuck, not glued together, about 8' square and drape a double layer of 5/8" bird netting available at nursery supply outlets. Place the screen close to your firing position and in the path of the ejected case. It will either catch or slow the cases so that they fall within a foot or so of the bottom of the screen. The net does not catch wind so the frame is easily supported and held in position. A ground cloth can be used unless you have a clear area for a firing position.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    The CW9 I had ejected about 4 feet away, pretty easy to find. I bet yours will do the same.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    It depends on how hard you are running it. Mine would really chuck them when loaded hot. Lighter stuff not so bad. I shoot on a big blue tarp and then just gather the corners and pour the brass into a pail.

Believe I'll go with the tarp idea. I got the Khar today and did get in a bit of shooting between the rain and skeeters. Must say that I am very impressed with this gun. The first round at 15 feet nailed a 2 inch bull! I could not believe how well it shot and how little recoil a 45 acp has in such a light gun. Oh, found the brass too!. Also shot the CZ 82 and still looking for it's brass. I don't mess with reloading the CZ so it really doesn't much matter though.

Bill

I go out in the dark with a flash light and look where i was shooting. Any brass i missed will reflect the light and i have so far had 100% recovery rate this way.

Boolit Bub
    For bullet recover try, www.brassmagnet.com. Its a little work to set up but worth it. I love mine

Boolit Master
    Hi...

I shoot on an outdoor range and typically shoot from the two positions farthest to the left. All brass is ejected on the asphalt surface at the shooting stations. I still loose some but generally find a few that others lost so I come out a few ahead each shooting session.

My WWII-bring back Luger has no ejection pattern, at least not one that is discernable to me.

It ejects to the right, straight back (not fun when it gets between your shooting glasses and your face...brass is hot!) and sometimes to the front. I invariably spend quite some time looking for 9mm brass when shooting that gun.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    Try a Cz52 wow
    Yup, sold mine and that was one of the reasons. Pitching my brand new Starline brass into the next county . . . . grumble . . . grumble . . .

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by 375supermag View Post
    My WWII-bring back Luger has no ejection pattern, at least not one that is discernable to me.
    All German guns have a distinct ejection pattern . . . out of the gun. You almost need some sort of brass umbrella when you shoot a Luger.